PDA

View Full Version : Woodburner from Battery Charger.

OGYT
7th December 2008, 06:17 AM
Thought this may interest some on this forum. It's good for decorating woodturnings.
I got this info from another forum, and built my own.

This is how I made mine. Bought an old type Battery Charger at a garage sale for $5, and ran the electric lead through a ceiling fan speed control switch (rheostat switch). Rigged a plug receptacle near by, and shortened the electric lead, just to get rid of some of the length of wire. (pic one)
I cut the battery clamps off the charger leads.
Took a 6" piece of walnut for the "pen", shaped it, drilled a hole through it, and then cut a flat on the big end. I ran the charger leads through the hole in the pen, and attached them to a small terminal block, which I then screwed down on the flat. (pic 2 Two of the screws in the terminal block are covered by tape. Thought that might make me know where to put my fingers when holding it. )
I stuck two short pieces of 12 gauge wire into the terminal block (heat sink?), and attache a terminal block to each, (plastic removed). (pics 2,3,4)
You can make the pen tip from nichrome wire. That's the type of wire used in electric heaters and hair dryers and such. This pen tip (pic 2,3) is what I use to write on the bottoms of my turnings. I bent the wire, hammered it flat, and then filed it to a point, which I sanded smooth with 400 grit, so it would slide when I write with it.
Pic 4 shows a tip that makes a pretty fair basket weave pattern for texturing, etc. (If you don't shake as bad as me)
The whole lot is mounted on a piece of plywood that I scabbed from something else (redneck at work). :D
Works a treat.

echnidna
7th December 2008, 07:33 AM
not elegant but workable,:)

Hey - who nicked me battery charger? :p

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2008, 11:42 AM
and ran the electric lead through a ceiling fan speed control switch (rheostat switch). Rigged a plug receptacle near by, and shortened the electric lead, just to get rid of some of the length of wire. (pic one)

From my understanding, that's the supply lead into the Charger, is that correct?

OGYT
7th December 2008, 12:30 PM
From my understanding, that's the supply lead into the Charger, is that correct?

No, not the electricity supply lead. That's on the other side, going through the switch to the plug.
It's the leads you attach to the battery... that's what I ran through the walnut handle, to attach the point to.
The leads are run through the hole, and each one is attached to a separate side of the terminal block, which is attached to the 12 ga heat sink wires, which is attached to a bared terminal blocks, which is attached to the ends of the burner wire.:2tsup:
The burner wire gets hot, because it makes the connection between the two leads.
It doesn't matter which lead goes where, because it's not charging, it's just making heat.
Hope this makes it clear. I've even confused meself. :o

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm talking about the lead that is running through the Ceiling Fan Speed Control, is this the supply or the one to the Walnut handle?

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2008, 12:41 PM
OK, I've drawn a quick diagram showing what I think you've said.

Ed Reiss
7th December 2008, 01:18 PM
Al...very inventive use for the charger!:2tsup:

DJ...that's would be a yes per your diagram:U

OGYT
7th December 2008, 02:08 PM
Your diagram is right, DJ. I didn't understand you. :D

Thanks, Ed. It's not original with me, but it works a treat.

woodwork wally
8th December 2008, 08:48 PM
good one Al :Dand for the aussie forumites you can get the wire from Jim Carrolls and Irene in a small pack of mixed size and good value:2tsup::2tsup: cheers WW Wally

TTIT
10th December 2008, 12:25 AM
If I hadn't inherited a couple of burners I'd have a go at that one myself Al - top job :2tsup: - but settle down mate! - looks like your writing on everything in sight :o I'll bet the dog's even been branded :;:U

OGYT
10th December 2008, 08:02 AM
If I hadn't inherited a couple of burners I'd have a go at that one myself Al - top job :2tsup: - but settle down mate! - looks like your writing on everything in sight :o I'll bet the dog's even been branded :;:U

Got a little bit in a hurry to try it out. Thought if it'd burn the ply it'd do anything else ok. :p
But I didn't brand the dog. He left in too much of a hurry!!:D

orraloon
10th December 2008, 08:25 AM
Good one Al.
It's the clever use of old junk that makes shed time so good.
Regards
John

artme
10th December 2008, 09:50 AM
I like it Ogyt!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Guess who's got a rarely used battery charger at home and several fan control switches.??:):):)