PDA

View Full Version : Drying cabinet

Rum Pig
2nd December 2008, 09:18 AM
I have come across a drying cabinet used for drying film it stand about 1600 high in good working order that is just going to be dumped.

I was wondering if this might be a good way to dry timber blanks in or would it dry them to quickly. I will try and get some photos for you to have a look at.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rum Pig
2nd December 2008, 10:42 AM
Her are the photos

Is it worth saving:?

DJ’s Timber
2nd December 2008, 10:49 AM
I'd grab it, looks very similar to the old clothes dryer.

I'd hazard a guess and say yes it'd get too hot but you could mount a globe in it instead to heat and it'll be a gentle heat instead.

I have one (clothes dryer) sitting here on my back balcony that is going to get the same treatment one of these days when I get round to it.

OGYT
2nd December 2008, 11:17 AM
I have an old film drying cabinet from my years as a photographer. It's not as large as yours.
On yours, wire racks inside, with enough separation from the one's below, might make a decent dryer for smaller forms that are rough turned. It would be nice for drying finishes on pieces, also.
I never thought about using mine, due to the inside measurement being approximately 250mm square.

hughie
2nd December 2008, 12:36 PM
Absolutely its a keeper, might be small but the price is right. :2tsup:

Rum Pig
2nd December 2008, 12:52 PM
Ok I will save it.

I'd hazard a guess and say yes it'd get too hot but you could mount a globe in it instead to heat and it'll be a gentle heat instead.

What temp should it be to dry the blanks??
I'm told that you can adjust the temp on it.

robutacion
2nd December 2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I agree, grab it with both hands and run, that is a good dryer you got there, I wish I had one like that.

I have no experience of film drying but, one don't need to be a rock scientist to work out that if it was made to dry something as sensitive as film, it could not harm timber. Indeed, and from what I can see from the pics, it has all the adjustments you ever need (temp. control & temp. gauge). Do a little search and ask questions to those who used before, get some hints and you should be on your way to dry timber "safely"!

If is too much trouble, send it to me...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
2nd December 2008, 01:49 PM
Ditto...go for it!!!

rodent
2nd December 2008, 01:53 PM
R P ive got one of the clothes driers that dj has grab it . Since you are in the N T see if the fan is on all the time if so great if not wire it so . then put a 240 volt timer into the wall and run it for one hour on 4hours off and run at 30 deg c . put in another 2 shelves

Rum Pig
2nd December 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Rodent that sounds like good advice and I will check out the fan.