PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Potpourri Bowl

Hardenfast
29th November 2008, 03:54 PM
Greetings everyone. I haven't posted anything for a while as I've been too busy to enter the workshop lately. However, thanks to our useless NSW government destroying the local building industry I've had a few days of inactivity, so I knocked up something for your valued considerations.

Although I have very limited experience compared to some of you, my passion in wood turning has become segmented pieces. Having had some moderate success with various bowls in the past (eg: here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=71777) and here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=74212)) I thought I'd attempt my first hollowed form piece. Having purchased a few potpourri grilles at the last Sydney Wood Show, a potpourri bowl seemed to be a worthwhile & challenging project. This piece is my fourth segmented work.

I have still got plenty of 100+ year old sections of Australian Cedar which had been reclaimed from an old staircase in a Surry Hills (Sydney) renovation. The salvagable sections sometimes end up a little small, but that's OK for segmented pieces. There are some photos of the reclamation process in the links to previous works above - I hope they still work OK. I also have some nice well seasoned slabs of spalted Hoop Pine which I obtained locally, and some sections of this are quite spectacularly marked.

So with no particular end shape in mind I cut up a variety of six piece and twelve piece sections and began glueing them together. The two timbers have nicely contrasting features and for this piece I have used thin sections of Aus Cedar in between and to offset the Spalted Pine.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the assembly process but you get the general idea:

89902 89903 89904

89905 89906

Overall dimensions are around 160mm diameter x 110mm high with an average wall thickness of around 6mm. One heavy coat of Shellawax after a quick sand through the grits up to 400. The inside has been left raw so that it can hopefully absorb the potpourri fragrance. It's a present for our son's Canadian girlfriend who spend a year over here with us, so I thought the all Australian timbers and the Kookaburras were quite fitting.

Regards. Wayne

wheelinround
29th November 2008, 04:04 PM
:o Wayne you take a break from wood working to work your butt orf :doh:

get a break from work :rolleyes: to come back to wood work and produce an exquisite piece such as that :2tsup: brilliant wish I could see it for real colours look awesome.

Ad de Crom
29th November 2008, 08:39 PM
Wayne, good to see you back on the turners front.
Man, you made a stunning potpourri segmented bowl for that Canadian lady.
A good use of spalted pine with cedar, good looking overall shape.
Great job.
Ad :2tsup:

orraloon
29th November 2008, 08:47 PM
Wayne,
I am not usually a fan of segmented work but I do like that one.
Regards
John

Sawdust Maker
29th November 2008, 09:06 PM
an extremely nice piece
I had a glued up piece to show but buggered it by getting a catch and going straight through the side :doh:, since then I've only made pens. oh ok I lie

powderpost
29th November 2008, 10:01 PM
Looks nice. well done.
Jim

Hardenfast
29th November 2008, 10:41 PM
Many thanks Gents, all comments and compliments much appreciated.

These things are great fun and are a good way of utilising interesting small pieces and offcuts which would otherwise be destined for the bin. Hopefully I can use this one as a model for some more Christmas presents. It's been particularly well received by those who have seen it in the flesh.

artme
30th November 2008, 05:06 AM
That is a great piece Wayne!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I especially like your judicious use of the Cedar.

Ed Reiss
30th November 2008, 01:15 PM
Very, very nice Wayne:2tsup: ...ain't segmenting fun!!

Hardenfast
1st December 2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Ed. How's things in New Jersey? I've been to NY a few times but think all I've seen of NJ was an erroneous and unfortunate detour that we took when intending to drive from NY to Niagara Falls. Somehow we ended up in the seedy section of NJ - it was like a scene out of that National Lampoons movie. I remember that we found a nice Chinese restaurant though.

And yes, segmenting is really good fun - and can have some quite interesting results. I think some people get hung up on the whole maths thing, and of course the cutting & joining process looks somewhat daunting. I find that it actually doesn't take too long, apart from the actual glue drying time. I usually cut & glue up my sections and set the whole thing aside while I tend to other things. Sometimes I don't get back to them for weeks.

Artme, I treat my small resource of old Australian Cedar with great respect. I know that you can buy new stuff which probably looks just as good, but this stuff is apparently more than 120 years old and has plenty of history. I waste very little of it.

lubbing5cherubs
1st December 2008, 09:22 PM
beautiful. Great job.

Ed Reiss
2nd December 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Ed. How's things in New Jersey? I've been to NY a few times but think all I've seen of NJ was an erroneous and unfortunate detour that we took when intending to drive from NY to Niagara Falls. Somehow we ended up in the seedy section of NJ - it was like a scene out of that National Lampoons movie. I remember that we found a nice Chinese restaurant though.

And yes, segmenting is really good fun - and can have some quite interesting results. I think some people get hung up on the whole maths thing, and of course the cutting & joining process looks somewhat daunting. I find that it actually doesn't take too long, apart from the actual glue drying time. I usually cut & glue up my sections and set the whole thing aside while I tend to other things. Sometimes I don't get back to them for weeks.

Artme, I treat my small resource of old Australian Cedar with great respect. I know that you can buy new stuff which probably looks just as good, but this stuff is apparently more than 120 years old and has plenty of history. I waste very little of it.

Hardenfast, I live about 90 miles south of NYC...just across the Delaware River from Northeast Philly. There are really seedy sections of Jersey here also - Camden, which is ten miles from here, made 2nd worst in the US
As you no doubt saw on your trips here, the roadways are quite congested...been thinking of mounting a couple of machine guns to the front of the car, like James Bond has, just to have the satisfaction of blowing up the first vehicle I see with some twenty something in the driver's seat putting on make-up, talking on the cell, and eating a burger King Whopper all at the same time....and holding up the line 'cause the light has turned green, but she ain't payin' attention, so when she gets a "friendly" honk from the cars behind her, the only response from her is the middle finger.:~:~

I'm into a different type of segmenting...build the body from poplar, and the top and foot from a different wood. The body gets a textured treatment, then a couple of coats of flat black enamel....check out pic attached.
I'm with you on the math thing, so I use Tablesaw Mitre Angles program to figure out the segment dimensions...its a good program!