PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with finish

thefixer
2nd December 2008, 08:06 PM
G'day all

I'm hoping someone out there in turner land can help me with this one. I've finished turning this and have sanded and finished the outside with shellawax glow, not an easy task because of the shape but eventually I got that part done and so far I'm very happy with it. Now the hard part. I sanded the inside mostly by hand because there is no way I'm sticking my onkaparingas in there while spinning on the lathe:( So far I've spent about eight hours sanding and am only down to 600 grit:((, so a while to go yet. Now, my question is; what finish should I use on the inside. Obviously a friction polish is out of the question and the natural edge I think will not take too kindly to a buffing pad, besides I dont want to risk getting a catch and buggering the whole thing up.
What are your thoughts? Wipe on poly or some other alternative.
All suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Shorty

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd December 2008, 10:22 PM
Rustin's Danish Oil. :)

thefixer
2nd December 2008, 11:00 PM
Rustin's Danish Oil. :)

Thanks Skew. I kinda figured you would know. Available at Carbatec I assume?

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
2nd December 2008, 11:54 PM
I reckon oil would be the shot too, but I really just wanted to know what timber it is Shorty - Holly perhaps????

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd December 2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks Skew. I kinda figured you would know. Available at Carbatec I assume?

Ya know, I've no idea? I source mine from The Woodsmith in Croydon, but I think Jim Carroll also stocks it. Carbatech would probably have some form of Danish, but Rustin's is my preference by a looong way.

It's looking good, BTW. I wouldn't be sticking my fumblers in there while 'twas spinning either. :)

artme
3rd December 2008, 05:36 AM
The Danish oil is best done wipe on buff off over several coats.

Great looking piece an good turning!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

thefixer
3rd December 2008, 06:16 AM
I reckon oil would be the shot too, but I really just wanted to know what timber it is Shorty - Holly perhaps????
Hi TTIT

I have no idea idea what timber it is. I get a lot of my stuff from a tree lopper company near where I work. They dump the mulch and logs in their car park with a "free for all" sign and the inconsiderate buggers don't have the decency to label the logs as to which tree they are from.:oo:

Cheers
Shorty

Rum Pig
3rd December 2008, 08:49 AM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 854454" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>thefixer</TD><TD class=alt1>

I have no idea idea what timber it is. I get a lot of my stuff from a tree lopper company near where I work. They dump the mulch and logs in their car park with a "free for all" sign and the inconsiderate buggers don't have the decency to label the logs as to which tree they are from.:oo:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sounds like it is time for bribery and corruption:D
I'm sure if you wet there taste buds every now and then they would make a special pile for you with labels:U

hughie
3rd December 2008, 10:19 AM
Ithe inconsiderate buggers don't have the decency to label the logs as to which tree they are from.:oo:typical of young fellas to day, no idea on how to go about things. :U

putting all that a side, nice one.