PDA

View Full Version : Stained Maple

Hickory
20th December 2008, 12:38 PM
The other night we were sitting watching the news and SWMBO asked if I had arranged for some firewood, yet? I hemed and hawed and then the doorbell rang out. What did I find but a fellow who was peddling firewood. It was raining so close examination was limited but his price was $20 less than others in the area, so I said will you stack it for me? Not too many minutes later in the rain , Mama was not growling at me anymore...
As she left today to volunteer in my Grandson's school, she says fill the wood stack by the door, (from the wood pile) Obey, I do.... And what should my wondering eyes appear but this severely stained wood, too bad to even put in the fireplace,

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1040506a.jpg
now, what am I to do with it? Trimmed down to 2" square and 16" long. And yet another similar piece....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1040507a.jpg
What shall I do with this stained and ruined wood? All ideas will be closely reviewed... Not even good enough to burn Who wants to burn red wood? Of course it is decorative for the Christmas season...

Ed Reiss
20th December 2008, 12:49 PM
Hickory, in my time I cut down a lot of maples in KY but never ran across any that had that color...neat stuff!

Maybe pen stock, bottle stoppers, or baby rattles, or just small bowls for Sake!:U

Hickory
20th December 2008, 01:04 PM
Around here we call it Box Elder, the Canadians call it Manatoba Maple, It is in the Maple family. When you injure the tree it bleeds red and stains the area. Most are simple streaks but often there is the red "Flame" of Box elder. :2tsup: Still, What to do with it? What to make? I are not a pen-master or is that Pen-Wright?

I thought of Muddler but SWMBO said, "You already have more of those than you need." "save it for something nice"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2008, 02:47 PM
It's too small for most uses beyond pen blanks, utensil handles, etc., however it'd make a lovely accent piece if used in larger work. Perhaps panels in a jewellery box? (Not necessarily turned...)

Hmmm... how do you feel about segmented work?

A band of that maple around the middle of an otherwise plain but contrasting form would be truly striking! Especially if you could end match the grain on most pieces.

Or, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could try turning a bowl with a tenon all the way around and steam veneers from that maple to glue into the tenon. Then remount to turn the veneers flush.

Or... :wink:

rsser
20th December 2008, 03:03 PM
FWIW the red stripe faded out of my roughed out bowls of the stuff; hope it reappears and can be preserved in some way.

OGYT
21st December 2008, 03:05 AM
Hickory, is Poplar any kin to Box Elder? I have some poplar that looks like that. I've never seen a Box Elder around here that I know of. Really, I wouldn't know it now, if I saw it. Closest place I've ever seen one is over 220 miles NE of here, at OKC. I used to climb in it when I was about... well, just say about 62 years ago. :)
That's some nice looking wood.