PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Sturdee

ozwinner
25th April 2004, 02:56 PM
Hi
Sorry Sturdee, but I got too and made a training wheel for my BIG belt sander today.
I helps stop dig in, which I'm sure you have all had happen with belt sanders.
Only tryed it a couple of times, but it works ok.

Cheers, Mini Sturdee :D

Sturdee
25th April 2004, 04:48 PM
Allan, congratulations and welcome to the world of jig builders.:D

I am glad you followed up on the " training wheel " brain storming session idea and that it works okay. But please, if you want to be known as "Mini Sturdee", than paint it orange.

So what is your next jig ?

Peter the original Sturdee :D

ozwinner
25th April 2004, 04:54 PM
Is it contaigous, jig building I mean? :D

I used to be a jig builder in a former life, I used to work in the metal industry and used to make jigs for the welding robot, that robot was so lazy............:rolleyes:

Cheers, Mini

Sturdee
25th April 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ozwinner
Is it contaigous, jig building I mean? :D

Yes it is, if you are not carefull you will look at things and say I can build it better. When that happens you're hooked.

Peter.

morry
26th April 2004, 05:20 PM
Being a tight fisted so and so I would look at tools and jigs and think I could build it for a quater of the cost. So added the metal lathe,welder,vertical mill,taps and dies,rotary table etc etc.
It is a great feeling though when they work well and last a great deal longer because annoying plastic bits dont break off.

ozwinner
26th April 2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Sturdee

So what is your next jig ?

Peter the original Sturdee :D

I am part way through building the drum sander, I decided to go with the timber drum after being quoted $150 for one steel drum.
I expect it will cost all up about the price of one steel drum, as I already have a motor.

Cheers, Al

Sturdee
26th April 2004, 06:34 PM
Al, are you taking photos of the construction details as you go along and which of the plans are you following.

I know that there are three members ( myself included ) who will be waiting on your photos to help them build it also.

Peter.

ozwinner
26th April 2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Peter
I will take photos of the most important stages, I'm sure most people here can join the dots. :D

I'm makeing a mongrel version, I dont yet know where it will go, or what it will look like.
I'll keep you posted, the timber drum is complete and is 600mm wide, and I'm in the process of collecting all the other bits and pieces.

Cheers, Al :)