PDA

View Full Version : ... and you lose some!

rsser
7th December 2008, 03:43 PM
This is out of the SO I was giving away a while ago.

15 cm high x 25 cm wide.

Doesn't show well in the pics but the darker timber is a deep pink/brown ... only a few bits had this.

At the end there was only one small crack in the rim and the timber stayed pretty stable during turning. The outside is finished to 320 grit and with n/c sanding sealer. Didn't bother with the inside cos ...

Form is pretty ratsh*t. I decided on a recess in the base to avoid the hassle of rechucking and as you can see, it's wide and results in a fat 'hip'. Had I taken the trouble to draw this one before turning it would've been obvious but nah, had to rush into it :(

Then the retaining clip on the saddle pin of the toolgate rotated and took the bark off the high points :~

At least the walls at the high and low points of the rim are even thickness.

The high points were level in the half-log; the low weren't and I adjusted the point of the mounting hole for the shark jaws by eye and that worked :oo:

If anyone's interested in the order of work and the tools used I'll describe them in my blog.

btw, in the current Australian Wood Review, Raffan has an article on turning 'bark edge' bowls.

Harry72
7th December 2008, 05:36 PM
Looks like an old war helmet upside down:)

rsser
7th December 2008, 05:47 PM
LOL. Just needs a good finial for Fritz ;-}

jefferson
7th December 2008, 06:40 PM
Nice work Ern. I'm ready for another lesson! Please explain the details!

Jeff

hughie
7th December 2008, 10:30 PM
Hmm, all said and done Ern its still not a bad effort.

As to rushing, oh well, its what we all do, all too often :U

artme
7th December 2008, 11:03 PM
Not bad Ern, not bad at all.:):):)

joe greiner
8th December 2008, 02:10 AM
What they said, Ern, especially the thin walls - looks like about 7mm. If you can find some bits of broken bark, glue them back on and lie about it (except to other turners).

Is this your first natural edge? Unless I'm mistaken, all except burls will give a "fat hip" when taken crosswise from a round log, and the final result with sloping sides looks oval from above.

Joe

rsser
8th December 2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks.

Yep Joe ... I did look for the bark bits but was ankle deep in shavings. Had the form been better it may have been worth digging further.

Wall is 6mm thick. A second crack has opened up, confirming my hunch that n/c sanding sealer does work to reduce the rate of drying (as I didn't bother with the inside this time).

This is about the 5th or 6th natural edge bowl I've done. I'll post some more guff on my blog later on.

rsser
8th December 2008, 08:07 AM
Order of work, tools and more pics here:

http://ern.reeders.net.au/

jefferson
8th December 2008, 09:32 AM
Ern, your site is terrific. I suggest others have a look at it, highly recommended. And very candid comments about one's own work.

You might explain some of the technicalities at the BBQ!

Jeff

rsser
8th December 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

I guess I should've said as well that I had fun doing this piece. Green wood is easy to turn (and so is also good for beginning bowl turners, wink) and it's fun having ribbons of wood streaming over your shoulder.

Ed Reiss
8th December 2008, 12:48 PM
Hmmmmmm...we've all probably had pieces that didn't quite make the grade in our own liking, but have sold anyway. Put it in with your other stuff and see if it does.

Suggestion "Ern...lose the rest of the bark for a nice undulating edge.:U

munruben
8th December 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow, if I turned something that good I would be over the moon. :):2tsup:

rsser
8th December 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks John ... but it wasn't up to my best.

Ed, yep, could carve the rim .. form still wouldn't pass muster though.

On reflection, I could've redone the foot as a tenon to slim down the 'hip'; narrower, with the poss of tearing out of the chuck while hollowing, and in any case prob needing a clean up ... being a Sunday I couldn't access U shaped rubber gasket to top a 4" bit of DWV pipe on a cobbled together vac chuck.

There's a few more lumps of the stuff left for another try.

OGYT
10th December 2008, 08:16 AM
As far as us more inexperienced are concerned, it's a fine tutorial. Even if you did lose some bark. Thanks, Ern. I liked your blog, too. :thumbsup:

rsser
10th December 2008, 05:10 PM
Appreciate the feedback Al.

rsser
12th December 2008, 05:41 PM
FWIW, as an experiment I wrapped the bowl in a plakky bag.

The two cracks have enlarged slightly.

But there's fur growing in a few patches. Obviously a good deal of sugar in the wood, if Tim from Bowerbird is right.

The deep pink/brown now looks like a muddy brown.

Will leave it unwrapped to see how the race between cracking and going oval pans out.