PDA

View Full Version : an upgrade to a solid rough out tool

Pages : [1] 2

hughie
19th December 2008, 10:52 AM
Hand one of the first lot left over, so I drilled it out to as big a piece of HSS it could handle and would have liked to go to 12mm, but no chance. A 12mm blade would need a 25mm shaft. :C

Its a piece of 10mm or 3/8 sq x 100mm I intend to use it for roughing out blanks and large-ish open bowls such as fruit bowls, platters etc.

The HSS is M2 although I have a piece of M42 somehweres darned if I can find it, hopefully it will turn up after the move. Given M42s wear and abrasion characteristics it would be my first choice.

I am contemplating doing a few in the New Year, pm me if your interested

Pat
19th December 2008, 11:20 AM
Hughie, solid looking weapon.

PM sent :U

munruben
19th December 2008, 12:20 PM
Great:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
19th December 2008, 01:24 PM
PM sent, I'd need a 12mm tang to fit my Vermec handle.

stevew
21st December 2008, 06:43 AM
PM sent..Looks like your mailbox is full.
Not sure if PM went through or not, but you can put me down for one of these.Send PM to me if you got my message.
Cheers.
Steve

Cliff Rogers
21st December 2008, 03:36 PM
Yup hughie... your PM box is full.

Swap organised, 2 tips in the mail. :2tsup:

hughie
21st December 2008, 04:09 PM
no worries box now empty and pm's sent

Cliff Rogers
29th December 2008, 06:35 PM
The Ripsnorter arrived today, as requested, it has been modifed to fit my Vermec handle. :2tsup:

I wonder if I can sneak some time in the shed tomorrow. :think:

robutacion
31st December 2008, 01:04 AM
Hand one of the first lot left over, so I drilled it out to as big a piece of HSS it could handle and would have liked to go to 12mm, but no chance. A 12mm blade would need a 25mm shaft. :C

Its a piece of 10mm or 3/8 sq x 100mm I intend to use it for roughing out blanks and large-ish open bowls such as fruit bowls, platters etc.

The HSS is M2 although I have a piece of M42 somehweres darned if I can find it, hopefully it will turn up after the move. Given M42s wear and abrasion characteristics it would be my first choice.

ha, ha Hughie, gotcha..! there they are, the deck board floor used for this pic!:wink:

Yeah, I thing that I will have you to do some other tools for me...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

hughie
2nd January 2009, 10:23 PM
The Ripsnorter arrived today, as requested, it has been modifed to fit my Vermec handle. :2tsup: I wonder if I can sneak some time in the shed tomorrow. :think:

Good one Cliff, heres a thought isnt the Vermec 20mm dia? If we matched that dia you could probably get a bigger HSS tip going ..........:o...........:U

Heck at this rate we're gonna have something akin to another one that has had much said about of late................:U

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2009, 10:41 PM
I've been thinking about it. :think:

The shaft of the Vermec is actually 25mm. :D

I'd also like one of those 'flat edge' clamps that the Sorby Spiraling tool uses but that is a different diameter again. :rolleyes:

I'll think about it & take some more measurements & get back to you. :wink:

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2009, 10:43 PM

I'd also like one of those 'flat edge' clamps that the Sorby Spiraling tool uses but that is a different diameter again. :rolleyes:

I'll think about it & take some more measurements & get back to you. :wink:

Cliff, what does this look like?

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2009, 10:53 PM
I'll get some pics tomorrow & post them with the dimensions & the ideas. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2009, 10:44 AM
OK, here we go....

The Vermec handle is 25mm with a 12mm hole up it for holding tools.

The hughie Ripsnorter is a 20mm bar with hole slightly bigger than 13mm up it.

The Sorby Spiralling tool (Pic below) is an 18.5mm bar with a beauty clamp on it to give it an adjustable flat for the tool rest.

What I'd like is an supersized hughie Ripsnorter made from 25mm bar with a 12mm tang, a hole to take a 1/2" (12.5mm) tool tip & one of those adjustable Sorby flat clamps to fit. :2tsup:

I guess that I could get away with the Sorby clamp if the supersized hughie Ripsnorter had a couple of groves in it turned down to 18.5mm. :think:

Actually, I don't really need the flat clamp because I have the adjustable Vermec side handle but the flat clamp would be nice. :rolleyes:

What do you reckon.... is this thing is going to be heavy or what? :D

Now then... once I have this supersized hughie Ripsnorter, I can cut 75mm off the business end of the Ci1, (shaft is 1/2") stick it in the Ripsnorter & have a TCT tip holder as well. :oo:

I'd have a hard time breaking that one. :D :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 04:47 PM
So, have you bought the overhead crane to hoist it up to the toolrest yet? Or are you going to settle for just a block & tackle?

What I'd like is an supersized hughie Ripsnorter made from 25mm bar with a 12mm tang, a hole to take a 1/2" (12.5mm) tool tip & one of those adjustable Sorby flat clamps to fit. :2tsup:

Is he taking orders yet? I've been dropping hints about the same ('cept for the Sorby clamp. I see no need for that... :wink:) but I'm either too subtle or he's just ignoring me. Probably the latter; Hughie strikes me as a cluey bloke. :D

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2009, 05:43 PM

....Is he taking orders yet? I've been dropping hints about the same ....
Have you sent him a PM yet? :wink:

hughie
3rd January 2009, 06:39 PM
Is he taking orders yet? I've been dropping hints about the same ('cept for the Sorby clamp. I see no need for that... :wink:) but I'm either too subtle or he's just ignoring me. Probably the latter; Hughie strikes me as a cluey bloke. :D[/quote]

Hi Skew,
Nah! havent been avoiding you just moving house over Christmas and my mind is elsewhere...:no:

The 25mm shaft I have not yet throught it through. It just started out as a thought after I planned doing a 10mm with the 20mm shaft. But by the look of the feed back, the 10mm is sorta dead in the water and 12mm HSS tool bit around 100mm long is a goer.

So here we go I am looking at a 25mm shaft with a length of 400mm and around 120mm of 12mm dia tang.Overall 520mm
The tang is longer and bigger due to the forces that it will have to survive....:U I know you guys will give it heaps

Size conversion for the imperialists 16" = 404mm, 12mm near enough to 1/2", 120mm = 5", over all around 20.5" and a ferrule of 32mm dia x 30mm long or so.

As to price dunno, have yet to price the shafting and HSS and work out my machining time etc. Will knock one up first to test it and then finalized all the sizes etc

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 06:57 PM
Have you sent him a PM yet? :wink:

What for? :wink:

So here we go I am looking at a 25mm shaft with a length of 400mm and around 120mm of 12mm dia tang.Overall 520mm
The tang is longer and bigger due to the forces that it will have to survive....:U I know you guys will give it heaps

Perfectissimo! That would (will?) tie with the roughing gouge as my #1 user. :)

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm interested.... :2tsup:
Can you make the hole in the end 18mm?
That is big enough to hold a 1/2" square & still have a 3.5mm wall thickness.

hughie
3rd January 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm interested.... :2tsup:
Can you make the hole in the end 18mm?
That is big enough to hold a 1/2" square & still have a 3.5mm wall thickness.
[/QUOTE]
Cliff,
Sorry, yes it will have a 12mm HSS supplied by 100mm long :B

Cliff Rogers
4th January 2009, 05:26 PM
Cliff,
Sorry, yes it will have a 12mm HSS supplied by 100mm long :B

But will it have an 18mm hole?

A 12mm Square tip only needs a 17mm hole.

To use a 1/2" tip requires an 18mm hole.

hughie
4th January 2009, 07:38 PM
To use a 1/2" tip requires an 18mm hole.[/QUOTE]

18mm it is, I gotta learn to read the whole post....mutter,mutter

NeilS
5th January 2009, 12:15 PM

Hughie - Yep, per my earlier PM, that's sounding very much like what I'm after.

Put me down for a prototype if you like.

Thanks

Neil

Cliff Rogers
5th January 2009, 12:23 PM
That is 3 of us... anybody else?

DJ’s Timber
5th January 2009, 12:27 PM
Think I might jump in on this too if you'll have me :;

robutacion
5th January 2009, 01:12 PM
Hey... and about me...?:D

You can do all the hard work for me, hughie! I don't mind to stick to making the handles, only. I had a good go at making new tools recently, so is time for me to focus on wood/timber creations for a little while, instead!:;

Look at the size of this Bedan, that I re-shaped from my original copy of the Ci1, just last week ! (the 16mm HSS bar) that I drill and tap(ish):~ once:o.

RBTCO

hughie
5th January 2009, 05:06 PM
Gentlemen all the more the merrier,come one come all.

To get a reasonable price on steel I have to buy in 6.5m lengths. If I could afford to buy it by the tonne prices would be reasonable, any body want 500 ripsnorting hurricane hollowers?:U The Aussie $ is not doing us any favours of late as the steel is imported.

hughie
13th January 2009, 11:11 PM
Ok so far we have Cliff, DJ,Skew,NeilS and RBTCO. Thats five, I am gonna make around 10 anybody esle interested?

Pat
14th January 2009, 05:17 AM
Me!

Woodwould
14th January 2009, 07:31 AM
My lathe is still sitting on its pallet, but I'll put my hand up for a Ripsnorter please!

Cliff Rogers
14th January 2009, 09:01 AM
Beauty. :2tsup:

I went here (http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/H.S.%20Steel/H.S.STEEL.asp) & ordered a bit of the 1/2" x 1/2" x12" HSS.... it is on the way.

Cliff Rogers
24th January 2009, 01:53 PM
My order from McJing arrived yesterday.

A piece of 3/8" square , a piece of 1/2" round, a piece of 1/2" square, & a short solid 3/4" bowl gouge with a 3/8" tang, all in HSS.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94738&stc=1&d=1232764773

The bowl gouge will go straight into my Vermec handle for roughing big stuff.

The 3/8" square & 1/2" round will go into the current 'hughie' & the 1/2" square is for the ripsnorter that is in the pipeline from hughie.

The square pieces are all obviously just for scraper roughing tips.

The round is for having a go at that slotted 'no dig' hollowing tool that somebody posted a while back.

Using a thin cutting disk, I've cut a slot in each end just off centre.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94739&stc=1&d=1232764773

Then I trimmed a the corners off with the cutting disk to save some grinding.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94740&stc=1&d=1232764773

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94741&stc=1&d=1232764773

Next I took it to the grinder to see what I could come up with.

After much fiddling, I think I've worked out the best way to sharpen it (once it is shaped).

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94742&stc=1&d=1232764773

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94743&stc=1&d=1232764773

The idea behind this thing is to have a regular scraper edge with a rounded 'guard' over the top of it to stop it from biting off more than it can chew.

For the top, I found it is best to have it straight on to the wheel, upside down at a steep angle, (IE long bevel) & just roll it over & back & over again to round the top.

For the cutting edge, I found that it is best to have the tool rest set at a shallow angle (shorter bevel) & keep the tool as close as possible to perfectly upright & swing the handle from side to side to sharpen the cutting edge like a regular scraper.

Now I have it made & photographed, I have to mow the lawn before it rains again 'cos we have visitors coming to stay so I can't try it out. :~

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2009, 05:15 PM
Hughie
How much are you expecting these "Super Hughies" to cost
I've bought a couple of items recently and not sure how the credit is with the Chancellor

hughie
24th January 2009, 11:48 PM
How much are you expecting these "Super Hughies" to cost
I've bought a couple of items recently and not sure how the credit is with the Chancellor
[/QUOTE]

Not sure, it seems my supplier is waiting on a back order of steel. But has indicated there has been a price increase due to the Oz$. :~

So I will have to wait, grrh! The economic times may have slowed down business. But some are still not fully up and running since Christmas??? beats me :?

rodent
27th January 2009, 12:03 AM
Hughie don't do 10mm go 12mm 1/2 inch it works better I have one jess has one it's a great tool for small hollowing . Coving and its comfortable in the hand JESS calls hers booger . and it's a handy little booger at that .

hughie
27th January 2009, 05:45 PM
don't do 10mm go 12mm 1/2 inch it works better I have one jess has one it's a great tool for small hollowing .

Its probably horses for courses and filling the need with a wide variation or broad selection.

These are only small runs, this time around 10 of each.

Sawdust Maker
27th January 2009, 09:34 PM
My order from McJing arrived yesterday.

The idea behind this thing is to have a regular scraper edge with a rounded 'guard' over the top of it to stop it from biting off more than it can chew.

Now I have it made & photographed, I have to mow the lawn before it rains again 'cos we have visitors coming to stay so I can't try it out. :~

Well, how did it go?

Cliff Rogers
27th January 2009, 11:39 PM
Well, how did it go?
Lawn looks bloody beaut, thanks for asking. :D

The mowing had to be done before the rain 'cos then we had visitors for the weekend, haven't been back in the shed & probley won't get there for a while now 'cos we fly to Tassie Saturday for 2 weeks.
Will come back to a pile of work & more lawn mowing. :rolleyes:

TTIT
28th January 2009, 09:34 AM
...............The round is for having a go at that slotted 'no dig' hollowing tool that somebody posted a while back................

The idea behind this thing is to have a regular scraper edge with a rounded 'guard' over the top of it to stop it from biting off more than it can chew....................I might have missed something here or be missing the point completely but how does that thing clear the chips Cliff ????????? :confuzzled:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2009, 03:27 PM
I might have missed something here or be missing the point completely but how does that thing clear the chips Cliff ????????? :confuzzled:

At one of 's turns, someone brought along one of those tools (My sincere apologies to whoever 'twas, I forget exactly who... maybe WWally? :-) for us to play with.

It worked well and didn't seem to have any problems with clogging. I think it's main benefit is that it's almost impossible to get a dig-in with it, I vaguely remember [whoever it was] saying that it's a tool that, at ww shows & demonstrations, the turners felt no qualms about handing to a newby on-looker and saying "have a go."

Also from vague memory, the tool in question was made by a bloke from the Phillip Island club(?)

All kudos to Cliff for having a go at making one! :2tsup: It'll be interesting to hear his opinion, once he gets time to actually try it. :D

RETIRED
28th January 2009, 03:41 PM
One of the Eildon Woodworkers make them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2009, 03:54 PM
Strike one for me! :doh:

TTIT
28th January 2009, 04:37 PM
One of the Eildon Woodworkers make them.Google isn't helping me here :~. Is there anything online about these gadgets???? :?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2009, 04:42 PM
David Mitchell! That's who 'twas... :D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=722303&postcount=134

As you can see in his post, the slot is significantly wider than Cliffy's. That may make quite a difference...

RETIRED
28th January 2009, 07:05 PM
Google isn't helping me here :~. Is there anything online about these gadgets???? :?Dunno. Sorry Vern.

hughie
28th January 2009, 07:37 PM
TTIT,
I have a version of it, but different :?:U Took the basic concept to Erns Turnfest last year, worked OK . But needed tweeking to iron a few bugs out of it.

Hope to have it ready mid year for those who are interested

Pat
28th January 2009, 09:18 PM
TTIT,
I have a version of it, but different :?:U Took the basic concept to Erns Turnfest last year, worked OK . But needed tweeking to iron a few bugs out of it.

Hughie, you may as well put my name down as test pilot for this as well:U

I really hate catches!:~

hughie
28th January 2009, 10:29 PM
I really hate catches!:~

:U your not alone, it was what got me going on the idea in the first place

Cliff Rogers
28th January 2009, 11:00 PM
I haven't tried mine yet.

Flat out til late Feb now... we are going to Tassie Saturday, get back Monday 16th to a couple of family birthdays, a 50th & an 80th one on each of the last 2 weekends in Feb & the weekdays are going to be busy as catching up with work.

Looks like March for me.

Cliff Rogers
28th January 2009, 11:12 PM
I might have missed something here or be missing the point completely but how does that thing clear the chips Cliff ????????? :confuzzled:

It is a scraper, if you don't push too hard, the chips aren't big enough to jam.

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment from experience yet. :rolleyes:

Google isn't helping me here :~. Is there anything online about these gadgets???? :?

Dunno, Powderpost (Jim) has had a go at one.

TTIT
29th January 2009, 12:57 AM
TTIT,

It is a scraper, if you don't push too hard, the chips aren't big enough to jam.
I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment from experience yet. :rolleyes:
Dunno, Powderpost (Jim) has had a go at one.I'm a patient bloke :C, I'll just wait and watch with interest then :; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . if I can resist making something like it beforehand :B

Doc0055
31st January 2009, 07:01 AM
Hughie,

Could you show a close up of the cutting tip, or a diagram on how to grind the cutter.

Also due to the shape of the cutter, does it only cut from one direction; eg: left to right.

Cheers

hughie
31st January 2009, 08:26 PM
Having just moved house darned if I can find my camera let alone the the turning tools.
So I will have a go at painting a picture with words.....:o :U

Pretty well you only need to grind the front of the sq HSS and generally speaking either square or round and it can be used to cut both ways. You can also use the existing edge of the sq HSS in a drawing type cut by laying it over on to the wood.

As to how much of a front angle there should be is pretty well up to each turner. Basically the greater the angle the more rapid it will cut. Back the angle off to say 10-15' off the right angle and you can rub the bevel and achieve a very fine cut.

I tend to have one for rapid removal with an angle of around 60' or so and one with the 10-15 or so. I am not to fussy on exactly the angle is, rather how well its cutting and adjust accordingly.

Have a look at this youtube video the angle is fairly sharp and is about the norm for most folks

YouTube - sharpening Oland wood turning tools: aroundthewoods.com

hughie
24th February 2009, 07:34 PM
The RipSnorter is available and his cousins :U see the swap-buy-sell section.

Cliff Rogers
25th February 2009, 09:04 AM
Here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=903093#post903093). :2tsup:

hughie
7th March 2009, 10:43 AM
Gentlemen,

I have had a crash and have lost some info in the middle of it all.
Could SteveW , Bruce Crowley please resend your snail mail address. :2tsup:

Also who placed a $75 cash deposit on the 27-02-09? You didnt leave any ID :?

thanks guys

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2009, 01:40 PM
Mine went in on the 26th & should have had Cliff as the Ref.

hughie
7th March 2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks Cliff. Due to the fact that I have to wait 3 mins between PMs :C heres a bulk confirmation of posting :U :2tsup:

Cliff, Robutacion, NeilS, Wouldwood, Sawdustmaker, Skew and Pat

Thanks for the orders, much appreciated :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2009, 06:19 PM
:woot:

Pat
7th March 2009, 06:40 PM
At least when I get mine, I'll be able use it without searching thru millions of boxes of gear for faceplates, drive dogs, chucks :q

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2009, 06:49 PM
Oooer! :p

At least if I put it back in the mailbox when finished, I'll know where to find it...

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2009, 08:10 PM
Jees Pat
talk about putting the boot in whilst a blokes down :o
Skew
how are the ribs :roll:

Pat
7th March 2009, 08:39 PM
Abit harsh, yes I'll grant that. I won't be able to play with the Rip Snorter till next Sunday anyway, but I'll be able look at it:U

I got a 1/2" square of 14% Cobalt steel from McJing during the week, just for interest sake:;

hughie
7th March 2009, 11:43 PM
I got a 1/2" square of 14% Cobalt steel from McJing during the week, just for interest sake

Good one Pat the cobalt should holds its edge real well. Now you will have two tips for the Ripsnorter. :2tsup:

hughie
7th March 2009, 11:46 PM
At least if I put it back in the mailbox when finished, I'll know where to find it
I have only just put my mail box up.. :C some glitch with the council apparently my address does not exist or something :? :C :~

Pat
10th March 2009, 09:15 PM
I got home to a heavy tube. Ripping the packaging open, I pulled out one heavy lump of steel, one hell of a Ripsnorter. I also got the blade and accessories. I'll give it ago this Sunday:U after I turn up a handle. 1 question , what length handle will complement this serious bit of kit?

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2009, 10:21 PM
I got home to a heavy tube. Ripping the packaging open, I pulled out one heavy lump of steel, one hell of a Ripsnorter. I also got the blade and accessories. I'll give it ago this Sunday:U after I turn up a handle. 1 question , what length handle will complement this serious bit of kit?

Mine turned up today as well
Thanks Hughie
I'm afraid I'll have to get a bed extension for the lathe to turn a decent sized handle for this little ripper ripsnorter :o:D
Got an old 4x4 hardwood fence post outside - do ya think that would be a reasonable size blank? Tis about that I< >I long :U

Cliff Rogers
10th March 2009, 10:31 PM
Mine will be going on a 350mm steel handle with a lead filled base & a rubber grip. (AKA Vermec Hollowing Tool Handle)

hughie
11th March 2009, 11:00 AM
well I reckon at least as long as the Ripsnorter its self. But is all down what size you are. If it was the LOML then it have to be around 1- 1.5m long....she's 5' tall :U

Nick, Hmm 4x4 might turn the diameter down abit but the length should be ok............... :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th March 2009, 04:55 PM
It's here! It's here! :woot:

A heavy beast it is too! I'm glad I wasn't the postie... :innocent:

Many, many thanks, Hughie!

Woodwould
11th March 2009, 06:49 PM
Mine arrived today also. A good solid job thanks Hughie! :2tsup:

NeilS
11th March 2009, 10:38 PM
Mine also arrived today. Nice workmanship, as usual, Hughie!... :D

Put a temporary handle on it (about 14" long, just what I had available with a 12mm hole drilled ready to go) and gave it a spin. Definitely going to need a much longer handle for me, in hardwood, to counter-balance the heavy artillery on the working end... :).

Busy with some back orders a the moment, so that will have to wait for a bit, but interested to hear how others go with theirs.

Neil

robutacion
13th March 2009, 02:34 AM
Hi everyone,

Yes, I too received the "Mother magnum ripsnorter". The wife picked it up from the post office, and when she got home the asked me, "Are you doing rifle barrels again?" no I said, it should be the ripsnorter! "riper what, she asked", ripsnorter in the name of this large hollowing tool capable of removing lots of timber from the inside of logs to make drums. "So are you going to start making drums?" she asked, "yeah love", I responded, "can I have one" she asked, "sure love, I make you a big one...!)

Interestingly, just on sun down, I was starting to make the handle for this humongous and heavy gouge, following the same timber selection and design as my previous and recent tools I've made, and Merissa (my wife), she went got a chair and set there watching me turning. She knew that I was going to make the handle, and she wanted so see how I would tackle is shape and size. She didn't understand what was going on when she saw me measuring the timber using a stainless steel locking valve ring from a old beer keg I've been caring around for years. That was going to me my ferrule for this magnum tool, as all other recent handles were also done with oversize ferrules made of various types of materials whatever I got my hands on at the time!
Anyway, I got it done and left with a coat of sealer for tomorrow to glue the tool to the "magnum" handle, also. By the time this tool is finished, and if too big to be handled in my small turning room, It will make probably one of the deadliest "knockers" I ever used and seen. A good swing with it on something or someone, it will be all over very quick, and the best part is, it will not require sharpening is between uses...!:o:doh::D

I will get some pics tomorrow, (today), later...!:oo:

RBTCO

DJ’s Timber
13th March 2009, 08:17 PM
My Ripsnorter and Junior turned up today, very nice job Hughie :2tsup: thanks for that :U

robutacion
13th March 2009, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone,

OK, here we go...!
Is not a lot for me to say, the pics are self explainetry, apart from some minor details which I will add, just as added info.

I already said what the ferrule was made from, just the dark filling on it is 5 minute epoxy with some shavings of my tree solid fungy I've turned another day. (I will show this piece soon).
The handle finish is the same as the previous ones, Floorseal.
I will try it as is, but is a good possibility that I will fill the handle with melted lead to contra-balance the front half. Maybe it will feel ok when against the tool rest but, feels "nasty" (you know what I mean), when hold by the handle

I haven't weighed or measure the whole thing yet but, I reckon it will be best part of 3 feet long...!:o

As comparation, I started with a normal small and medium factory gouges, only then I've though about the junior so, here it goes...!

PS: Hey , this has to be your type tool size, huh?:;

RBTCO

Pat
14th March 2009, 06:16 AM
Tooolllllll Ppppoooorrrnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although the pup looks really interested, probably as interested as my three:)

NeilS
19th March 2009, 11:42 AM
Busy with some back orders a the moment, so that will have to wait for a bit, but interested to hear how others go with theirs.

Got my back orders into the gallery yesterday morning, so gave the Ripsnorter a bit more of a run yesterday afternoon.

Put a radius on the tip and went to work on hollowing out a smallish chunk of ancient red gum (read brittle). Still using only a short temporary handle for now.

Nothing special to begin with... some vibration, mainly in the blank itself as I started to hollow. Increased speed (to compensate for slower momentum at centre) and lighter cuts helped to reduce vibration a bit. I will scoop out initial core with gouges and/or forstner bit next time.

As hollow expanded, larger 'shavings' started to come off the tip and cuts began to run more smoothly down the insides.

Got quite a good shoulder undercut without having to resort to a special tool for that, although the mouth was a tad more open than I would normally have on the shape/size I was working on. Photo attached. The diameter of the shaft is a factor here. A tool suited to larger deeper forms. Remembering that there are smaller siblings... :)

As expected, by the time I was completing the full inner depth of the closed form the Ripsnorter started to really come into its own. Working with up to 6" of overhang from the toolrest, I was getting firm vibration free cuts across the sweep of the bottom (the part that I have always find the most challenging with closed forms) and getting a smooth ripple free sanding-ready finish at that. I felt that I could have gone confidently beyond the 6" overhang, but will wait until I have added a proper length handle before venturing there.

The tool is very heavy to handle until the tip is at least 4-5" overhung and cutting, at which point it comes into balance and is a pleasure to use.

I will now add a 550mm handle to the beast and see how deep it will go!

Prior to yesterday I was thinking of adding a heavy wood for the handle to help with balance, but now I'm not quite sure. With very deep hollow forms (given that I only do a few of those a year) the extra handle weight would work, but for medium sized forms it may be too tail heavy.

How have others found their Ripsnorters?

Neil

Woodwould
19th March 2009, 11:50 AM
That's a beautiful form. :2tsup: I haven't even assembled my RS, so I can't offer any feedback.

NeilS
19th March 2009, 12:11 PM
That's a beautiful form. :2tsup: I haven't even assembled my RS, so I can't offer any feedback.

Ta WW

BTW, I found that the ferrule that came with mine didn't even fit on the shaft, so had to make up one. Perhaps I got one by mistake from one of the younger siblings...:).

Neil

hughie
19th March 2009, 12:19 PM
Prior to yesterday I was thinking of adding a heavy wood for the handle to help with balance, but now I'm not quite sure. With very deep hollow forms (given that I only do a few of those a year) the extra handle weight would work, but for medium sized forms it may be too tail heavy.

This is why I have the 10mm Senior to bridge the gap even though it has the same shaft length as Junior, it does the job of bridging between the two.
Anyway, I figured the Ripsnorter would prove a little unwieldy close in and I found this to be true so far. I have tried long and short handles on the original and long is good for the big n' deep turning. Short does not really do much for me, too much steel and too much length. It felt kacky handed and arkward.

But I use the Senior to get around the problem.Such as for close up work, round the lip, cleaning up the bottom etc

hughie
19th March 2009, 12:29 PM
I found that the ferrule that came with mine didn't even fit on the shaft, so had to make up one. Perhaps I got one by mistake from one of the younger siblings...:).

Hi Neil,
I thought of using a bigger ferrule, but the next size in Stainless is 32mm or 1.1/4" and looks large and chunky. So I opted to stick with 25mm size, hmm, not sure I understand what you meant by not fitting the shaft. The ferrule will neatly slide over the 25mm shaft, I just tried it on one of the spares. :? get back to me, I've got a couple of bigger ones your welcome to one.

NeilS
24th March 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Neil,
I thought of using a bigger ferrule, but the next size in Stainless is 32mm or 1.1/4" and looks large and chunky. So I opted to stick with 25mm size, hmm, not sure I understand what you meant by not fitting the shaft. The ferrule will neatly slide over the 25mm shaft, I just tried it on one of the spares. :? get back to me, I've got a couple of bigger ones your welcome to one.

No, Hughie, I'm not sure I understood what I meant. I must have been having another one of those 'senior moments'... :)

When I got around to turning up the handle yesterday I realised that the ferrule you supplied was dimensioned to go over the tang, not the shaft... :doh:. I'm so used to gouges and the like not having tangs that I confused myself.

Anyway, having found a larger ferrule I proceeded with that. The resulting 'tool' is quite impressive. All I need now is a full suit of armour, plus a steed, and I can go jousting...:D.

Now I'm wondering if I also need a Senior for those senior moments...:)

Neil

Pat
24th March 2009, 05:25 PM
Anyway, having found a larger ferrule I proceeded with that. The resulting 'tool' is quite impressive. All I need now is a full suit of armour, plus a steed, and I can go jousting...:D.

Neil

:worthless:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 06:45 PM
BTW, I found that the ferrule that came with mine didn't even fit on the shaft, so had to make up one. Perhaps I got one by mistake from one of the younger siblings...:).

Ferrule? Ferrule? They came with a ferrule? I hope the garbo hasn't been yet... :oo:

hughie
24th March 2009, 06:59 PM
Now I'm wondering if I also need a Senior for those senior moments...:):U been there and done that, anyway I have a couple of Seniors available if you need one.

Skew If the ferrule has gone out with the garbage I can send you another. just pm me :2tsup: gratis my friend

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 07:03 PM
Sweet! :2tsup: A ferrule and an allen key and, I think, a spare grub-screw. ('cept I wasn't expecting one and there was a hole in the bag and my floor is covered in sawdust and... :-)

Wish I'd known about the allen key, 'cos I don't have one to fit and have just been snugging it up finger-tight every 5 mins with a jeweller's screwdriver and a lot of cursing. :doh: I really should get around to putting a handle on it before much longer, so I can see what it can really do!

Ummm... I hope you're not going to tell me that the first batch you made up had ferrules, too? :no::o

hughie
24th March 2009, 07:13 PM
Wish I'd known about the allen key, 'cos I don't have one to fit and have just been snugging it up finger-tight every 5 mins with a jeweller's screwdriver and a lot of cursing. :doh: I really should get around to putting a handle on it before much longer, so I can see what it can really do!

Ummm... I hope you're not going to tell me that the first batch you made up had ferrules, too? :no::o

Yep they all come with allen key grub screws and ferrules in a small plastic bag, better check the trash real quick ...oh no :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 07:24 PM
Yep they all come with allen key grub screws and ferrules in a small plastic bag, better check the trash real quick ...oh no :C

Way too late. But never mind... the key for the Ripsnorter fits both. :woot:

hughie
24th March 2009, 07:35 PM
Way too late. But never mind... the key for the Ripsnorter fits both. :woot:

yep I have standardised all the hollowers m6 grub screws 3mm allen keys. :2tsup:

So what are you missing now? :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 07:37 PM
Besides my marbles? :rolleyes:

I should be right, I'll scavenge up some copper pipe to make a ferrule once I get around to making handles. At my current rate of progress, that should be around 2010.

Until then I'm working on my Cliffy imitation. :D

Cliff Rogers
24th March 2009, 11:15 PM
Until then I'm working on my Cliffy imitation. :D
If it starts to hurt your hand you can always lock a pair of vice grips on the tang. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 11:24 PM
Advice from the master! How could I go wrong? :D

RETIRED
25th March 2009, 06:05 AM
If it starts to hurt your hand you can always lock a pair of vice grips on the tang. :2tsup:
Bugger. My instant handle secret is out.:wink::D

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 08:44 AM
As mine isn't handled yet I was thinking of binding some leather around the tang for a better grip!

Hey Neil, what's the chances of you posting a piccy of your grind on the tip?

You too Hughie if you can. I think my grind on the little hughie may be a bit agressive :doh:

Unfortunately haven't had a chance to play with the ripsnorter as yet, except admire it sitting there on the bench.

hughie
25th March 2009, 08:59 AM
Nick

:U I dont have access to mine at the moment.....shed issues :U

But I have a drawing of basic grinds and shapes I have come up with along a with a design of a drilling and gluing jig, will post them to you.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2009, 06:25 PM

You too Hughie if you can. I think my grind on the little hughie may be a bit agressive :doh:

Too aggessive? Since when has that been a problem? :oo::D

IMHO the best thing you can do is to round over the corners slightly, so they're not sharp, rectangular edges. As they came, a plain, square tip, they're good for plunge cuts but that's about all, 'cos the sides, not being sharpened, "hang up" on the shoulder of the cut.

Rounding the edges over means you can plunge in to the depth of the roundover (say 1 or 2mm) and then slide the tool sideways, so the rounded corner does the bulk of the cutting. Very quick and gives you surprisingly fine control.

Personally, I take the tips out of the shaft when sharpening, and clamp them to a flat plate (which is just to make them easier to hold while grinding) then sit the plate flat on my grinder platform, adjusting the angle until the bevel sits nicely. Then I round over the corners, a bit more aggressively each time I sharpen, until the tip is a nice, semi-circular profile. (I don't do it all in one sitting, 'cos why waste stock when it'll come to the right shape after a few sharpens anyway? :D)

Now that is an aggressive tip, all the cutting is done by a very narrow part of the tip, but it removes bulk material very quickly and, with practice, is also capable of finessing finishiing cuts. :2tsup: It also means that when you roll the tool slightly, you have a choice of where on the cutting edge to use, to get the best shear scraping action.

But even if you want to keep the majority of the tip square, rounding over the LH corner (at least) makes for a major increase in the tool's versatility.

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for that Hughie
Skew - very informative and helpful (and I imagine helpful to others) Thanks :2tsup:

What I meant by too aggressive was the angle of the grind rather then the shape of the tip.
This poor drawing might help me explain/ask what I mean

Looking at the tip side on, approximately how many degrees should that angle be?
Or is this one of those "whatever suits you" type of questions :doh:

NeilS
25th March 2009, 09:38 PM
:worthless:
OK Pat, see first two pics below. Gave it a test run with the new handle and the balance felt about right at about 5-6" overhang. The grip area in the mid handle is the neutral position. The extra 'bits' are for very deep hollowing and for starting cuts.

And, Sawdust Maker, last two pics are of how I ground the cutter. I defer to Skew on how to use Oland tools. The only other comment I would make is that I tend to rub the bevel whenever I can (of course not possible in various areas, especially if opening is narrow) which partly determines my preferred profile.

On sharpening, I use a dremel-like rotary power tool with diamond burr (the type used for chainsaw sharpening work well) to hand touch up the edge between infrequent visits to the grinder to re-establish the preferred profile. The rotary tool hangs within easy reaching distance so I don't have to move from the lathe.

Neil

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Neil
Thanks for that
The second photo of the grind is what I was after
nice lookin handle :2tsup:

robutacion
26th March 2009, 12:11 AM
OK Pat, see first two pics below. Gave it a test run with the new handle and the balance felt about right at about 5-6" overhang. The grip area in the mid handle is the neutral position. The extra 'bits' are for very deep hollowing and for starting cuts.

And, Sawdust Maker, last two pics are of how I ground the cutter. I defer to Skew on how to use Oland tools. The only other comment I would make is that I tend to rub the bevel whenever I can (of course not possible in various areas, especially if opening is narrow) which partly determines my preferred profile.

On sharpening, I use a dremel-like rotary power tool with diamond burr (the type used for chainsaw sharpening work well) to hand touch up the edge between infrequent visits to the grinder to re-establish the preferred profile. The rotary tool hangs within easy reaching distance so I don't have to move from the lathe.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Nice job you've done with that ripersnorter of yours!

RBTCO