PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee’s apprentice.

ozwinner
1st May 2004, 04:15 PM
Sturdee’s apprentice.
Hi all
Here is a drum sander I am part way through making.
The drum is made up of pine, ripped to 11.25 degrees so it forms a circle.
I then biscuited them together.
The drum is 200mm in diameter and 600mm long, with 16 segments ripped at 40mm ish.
I used ply for the end plates, and glued and screwed them to the pine drum.
I then whacked the whole lot on the lathe to get some sort of roundness out of it all.
I will have to sand the entire thing when it is all up and running, so as to get it really round in situ.
The bench was an old desk we had with a really thick top, the top is 40mm thick chipboard with a laminate top.
I will hinge the drum carriage to the back of the desk at the bottom.
When fully forward, or back, which ever way you look at it, it will sand down to 6mm, when fully pivoted forward, or back, it will sand just over 100mm.
The height adjustment will be a screw from the rear of the desk.
I hope to place the motor on the frame under the desk, and run the belt up through the desk.
The dust/safety cover will probably cover the whole thing, I also intend to put a BIG stop switch on top somewhere just in case it wants to sand me too.
All up so far it has cost about $100 as I already have a motor.
But as yet I still need to get a stepped pulley for the drum itself.

So I envisage maybe $200 all up.
Not bad, when you consider the price of factory made units.

Cheers, Allan

ozwinner
1st May 2004, 04:16 PM
Picture number 2

Al

ozwinner
1st May 2004, 04:20 PM
Piccy 3

Al

Bob Willson
1st May 2004, 05:22 PM
Great start Allan

How are you intending to attach the paper to the drum. That, I think, is always the really hard bit to work out.

ozwinner
1st May 2004, 05:28 PM
I was going to use chewing gum, so start chewing, I need donations to help out.

Al

Sturdee
1st May 2004, 05:41 PM
Looking good so far, Allan.

Peter.

DPB
4th May 2004, 08:58 PM
But where's the orange?:D

Sturdee
4th May 2004, 11:50 PM
It is still in the building stage and not yet ready for painting.:D

Peter.

MrFixIt
5th May 2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Allan

I like it :D

I'm curious to know though, why did you choose to work across the desk instead of along the desk?

Regards

Peter

ozwinner
6th May 2004, 08:15 AM
Hi
Mainly because I made the drum first and it is too wide for the other way, then I came across the unused desk.
I though I would try it all out first, if it works ok I will make a decent stand for it.
So far I am impressed with it all, and today I am hopeing to fire it up.

Al

Bob Willson
6th May 2004, 04:00 PM
Well lets have some more piccys then. I think we are all very interested in this project.

Sturdee
6th May 2004, 06:35 PM
Allan,

A further suggestion for you to consider in building the ultimate drum sander.

Build 3 or 4 rollers and place them in line with spacer blocks to stop the wood being lifted up between the rollers. Then apply to each roller a different grit of sandpaper, say 60 to the first, 90 to the second, 120 to the third and 160 to the last.

This way when you feed through a piece of timber it will be sanded and ready for use in one pass without changing sandpaper grits all the time.

Don't know if one motor will turn all rollers but separate old washing machine/dryer motors are cheap to get for them.

Peter.

Caliban
6th May 2004, 08:44 PM
Al
Before I retired as a spelling Nazi I might have picked you up for your very last sentence where you misspelled hoping. But not now.:D I was impressed with your efforts, even if you don't care.
Well done, either intentionally or not.
cheers
Jim. (ex spelling Nazi);)

echnidna
6th May 2004, 09:15 PM
Peter's suggestion of staged drums is a great suggestion, but get the hang of a simple sander before you build an elaborate one.

ozwinner
7th May 2004, 03:24 PM
Hi
Here is more piccys, I'll add them as I progress.
I had it running today and it seems fine, I will have to build a better stand for it though later on, the desk has too much flex in it.
Here is a pic of one of the bearing blocks, with the adjuster I added so I can line things up.
I realy havent had time to do much, I dont know why, as I am home at the moment with no work.

Al

ozwinner
7th May 2004, 03:33 PM
Here is the height adjuster, its a 16mm rod, with a nut welded to a heavy pipe, which could be anything heavy, it has to be heavy so it doesnt flex too much with the strain of everything on it.
I used pipe because it is the easiest to weld the pivots into,the pivots are on the ends, the pipe rotates when the handle is turned, only slightly, but it needs to move as the whole thing rotates upward.

Al

ozwinner
8th May 2004, 08:08 AM
Ok
Now I am going to make a decent table for it.
The timber desk just has too much flex in it, I will order the steel on monday, but apart from that, I cant see any other probs.
I have posted another thread, about drum speed.

Al :)

Bill Marty
12th June 2007, 09:19 AM
Hello ozwinner,
How do I get to see your sander pics? Don't see jpegs.
Bill
Michigan
USA

Zed
12th June 2007, 09:40 AM
ok im an imbicile but i cant find pics or links. fix me up Oz.

Cliff Rogers
12th June 2007, 09:55 AM
This thread is 3 years old, it seems to have lost a few bits over the years. :D