PDA

View Full Version : Recent victims off the Stubby

Caveman
15th December 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi all,

A few pic's of some pieces that the stubby has recently gotten her teeth into.
These have all been turned on my new'ish' Teknatool Titan chuck - a lovely piece of engineering.

I got this chuck in May this year having mentioned on the forum that I was on the look out for one. I was extremely fortunate that a forum member (powderpost (http://powderpost)) happened to have one going. The deal was done and it winged it's way to me and has been given a thorough workout since then - thanks again Jim:2tsup: (it's been some time getting some evidence of the beast in use!:D).

This is a nice piece (22") of East African Camphor (Ocotea usambarensis) sandwiched between a newly roughout lump of Toona cedrela and another large bit of Camphor
Another couple of big lumps being roughed out - pity these will take a year or so to dry).
91502 91503
Some big pieces turned out of Jacaranda recently (19" and 20"):
91506 91507
A lovely large platter - Mangifera indica (20").
91504 91505
The largest piece I've done so far was 30" in diameter but this was snaffled up before I could even get a picture:-.

I have found the chuck extremely useful in dealing with big stuff but also it can be very refined in it's use. I have made quite a few plates / platters with the chuck used in a recess in expansion mode. This is left as is so that the utility item can be returned to the lathe at a later stage if need be for re-finishing or some such.
Some of the recesses have literally only been 2 to 3mm deep and this has been more than sufficient to safely hold the piece.
Albizia schimperiana (13")
91509 91510 91511
Mangifera indica (12")
91512 91513

wheelinround
15th December 2008, 08:57 PM
:o Andy they are magnificent works that Magnifica looks great

in the photo of you holding the camphor it almost look like your right thumb is showing through from the other side :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
15th December 2008, 09:35 PM
:2tsup:

powderpost
15th December 2008, 09:50 PM
Good looking stuff Andy.
Jim

orificiam
15th December 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm lost for words Andy, Grrrreat work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony.

tea lady
15th December 2008, 10:16 PM
Geeeeeeez! Makes my saucers look a bit small.:C

Fantastic. :2tsup:

44Ronin
15th December 2008, 10:48 PM
woah that bowl is HUGE!

dai sensei
15th December 2008, 10:54 PM
Amazing stuff :2tsup:

munruben
15th December 2008, 10:57 PM
Wow. :2tsup:

TTIT
15th December 2008, 11:13 PM
Very impressive stuff Andy :2tsup: So what size jaws are you using on that chuck (assuming they are normal bowl jaws of course)
Does that magnifera work as good as it looks??? - if it does I might have to come over for a visit one day with the chainsaw :;

Caveman
16th December 2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for all comments:2tsup:.

in the photo of you holding the camphor it almost look like your right thumb is showing through from the other side :rolleyes:
Weird that! Just noticed it now myself! The bowl is about 1" (20 to 25mm) thick so I can guarantee it's not see through!

So what size jaws are you using on that chuck (assuming they are normal bowl jaws of course)
Does that magnifera work as good as it looks??? - if it does I might have to come over for a visit one day with the chainsaw :;
Thanks Vern - I think the jaws are what what they call Titan jaws - a very large version of their power grip jaws.

That mangifera is plain old mango:D, but it seems to like the conditions here - all the bits I've turned have had some nice figure and a bit a spalting of some sort.

Another chainsaw is always very welcome here - the wood shed is overflowing!

La truciolara
16th December 2008, 02:53 AM
Very very nice ash trays..... for chain smokers :U
Congratulation

Manuka Jock
16th December 2008, 03:11 AM
They just keep getting bigger and bigger ,

where will it all end :o

-------------------------
Vern
here are the specs for the big nova jaws

" A ‘supersized’ PowerGrip design these jaws combined with the power and capacity of the Titan Chuck (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Titan/titan_chuck.htm) – have far the most powerful grip of any other chuck or jaw combination.

Able to hold spigot work up to 19” long.
Special 3 hole fixing means these jaws can only be used in conjunction with the Nova Titan 5” Chuck, as the extra gripping power of the chuck enhances the PowerGrip’s action.
Able to hold large work up to 750mm (29”) in diameter (with a dovetail facility with up to 120mm (5”) recess). "

Ed Reiss
16th December 2008, 03:27 AM
:2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
16th December 2008, 05:27 AM
Very well done, Andy:2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
16th December 2008, 08:46 AM
Well done Andy:2tsup::2tsup:

I guess you like your salad :D

hughie
16th December 2008, 09:13 AM
:2tsup: great stuff :2tsup:

Harry72
17th December 2008, 01:49 AM
Standing there with a huge piece in hand over a stubby lathe... where's yer bloody smile Andy?(should be ear to ear)

Beautiful work mate, well done

NeilS
18th December 2008, 12:00 PM
- the wood shed is overflowing!

Sounds like woodturners heaven to me, all that wood and top class gear.... all being used to very good effect....:2tsup:

Neil

Caveman
19th December 2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks all for the nice remarks:2tsup:.

Standing there with a huge piece in hand over a stubby lathe... where's yer bloody smile Andy?(should be ear to ear)
Beautiful work mate, well done
Not exactly photogenic!!!
Will stick to just plain pics of my pieces I think:D.