PDA

View Full Version : Workbench a la woodsmith... on budget

Gutta Percha
25th April 2004, 01:07 PM
I was just admiring Big Al's great workbench need to find the time to put the drawers in mine.
What has inspired me to put my bench on display was to give a few of those woodies that can't afford the $1000+ on hardware and timber to go for it anyway. Mine cost less than $100 including all the conumables, glue, oil and extra long drill bit that I needed.
It's all recycled 'Vic Ash' from an old house (I reckon about 80yrs old). At this stage there was no buzzer/jointer/planer or thicknesser on the scene. All dressing of timber was with electric plane and finished with hand plane(singular). The vice screws were welded to some press looking arrangement that Dad had picked up from the tip and had been sitting behind his shed (all seized up) for years.
Mostly the pattern came from a Woodsmith/Time-Life book and the design of the front vice from the Triton pattern book.
After using it for a year I think it's a great design ... I just need those drawers underneath and I'm thinking of putting a series (in pairs) of round dogholes from the front vice, although I haven't actually needed them yet so that's why I haven't done it yet.

MajorPanic
25th April 2004, 10:32 PM
Excellent looking bench!!

I've seen a few benches with the enclosed tail vice and it looks interesting. I reckon you have done execptionally well to bring it in under $100
OK now what are the dimensions?? and do you find the rear tool tray helpful?

Vasco
26th April 2004, 12:06 AM
Gutta Percha,
that is a very good looking bench. I always like to see projects done from materials laying around. It is amazing that you built it for $100. I have the same question as Major, is the rear tool tray useful or a hinderance?
Well done.
Regards vasco

bigAl
26th April 2004, 02:05 AM
G'day Gutta Percha,

That's a great job, really nice looking bench. One of my regrets was not building in a light coloured wood which would have been a little easier to find stuff and for layout.

One thing about the drawers, be careful with layout as if you're planning to use bench hold downs, they've got to have room between the bench top and the top of the drawer carcase.

Finally, at under $100, I'd to say that I feel a little nauseous and I'd like to offer you a job as Purchasing Manager...

All the best,

Al.

GC
26th April 2004, 11:08 PM
Under a $100 for that!

Well done firstly on the quality and second for 'resourcefulness'

gc

Gutta Percha
27th April 2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments

you prob also noted that I posted a pic of the sliding dog block assembly from this bench on the 'Perfect workbench' Thread on the General woodworking forum (see below)

Major & Vasco
Dimensions of the workbench are 1600 x 700 mm
why? because that was approximately the size of the one in the pattern and not knowing any better I made it that size plus whatever the the dimensions of the timber took it to.
The height is exactly the the same height as my triton workcenter as I found that the right height for me and I thought it might be a handy support when handling big stuff.

So far I have found the rear tool tray fantastic ... not having any woodworking at school and not having used anything but a kitchen table or the triton extension table so it looked good to me. The centre tool tray didn't inspire me as I thought I'd be trying to balance on the front plank all the time. The tool tray is about 160mm wide and 75mm deep. So it can hold most of my hand tools without the sticking up. I also find it handy when I am in a messy mood then go to move my work and it only pushed the tools into the tray where I can find them. what's more it has a handy little sliding panel in the base at the centre to make it easy for cleaning.

Strange but if I had to do things again the design wouldn't change at all. (and believe me, that is strange for me)

GP

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8473&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Shekel
30th April 2004, 01:43 PM
Yes, a nice piece of work. What I especially like is the height adjustment feature in the bottom right hand corner.

How much time did that take to design and build?

regards,
Greg :cool:

Shekel
30th April 2004, 01:54 PM
Yes, a nice piece of work. What I especially like is the height adjustment feature in the bottom right hand corner.

How much time did that take to design and build?

regards,
Greg :cool: