PDA

View Full Version : Jepson MC1100

masoth
7th December 2008, 12:30 PM
I having a bit of trouble with the locking device on the headstock of my lathe.
Does any one know this machine?

soth

hughie
7th December 2008, 01:52 PM
masoth,

Sounds real familar, but to be on the safe side post a pic.Also can you be a bit more specific on your problem?

But dont think it will be hard to sort out. A lot of folks here a MC1100 in some shape or form. Basically the MC1100 is a generic lathe that all and sundry buy and put thier brand on to resell.

masoth
7th December 2008, 03:08 PM
The MC1100 headstock locks to the bed via a lever, and this lever does not stay in the lock position. This (of course) permits the headstock to move along the bed and wobble sideways, and it can cause the tailstock support to fail.
Sorry, no picture which wouldn't show much anyway.

soth

robyn2839
7th December 2008, 04:05 PM
tighten up the nut underneath,only a small amount at a time

masoth
7th December 2008, 04:13 PM
Ah ha! Thank you, muchly.

Soth

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2008, 11:55 PM
tighten up the nut underneath,only a small amount at a time

Or replace them with Nylock nuts so they don't vibrate loose :;

masoth
8th December 2008, 12:07 AM
Good idea, DJ, Thanks.
Are common old hardware stores likely to have nylock nuts?

soth

DJ’s Timber
8th December 2008, 12:16 AM
They probably do but not in the size you require :doh:, they probably would only stock up to 3/8" or 1/2" and from memory they are 1" or 25mm I think but you might be in luck as I bought some to do the same thing and I have a feeling I have one sitting in the top of my toolbox at home. I'll check when I get back home sometime tomorrow or the day after.

madcraft
9th December 2008, 10:08 AM
masoth

If you can't find any Nylocs in the size you want . you could use loctite on it { I'm assuming that this nut isn't supposed to be loosened and retightened

you can find Loctite at any car supply place

masoth
9th December 2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Glenn,
The nut is to allow repositioniing the headstock (or removing it) as need be.

soth

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2008, 07:09 AM
Finally remembered to go and have a look in my toolbox and yes I still have one, it's been sitting there for the last 7 yrs, so send me a PM with your address and I'll get it off to you tomorrow :2tsup:

What's the bet that I'll find a use for it after I've posted it :roll: :doh:

masoth
21st December 2008, 07:18 AM
DJ, thank you vey much:2tsup:. Before I finished reading your post I thought "What's the bet that I'll find a use for it after I've posted it", and decided to politely and humbly reject your offer.
The thought is indicative of the great forum we are part of, and the bond between 'woodies' - I really can't accept the wonderful offer and hope you will not take offence because none is iintended.

soth.

woodwork wally
22nd December 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Masoth The nut allows you to take up the wear on the cam mechanism that is used when you want to slide your headstock along the bed. Something that is infrequently used on mine and almost never on some MC1100 as the have the headstock sitting in a dropped section. The nut only needs to be undone if you are taking the headstock right off if you have the drop bead system. the rest of the time the cam does all your work and a small amount of locktite will do the job and allow you to undo when needs be . be sur to not do the nut up excessivly to a point tht your cam becomes inoperable Cheers for now WW.Wally