PDA

View Full Version : Stiff headstock

lubbing5cherubs
21st December 2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Since the humidity been really bad in Townsville My headstock is really hard to slide along the bed. There is certain areas it stick worse than others so what do you do to refree up your bed?
Thanks Toni

RETIRED
21st December 2008, 10:13 AM
Headstock or tail stock?

Texian
21st December 2008, 01:08 PM
Toni,
Is WD-40 available there? It is a spray-on product, mostly very light oil, that tends to dispell moisture.

Ed Reiss
21st December 2008, 01:12 PM
Toni....what I use to get a nice glide is waxed paper. Run that stuff along the ways and the tailstock and banjo slide effertosly....almost too good:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st December 2008, 03:45 PM
For a sticky tailstock (or headstock on an MC-1100) I simply move the [x]-stock to one side, spray the ways with WD-40 and give 'em a light scrub with 0000 steel wool.

Wipe down with a cloth, then a spray of Inox as a more permanent lubricant & rust preventative. WD-40 is Ok for a quick lube, but not for long term protection.

I find that as often as not it's simply sticking from an overspray from Shellawax/Danish Oil - and the dust that sticks to it - that has built up on the bed. Fortunately, humidity and rust aren't major problems here down South. [phew!]

FWIW, don't do just the top flats of the ways, also check the "inside edges" where the mechanism slides. I once had a big glob of epoxy set on that edge that had me cursing the tailstock for days until I looked closer and noticed it... :-

hughie
21st December 2008, 04:22 PM
Toni ,

You cant go wrong with Skews advice. WD40 will free it up and Inox will lube and protect it into the future. From time to time re-do with Inox and if it gets real sticky re-do WD40 and Inox again

lubbing5cherubs
21st December 2008, 09:49 PM
sorry it was the tailstock not the headstock
bye Toni

Mobil Man
22nd December 2008, 02:23 AM
After using steel wool, I've found a paste wax rubbed over the mating parts works wonders. You don't really need to shine it up, just run the tailstock back/forth a few times. I,ve also used it on the tool rest. Sure helps that 3/4" spindle gouge slide smooth.

Jim Carroll
22nd December 2008, 08:21 PM
Agree with Skew on this one.

A combination of dust and finishes on the bed of the lathe builds up and restrcits movement.

A good clean with WD40 on the bed ways and while at it take the banjo and tailstock right of and clean those as well.

Inox is a good lubricant .

Best form of prevention is to clean the lathe down properly after each sesion to stop the dust settling and also to get any finish that has spilled on the lathe. Then cover with an old sheet.

lubbing5cherubs
22nd December 2008, 08:25 PM
thanks
Toni