PDA

View Full Version : Almost completed

wheelinround
8th December 2008, 02:28 PM
Due to a few reasons these couple of items have taken some time (months) to do.

lack of Cole Jaws (now fixed), weather, some lousy stomach bug which s still hanging around........yeh and given me them too:~

Oh and LOML comendering the lathe for 3 days to do 10 pens.:roll: good argument for a better one for me or hurry up and fix the one for her minitures and pens.:doh:

All Camphor

Handled pot was two pieces which I had stacked and saw the grain match :rolleyes::D

yeh handle is a bit small but I can fit my ugly mit in. It has a plastic tapered liner inside was going to originally be a new desk pen caddy for myself. I am still undecided if I should make it more like a Styne with a hinged lid :rolleyes: Finished with 5 coats of WOP

The smaller one also camphor this came from outbacker/Noel finished with a home brewed friction polish has terrible mark inside where the knot went right through.
Also has provision for a lid.
I am looking for in my stash a piece to suit.

Potporie bowl I have a lid a manufactured one but was in a box, I have design for a scrollsaw lid what you think. Finished in WOP outside only.

Allan at Wallan
8th December 2008, 03:05 PM
Nice to see you both hard at work Ray.

This should convince Sue that you really do need
two (lathes) to tango.

Well done - like 'em all.:2tsup:

Allan

munruben
8th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Nice work Ray, heaps of character in that timber, looks great. Will be interesting to learn how you did the handles and how they are fixed to the pot.

ptc
8th December 2008, 03:09 PM
Very Neat.
Well Done 5 Stars!

munruben
8th December 2008, 03:13 PM
P.S. You should have had that other lathe finished by now you lazy old bugger instead of sitting around all day soaking up the sunshine. :)

Ed Reiss
8th December 2008, 10:16 PM
Ray...you should do a turn-around on TL and make a pottery saucer for the mug!:U

Well done!:2tsup:

wheelinround
8th December 2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments :2tsup:

Ed the tiles are 6" so the saucer would need to be 8 at least :;

Woodlee
8th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Nice work ,
You should get a new lathe mate .I reckon two lathes are better than one.

Kev.

artme
9th December 2008, 05:41 AM
Lovely work Wheelin.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Particularly like the Mug.

Rum Pig
9th December 2008, 08:45 AM
Very nice C.L is nice timber to work with.:2tsup:
And as everyone else said time for that second lathe:U

Ed Reiss
9th December 2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the comments :2tsup:

Ed the tiles are 6" so the saucer would need to be 8 at least :;

Right....super-sized!!:U

OGYT
9th December 2008, 02:42 PM
Nice mugs! Glad you're hard at it... we need to see more of these.
Like John, I'm looking to see how the handles were made and attached. This is exceptional work!

wheelinround
9th December 2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the accolades:B

Ok the handle I didn't make only because at the time I didn't have a scrowllsaw and still don't have a BS. I and David agree thicker handle next time...............already have next insert:D just need the wood that looks good.:2tsup:

It was rough cut on a BS final shaped on Scrollsaw a bit of Dremel work for those top and bottom areas and shaped bits. A lot of hand sanding :roll: Shaped to face up to side of Styne.

Attached with epoxy no pins I was going to also use brass pins but the shape of the handle and wall thickness with liner would not allow it.

Is it is not really for drinking out of weight should not prove an issue.

Should it come apart at the join a reglue and brass straping will be in order.

Ray

wheelinround
9th December 2008, 08:20 PM
A lidded box with Peppermint gum finial 150 dia x 90h not including the finial.

The lid of this was to be for one of those above it was cose to being finished when I had to look for some timber and I found the second piece on the shelf. :roll:
Instant change :doh::U but I am happy with it finished with friction polish.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/ST40ifoOPsI/AAAAAAAAAGA/JjoOCOvTdxQ/s320/IMG_2815.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/ST40h39mtkI/AAAAAAAAAFw/554eoffYITI/s320/IMG_2813.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/ST40hR7EV8I/AAAAAAAAAFg/vBDe7hp3mPU/s320/IMG_2810.jpg

budgieman
9th December 2008, 08:45 PM
Doh! I have a looooooong way to go!
Beautiful work.
cheers
Steve

Rum Pig
10th December 2008, 09:05 AM
Nice very nice:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
That is a good piece well done

munruben
10th December 2008, 01:21 PM
Nice work Ray. You have done an excellent job on those pieces.:2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
20th December 2008, 02:47 PM
Found a piece of Cedar approx 6"x1" and made a lid for the what is now lidded box/biscuit barrel lid pull/finial is Red Cedar and Beef wood at the top made square to suit the person its for. An aging gent who has 3 fingers missing on one hand it will be easy to grip and pull.

Brendan1152
20th December 2008, 06:18 PM
Very Nice, CL came up great:2tsup:

hughie
20th December 2008, 06:48 PM
Ray,

Looks like your given the garage a good work out. Nice boxes. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
20th December 2008, 09:32 PM
Ray
they are all extremely nice work
I'll have to wander over for some lessons - if I only had time!

PS - get the second lathe! Can't be idle because can't get at the tools :no:

wheelinround
21st December 2008, 09:07 AM
Thank's Brendan the smell of Macadamia oil has taken away the smell of Camphor thank goodness as LOML will be filling it with Macadamia Nut biscuits, the under side of the Cedar Lid is not finished at all and adds to the scent.

Yeh at last Hughie now weather is more conducive :2tsup:
Saw in another thread about a move hope it has a bigger shed for you.

Nick :B yeh right as both Brendan and Hughie can tell you another lathe wont fit as for lessons :rofl: I'm a throw it on the lathe and see what comes of it sort of person.
Your welcome to call in any time Nick.:2tsup: