PDA

View Full Version : TS 75 EQB problem

Peter G3000
19th December 2008, 08:26 AM
Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for sometime and appreciate the information that is provided by the members.

So I have decided to contribute with a problem/issue I have found with my new Festool TS 75 EQB saw. At the full 75mm depth cut the blade nut on the or as the manual calls it the flange makes contact with the outer guard, causing the flange to take a piece out of the guard.

The saw is only two weeks old and has the standard blade that came with it when I purchased it. The TS 75 is used with a standard guide rail which I have been using with my TS 55 successfully for a year or more.

To say that I disappointed is understatement, I wonder why such a simple fault didn’t get picked up by QC at the factory.

If you own a TS75 EQB could please if see it has the same problem as I have encountered with my saw.

I have spent a small fortune on over 10 pieces of Festool gear over last two years and this is the first time I have encountered a fault. So please don’t think I'm Festool bashing is just out of the ordinary for a fault so simple like this to be missed by QC or other users.

I have contacted Festool Australia and they are asking Germany about the issue, if anyone is interested I will keep you updated with the outcome.

P.S. sorry for the long rant.

masoth
19th December 2008, 08:54 AM
Peter, rant away - that's part of the forum. Like you, I've spent $$$ on Festool items and any fault is very disappointing. Have you spoken with the dealer where you purchased the saw? I'd be inclined to, at least, let them know you have a problem.

soth

ps: Welcome to the forums

nt900
19th December 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

On our workshop demo saw there is a very small clearance between the flange and the guard. Less than a millimetre I judge by just looking at it. But the flange does not make contact with the guard and there are no signs of it having made contact with the guard before.

Have you taken the blade off and refitted it on again, to make sure the blade and flange are seated correctly?

You are on the right path to have checked it out though, just in case, Festool HQ can help and your dealer should be able to assist as well. In fact the dealer might want to know about it anyway for their own information. I always like it if customers let me know if there are any concerns, issues, or just usage questions.

Peter G3000
19th December 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Soth & Anthony
I have not spoken to my local Festool dealer as they probably not as diligent as some Festool dealers. I buy from them because they are local not because of their great customer service, I’m pretty sure they would have directed me to contact Festool Australian anyway.
I did receive a call back from Festool and I was pretty disappointed that Germany (Festool) is aware of the problem and apparently in the future they plan to change the design to add extra clearance between the flange and the guard. I won’t mention the name of the contact person at Festool (Australia) but he too was not impressed with situation. He checked the available TS75 at his disposal and all have the same problem as I have.
Festool (Germany) remedy is to keep using the saw as is and let the flange wear its own clearance; the other option is to send the saw to Victoria for them to file out a little extra clearance for the flange. Both are very good ideas on a saw that cost me over $1,100! If I had known about this before I would not have purchased the unit.
It maybe a single batch or shipment that only have this fault, that is why I have asked if any other users that have a TS75 have had similar problems at the 75mm cut depth.
I'm sorry to join the forum with a negative topic but would like to stop other users possibly damaging their expensive investment.
Anthony, have you used your demo saw at the 75mm depth?
Also thanks for the welcome guys.

Image of the saw attached.

Cheers
Peter

nt900
19th December 2008, 11:32 PM
Anthony, have you used your demo saw at the 75mm depth?

HI Peter,

Although the TS75 is not as well used as the TS55 it should have at least been run at full depth when mounted in the CMS. Also, a large bar top was cut with it but I don't know exactly how thick that was. I will do some full depth tests and let you know. I will also pull a few new TS75s out of their Systainers and check them out for clearance as well.

It does not look like your clearance (or lack of) problem will affect the operation or quality of cut, but I can see how you would be disappointed with it.

jatt
20th December 2008, 10:57 PM
Gee Festool (Germany) response is a bit ordinary if u ask me.

Festool (Germany) remedy is to keep using the saw as is and let the flange wear its own clearance :o

I know the blades can take can handle a bit of punishment. Hit the steel top of my trailer when using the TS55. No damage, blade still cuts as good as the day I bought it.

Good luck with your issue. Will follow your case with much interest.

PS Welcome.

Chris Parks
21st December 2008, 08:18 PM
Money back time I would think or a written promise to replace yours or rectify it when the modification becomes available. The latter would suit me but some would not be so kind.

nt900
2nd January 2009, 10:32 AM
On our workshop demo saw there is a very small clearance between the flange and the guard. Less than a millimetre I judge by just looking at it. But the flange does not make contact with the guard and there are no signs of it having made contact with the guard before.

Update

Regarding above comment, no-one must have taken full plunge with our workshop TS75 before. I have just spent a day recovering old bridge timbers, using the TS75 at full plunge depth cutting this hard hard hard wood. On inspection today, the TS75 did show the same flange making contact mark with cover as Peter's did. So my above statement is incorrect.

Personally it does not bother me as the saw performed admirably, but I am just confirming Peter's observation.

Lignum
2nd January 2009, 01:46 PM
I don’t see what the issue is. After the first full cut and the tiny scrape of blade making its own clearance, problem is gone. That was the case with my TS75 and I use it at full depth all the time.

Its only my opinion, but we all know how Festool like to set their tools to use Festool only extras (and that’s fair enough in my book) The TS 75 blade is 210 x 30mm, and the equivalent from all the other manufacturers is 216 x 30mm. And as someone who recently needed an emergency sharp blade and couldn’t get a Festool, the extra 3mm on the Bosch made a very nice prolonged loud noise as it made its own clearance:oo::D. Normally I wouldn’t have dreamt of doing it, but it was an emergency that had to be done. Even then, no blade or saw damage occurred.

So im assuming its just Festools way of keeping their own blades in their own saw. And thats fine by me:)