PDA

View Full Version : Bowl/Platter Competition - for Charity

Pages : [1] 2

Calm
21st December 2008, 11:57 AM
This competition is open to anyone who wishes to enter.

All bowls/platters - items - will be sold and the money will be donated to the charity for Cystic Fibrosis (CF).

The concept is (in simple terms)
you supply the peice of wood,
you make a bowl or platter,
you get the item to me,

3 members from the following group (Skew, Ern, DJ, , Jim, Rodent - some of the judges are yet to be asked) will judge at a turnfest/getogether at either Ballarat or Resavoir and give the other 50% of the marks,
ALL the bowls will then be sold at a craft market with signage that the proceeds are going to charity, not a trash & treasure market.
The proceeds will go to the Cystic Fibrosis (CF) charity.

I have come up with this idea to raise some money for Cystic Fibrosis (CF) after my 26 YO daughter attended the funeral of one of her great freinds that she went through school with. This girl spent almost as much time at our house from year 7 to 12 as she did at her own. Although they have not seen as much of each other since school, her outlook on life and the way she lived it will remain in our memories forever. 5 years ago she had a heart/lung transplant and her body rejected it 4 1/2 years later, she passed away waiting for another donor.

SO, you can enter as many bowls as you want (only one will count for judging, all bowls need to be of "saleable" quality.)

I will be in Brisbane for the first 3 weeks of February 2009 and can pick up finished items, I also go to Adelaide in a truck so can pick up there (with a bit of organising)

This competition will run until the end of February with the turnfest in March/April.

Type of wood, size is unlimited, laminated, segmented, NE, Bark on or off, anything will count, if its too flat for a bowl it must be a platter, hence the competition is for BOWLS/PLATTERS.

Prizes well you will have the knowledge you won the competition and hopefully help cure a disease that see's young people struggle to make the age of 20. I could give vouchers, refunds etc to winners but frankly i would rather just donate the money to the charity.

Just what everyone needed with the christmas break was an excuse to get in the shed and make a bowl. I think a nice touch would be a breif description of the wood, type of finish - for health reasons - , your experience etc.

Can i do a WIP - Can i add materials other than wood, well why not it may help the beginners/others and result in more entries so more money for CF

Does it need to be in catagories for judging, well i will make that decision when i see the number of, the quality of, the style of etc of the entries.

Thanks in anticipation of your generous donations.

Cheers and start turning.

Grumpy John
21st December 2008, 12:43 PM
Count me in David. Your generosity towards other people makes you a GREAT human being :2tsup:.

artme
21st December 2008, 01:32 PM
Count me in David. See you in Brisbane when you are here.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
21st December 2008, 07:51 PM
Good cause and I hope i can participate, but time is the limitting factor. What is the deadline?

epineh
21st December 2008, 07:56 PM
Lol, I go to the end and wondered how this would make money, then I looked again and noticed the big bold red writing mentioning the items will be sold, what can I say, it has been a long week...:)

I am in, I work better to a deadline so this will give me the motivation to build my shed and fill it with some machinery/tools.

Only problem is I live just south of Cairns, can I post something to get it into your hands ?

Cheers.

Russell.

tea lady
21st December 2008, 09:12 PM
I'll be in.:cool::2tsup: Great idea Calm.:U

lubbing5cherubs
21st December 2008, 10:02 PM
I will do something for you and your cause
Toni

Tim the Timber Turner
21st December 2008, 10:04 PM
Great idea David :2tsup:

I'll donate a large redgum platter.

Also willing to act as collection point in Adelaide for you.

Please keep me informed.

Cheers

Tim

David Mitchell
21st December 2008, 10:35 PM
Great idea David, I will be in,have to sort out some timber for a bowl
Regards
David

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2008, 12:54 AM
Hmmm... :think:

I don't have much in the way of finished bowls/platters lying around, but I'll scrounge my woodpile for some suitable blanks and see what I can come up with.

(I know I have some really nice blanks that avoided the culling when we moved house, but they're already spoken for, sorry! :~)

robutacion
22nd December 2008, 01:14 AM
I find the idea generous, the concept very simple, and the end result, a rewarding one so, count me in.

I'm a bit of a sucker for these things, and after my last charity marathon, this one should be like a gentle breeze...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

jefferson
22nd December 2008, 06:41 AM
David, I'm in too. I just hope I can do something that will sell!

I assume you're still coming up this way soon?

Jeff

Mrs Woodpecker
22nd December 2008, 12:25 PM
Count me in. Will try to get the item to Brisbane when you are there. Great idea.
Shirley

BazzaDLB
22nd December 2008, 12:38 PM
David,
Great idea and one that will attract many completed items for a worth cause.

I'm willing to make something and hope it raises some money for the cause.

Would offer my place as a collection point (and still do) but I'll be leaving Brisbane for a few months holiday around mid Feb 09 so all would have to be here and collected by then.

Where I live might be a bit out of the way for some also but the offer is there.

Rum Pig
22nd December 2008, 01:29 PM
I think it is a great idea:2tsup::2tsup:

I will try and get something down but time is my big problem that and I just stab my hand with a very sharp pair of secators:doh: but I will try my best even if it late and dose not enter the comp I hope you can get $2 for what ever I make.

thefixer
22nd December 2008, 09:23 PM
Count me in too. Always ready to help a worthy cause and it gives me a good excuse to the SWMBO for some extra shed time:wink:. I'll be living in a tent for next three weeks but as soon as I get back to civilisation I'll get stuck into it. Got some nice silky oak that I roughed turned. Should be dry by then.

Cheers
Shorty

funkychicken
22nd December 2008, 10:00 PM
Good idea but I can see a problem, there's no guarantee that the pieces will sell. I've been working the local markets lately and on average I sell about one thing a month. Maybe the market you're thinking of is different

Still, :2tsup: to ya David

tea lady
22nd December 2008, 10:45 PM
Good idea but I can see a problem, there's no guarantee that the pieces will sell. I've been working the local markets lately and on average I sell about one thing a month. Maybe the market you're thinking of is different

Still, :2tsup: to ya David

Could be right there. The sale needs proper promotion. Its where some sort of sponsor would come in. Having a display at a shopping center might work better, with proper promotion again, but it could be something they might be willing to show good "corporate citizenship" with. Maybe get some free mentions on radio and stuff. Newspapers and so fourth.

Calm
22nd December 2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all the kind offers,

The deadline can be extended to a week or two before the turnfest,
Items can be posted - PM or email for address when ready.

Marketing - all help/advice willing accepted. This is the area that ultimately determines the success of the idea and hopefully i can get it right but still keep the ideas coming.

The offers of collection centres is great and will take them up. Adelaide can be in MArch but Brissy has to be before the end of February.

Judges - feel free to enter and i may include a fourth judge to eliminate conflict of interest.

Cheers and thanks.

Grumpy John
23rd December 2008, 08:04 AM
David IIRC you were hoping to sell the bowls at the Daylesford Craft Market. Perhaps, with the permission of the girls parents, you could get the local paper to do a story on what you are doing, also contact the local radio station. You could also contact the local Kiwanis, Lions clubs for some help/guidance. At the moment there are about 12 people that have put their hands up to do a bowl for this worthy cause, I don't know how many people attend the Daylesford market, but as FC said there is a very real possibility that not all the bowls will be sold.

rsser
23rd December 2008, 02:32 PM
+1 to John's, sorry, Clumsy's comment.

To add:

Suggest you recruit three judges with a judging panel chair. They will adopt and post the judging process, criteria and entry close date. And the results, perhaps with first, 2nd and 3rd places.

Thanks for the invitation to photograph all the entries but I'm afraid that's beyond my capacity. Suggest that the entrants post their own photos on a sticky thread - side-on view, 3/4 view, and details on species, dimensions and finish.

As offered elsewhere, I'm happy to host the next Melb turnfest at which the judges' and popular winners would be announced. Thinking April 15.

And happy to collate the popular vote numbers, should we fail to interest the Australian Electoral Commision.

epineh
24th December 2008, 02:35 PM
I also had a thought, what if along with the public promotion the sale of the items went up on an online auction ? The possible number of buyers MAY be more and with a little coverage may push the prices up for each item.

Another side line is that the highest price paid would determine the overall winner of the contest, still for Kudo's only.

Obviously this would probably need more promotion and make for more work, it is just an idea I had and thought I would share, feel free to shoot me down in flames, wouldn't be the first time for me - I am married after all :D

Cheers.

Russell.

Grumpy John
24th December 2008, 03:36 PM
+1 to John's, sorry, Clumsy's comment.

Make the most of it while you can Ern :D, the avatar's going back to normal soon. This conversation can be continued alsewhere if you wish so as not to hijack David's thread.

rsser
24th December 2008, 04:15 PM
Milked it for all it's worth John. You've taken it in good humour :2tsup:

Grumpy John
24th December 2008, 07:47 PM
Suggest you recruit three judges with a judging panel chair. They will adopt and post the judging process, criteria and entry close date. And the results, perhaps with first, 2nd and 3rd places.

Good point Ern, will it be one bowl - one vote, all bowls get marked out of (say) 10, bowls get marked on different areas i.e. form, function, finish etc. Another thing David, I'm not sure judges should be able to enter the competition, what do others think?

jefferson
24th December 2008, 08:44 PM
I've seen some nice work from our prospective judges and would like to be measured against them. Perhaps. I may have sadist tendencies, but the juniors like me want to see quality work. More than that, I'd be prepared to travel down to the Calm Judging Centre before all the works go on sale.

Can we do a group photo after all the turned pieces have been set aside?

I'm thinking of cheating on this one. I have some very special redgum slabs with lots of fiddleback. Great material for frisbees. I'll check, but maybe 450mm by 50mm.

But what about I send a piece to each of the judges?

No excuses then. Standard sizes for each of them - and all for a great charity.

And for me, I'd like to see the works turned. I haven't told the judges yet, but I have some trips planned for Melb and thereabouts in Jan-Feb.

OK with everyone? We could have a special section for Judges Only. (And the pace at which , Ern, DJ et al work, it shouldn't be too much of an imposition).

If we don't chat tomorrow, please all enjoy Xmas and be safe. Thanks for a great year on the forum and the Melbourne Contingent Turnfests / turn-ons. Most appreciated.

Jeff

rsser
24th December 2008, 09:45 PM
Re GJ's point, this is the kind of stuff that the 3 judges should work out and post.

Doubtless there are assessment proformas used at shows like the annual Nunawading event.

And potential conflict of interest means a judge's piece can't be in there.

If this is all too much trouble, given that the point is to raise funds, then we could just go for a popular vote.

Calm
24th December 2008, 11:11 PM
Ok so i have some more detail and some points to comment on/clarify.

Comp Closes 31st March

Turnfest/final judging at Ballarat in April - date depends on Easter, Horsham turnround etc.

Great idea David :2tsup:

I'll donate a large redgum platter.

Also willing to act as collection point in Adelaide for you.

Please keep me informed.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim so South Aussie entrants please contact Tim for collection by me from Tim near the start of April. Anything finished before the 22nd Feb in Brissy i can collect. All others need to arrange their own way of getting items to me. Sorry but i cant collect from where i'm not.

I also had a thought, what if along with the public promotion the sale of the items went up on an online auction ? The possible number of buyers MAY be more and with a little coverage may push the prices up for each item.

Another side line is that the highest price paid would determine the overall winner of the contest, still for Kudo's only.

Obviously this would probably need more promotion and make for more work, it is just an idea I had and thought I would share, feel free to shoot me down in flames, wouldn't be the first time for me - I am married after all :D

Cheers.

Russell.

Good thought Russell but my thoughts are on the auction system - the auction system (ebay) - What price do you start them at, Entrants may not like the value their item makes causing dissent/arguments, what happens if you dont get enough bids. As for other suggestions - If their are only 10 or 15 entries, how much interest are you going to get from media etc in flogging the "good cause". All these marketing ideas are being noted but until i have an idea of the number of items to sell a strategy can't be finalised. As the turnfest is not until April with the fianl judging there the sale will not be until May or June so to lock in a process now may not be suitable then.

(the man with the axe) is in charge of judging and will either post or email me the criteria for the judging.

A new second Judge (non entrant) has agreed to take the position. you know him as echnidna, the third and maybe fourth - to avoid conflict of interest - will come from the original list of Skew, DJ, Jim

Pics are to be taken by entrants themselves because if i or someone else takes them the entrant may not be happy with the photos and claim they didnt win because the 50% member vote was effected by said photograph - so you take your own - obviously it will need angles to show thickness of sides, shape from the side, and above, as well as some object to give indication of size - maybe a credit/business card or somethng. Please give details of finish etc anything that you think is needed.

Each member can make as many bowls as they like - Only one that THEY choose will be judged. As the object is to raise money the Judges can enter , 50% of the vote will be from the members poll, then & Echnidna and the last bit from another judge not themselves.

Now to Jefferson, I agree and hope even enters - even if not judged because i would like to see the best bowls that i can to get a look at my attempt beside theirs, to your second point Jeff i received the following PM from a judge (non entrant) so take this with whatever seriousness you think it deserves.

"Bribes Are Now Being Accepted"
pay by cash or online with credit card via paypal.
All proceeds to the charity.
All bribe makers will receive a certificate etc by post acknowledging that they have bribed a Judge.

It's so oddball it may attract media attention and could help pull money out of the brickwork. __________________
Regards
Bob Thomas <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

So i have tried to answer the questions so far

- now for my progress -

I have made my "circle cutter" ala Robbos turnfest - cut 2 blanks to make a start but now i leave for Keiwa (10 days) with just New years day back home - so this is a far as i got with my entries. The larger one is a peice of Blackwood, the second a peice from Weisyboy last time when i was in Queensland. So with going away for 10 days, 50 to 60 hours a week in the truck, to Brissy most of Feb, i think i might appeal for extra time already - PLEASE

Cheers and thanks.

rsser
25th December 2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the details David.

I'm no longer available for judging sorry.

Calm
25th December 2008, 06:47 AM
More on the marketing of items, depending on the number of items to sell it may be better to contact the local Rotary club (i have a couple of contacts) and ask them to auction them at one of their meetings or events, with the money going to CF, or even the local CF group and consult them on their advice - maybe our bowls/platters can just be added to one of their own "fundraisers"

As i said in the last post marketing depends on the number and variety of entries that actually get to Ballarat. What i am saying is al entries WILL be sold and the money IS going to Cystic Fibrosis (CF) charity

On the postage, due to Aussie Post charges, interstate entrants may find it cheaper to combine with someone else for postage/packaging or even the weight allowance may mean no extra cost to ship 2 of your own bowls instead of just the one you wish judged.

Of course those attending the turnfest need only bring them on the day.

Thanks Ern we were both typing at the same time. I will remove you from the list. cheers

Merry christmas and happy turning.

jefferson
30th December 2008, 09:03 PM
First up - and I will check - there may be some tax deductions available for those who donate a bowl or platter for charity. Same thing for artists who donate their work. So stay tuned.

Secondly, I have donate 3 redgum slabs for the Judges. Robboa has already turned most of his and I must say the standard has been set. (Remembering that the slabs are not in the main event, they are only for the rest of us to admire).

Sorry about the pics, but it's the best I could do:

The platter is full of fiddleback and is very, very nice.

Three beads on top (no beading tools required), plus another underneath for the platter to rest on.

The rest of us have some work to do!

Jeff

Robomanic
30th December 2008, 09:24 PM
Great idea David.

Can't see exactly how atm but count me in. I should be able to sort something out by the close date.

ss_11000
31st December 2008, 01:11 AM
i may be able to make something. if i do, i do. if i dont, i dont.

i will let you know if i have :)

funkychicken
31st December 2008, 08:27 PM
Well, Mine's been sanded up to 240grit so far,

I reckon I'll give you lot a run for yer money:D

RufflyRustic
1st January 2009, 12:28 AM
With Calm's permission:

I will be donating three of my Leather-Bound notebook/sketchbooks as prizes.

Cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2009, 06:30 PM
Errrmmm... has a closing date been chosen?

I haven't even found a suitable blank yet, let alone made a start... :-

dai sensei
1st January 2009, 06:41 PM
comp closes 31st march

turnfest/final judging at ballarat in april - date depends on easter, horsham turnround etc.

:u

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 07:18 PM
Count me in. I know I'm not in the league of some of my brethren but I'm sure my effort will contribute at least $1.50 (alright $1.25) to the cause. I've some spalted spotty gum which might give a run for his money. Sorry just having a little day dream there :q

Is there any point in having two divisions in the judging. ie rank beginners, such as meself, and others of more advanced turnings

jefferson - if you are giving away that redgum - I'm sure some of it would look good in my shed :D

David Mitchell
1st January 2009, 09:22 PM
Errrmmm... has a closing date been chosen?

I haven't even found a suitable blank yet, let alone made a start... :-

I have been looking for a suitable blank ,plenty to pic from but I can't find one without CRACKS:~:((
So I have glued up some pieces of silky oak and we will see what happens :wink:
Regards
David

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2009, 09:51 PM
:U

Whoops! :-

I have been looking for a suitable blank ,plenty to pic from but I can't find one without CRACKS:~:((
So I have glued up some pieces of silky oak and we will see what happens :wink:

Yep. I'm thinking along similar lines; perhaps a segmented piece would be the go... :think:

RETIRED
6th January 2009, 10:50 PM
Go here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=865188&postcount=1) first

The rules are simple.

This challenge is for charity. The charity is Cystic Fibrosis Victoria Inc.
80 Dodds Street
Southbank Victoria 3006
Phone: 03)9686 1811 or FREECALL 1800 633 685
Fax: 03)9686 3437

All bowls will be sold and the proceeds go to CF. NO bowls will be returned to the entrants.

The item must be a turned bowl or platter of any size made from timber. It can be laminated, segmented or natural edge but only decorative carving or texturing on the rim, not the body of the bowl.

There will be 2 catagories: Bowls and platters up to 200mm diameter, Bowls and platters over 200mm in diameter

The entrants may submit as many entries as they wish BUT have to nominate which entry is to be judged.

Entries must be in Calms (David) posession by 31st March. Judging by Forumites will begin on 1st April by secret poll in a new thread in the Woodturning section of Woodworking Forums and close 24 hours prior to the Turn-on at Davids in Ballarat in April. The date has yet to be announced.

Each entrant can photograph a Work In Progress if they desire.

Only 3 pictures of the finished article are to be emailed to me at [email protected].

These pictures will be a side shot (Profile), a high shot showing insde and a shot of the base.

These photos are to be received prior to 30th March WITH your forum name and a brief description of timber used, the dimensions and finish.

Forumite judging will account for 50% of the vote with the other 50% coming from the judges. The criteria is form, shape and finish.

This is a fun event more focussed on the charity than winning. Please keep that in mind.

Rum Pig
7th January 2009, 10:19 AM
I have not selected my blank yet BUT if I find one with a natural crack in it (no on the rim but in the main body) can I use that as a decorative feature i.e fill the crack with brass fillings.:rolleyes:

I get the felling that this is going to be lots of fun.:2tsup:

RETIRED
7th January 2009, 11:30 AM
I have not selected my blank yet BUT if I find one with a natural crack in it (no on the rim but in the main body) can I use that as a decorative feature i.e fill the crack with brass fillings.:rolleyes:

I get the felling that this is going to be lots of fun.:2tsup:Yes.

RETIRED
10th January 2009, 01:08 PM
Entries must be in Calms (David) posession by 31st March. Judging by Forumites will begin on 1st April by secret poll in a new thread in the Woodturning section of Woodworking Forums and close 24 hours prior to the Turn-on at Davids in Ballarat in April. The date has yet to be announced.

See http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=87155 so that makes the closing date Friday 1st of May at 5.00 PM EDST.

funkychicken
11th January 2009, 07:08 PM
Well, I'm done:D Who do I send it to?

Calm
11th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Well, I'm done:D Who do I send it to?

I will pick it up in February - will send pm in about a week with mobile number to contact me on. Not sure of date but will call in sometime then.

Cheers and thanks a lot.

thefixer
12th January 2009, 10:12 PM
First off, I would like it known that I have no affiliation to the aforementioned charitable organisation or to the persons promoting this competition.

At this point in time 1,456 people have viewed this thread and so far only a small handful have put their hands up and offered a contribution to this very worthy cause. David has offered his time and resources as have the administrators of this forum which is available to all members free of charge. So, what I would like to know is, where has that great Aussie spirit gone to? Surely it's not too much to ask for all you turners out there to knock up a bowl or platter for charity or even to donate one that is just sitting around and collecting dust. Geez, my place is full of bowls, goblets, platters and just round bits of wood and that's after taking up turning only two and half years ago. So come on blokes and sheilas:)(not meant to offend) get your A into G and give to a worthy cause. And remember, it's primarily for charity and not for competition so don't feel as though you need to be an artisan to enter. My entry has its flaws but I hope it will still get a couple of "oxford scholars" at auction. Stranger things have happened.:cool:

P.S. To David and : I hope I am not out of place by posting this but I thought as a nation that we were far more charitable.

Cheers
Shorty

Rum Pig
13th January 2009, 09:07 AM
:whs::iagree::repplus:

artme
13th January 2009, 09:42 AM
Well said fixer!!!

Grumpy John
13th January 2009, 11:10 AM
My entry has its flaws but I hope it will still get a couple of "oxford scholars" at auction. Stranger things have happened.:cool:

I have not decided which bowl/s I will enter, but I have no illusions about winning anything. I am doing this to help a decent bloke who is doing his best to help a worthy cause. I will get more satisfaction if my bowl gets $10 than winning any prize.

tea lady
13th January 2009, 11:25 AM
Me three. And having something to make something for is always a spure to creativity for me. :cool::2tsup:

Touchwood
13th January 2009, 05:00 PM
Count me in too ... not in the league of many of the turners who have put their hand up, but people still use ash trays:wink::wink: wooden ash trays:oo:

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2009, 06:11 PM
Count me in too ... not in the league of many of the turners who have put their hand up, but people still use ash trays:wink::wink: wooden ash trays:oo:

Yup. I call it "texturing." :p

Calm
13th January 2009, 09:47 PM
Sorry for my absence but work is taking over my life at the moment. - This will change very quickly.

If anyone wants to leave their finished items at Robbos that is ok to save postage -

speaking of postage - i would think that to package it in a cardboard box with Shredded paper or loose bubble wrap should give adequate protection. Dont wrap in a plastic bag. Remember Australia post only tries it's best. Dont use shredded or ripped up newsprint as the print can come off and damage the finish, spoiling all your hard work

Maybe others with more experience could add a bit here.

I also have an email from CF Australia and as part of my communication to them i have asked for approval to publish portions of their emails here for all to read. The basic flow of it was they are very impressed and keen to give any assistance they can including in the marketing side of things.

As i indicated to them the marketing side relies heavily on whether there is 6 or 10 items or if we managed to put 50 items together them a whole new stategy/promotion can be used.

I thank all members who have indicated their participation and offer an invitation to NON MEMBERS to sign up to the great forum and send in an entry.

Cheers and thanks to all

RETIRED
14th January 2009, 11:27 AM
If you need some inspiration.
http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/d-28/photo.htm

bowl-basher
14th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Calm
will you please PM me with your shipping adress and I will send you my small contribution
is it ok to put a disk in with some photos of the bowl on and you can use the ones you want
regards
Bowl -Basher

RETIRED
14th January 2009, 09:08 PM
Calm
will you please PM me with your shipping adress and I will send you my small contribution
is it ok to put a disk in with some photos of the bowl on and you can use the ones you want
regards
Bowl -BasherBB Can you mail the disk direct to me please? PO box 332 Tooradin 3980. Just address it to . It gets here.

Calm
16th January 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi,

if you want to contact me or post an entry/donation click on "Calm (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=11081)" and i have put a message thingy on my profile for members to find.:2tsup::2tsup:

This i have found restricts the access to members only, therefore helping to eliminate the security issues i feel about putting my address out there for all to see.:2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks again and keep the turnings coming.

Cheers

dai sensei
16th January 2009, 08:02 PM
if you want to contact me or post an entry/donation click on "Calm (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=11081)" and i have put a message thingy on my profile for members to find.

Great idea!

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 09:16 AM
Is there anyone likely to be heading down to vic from Sydney who could take our offerings?
otherwise I'll send

Calm
17th January 2009, 05:47 PM
Is there anyone likely to be heading down to vic from Sydney who could take our offerings?
otherwise I'll send

With 2 months to go i would suggest to hold it for a while - never know someone might be going closer to the time.

Cheers

Grumpy John
19th January 2009, 10:59 AM
I am posting this in the hope one of the judges would be able to clarify the definition of a platter. Is there a strict ratio between diameter and height, can a platter have sharply curved sides, or must it be flat. Perhaps some photo's of what is and is not a platter could be posted for guidance.

Calm
19th January 2009, 11:22 AM
I am posting this in the hope one of the judges would be able to clarify the definition of a platter. Is there a strict ratio between diameter and height, can a platter have sharply curved sides, or must it be flat. Perhaps some photo's of what is and is not a platter could be posted for guidance.

My definition is "if it's not a bowl it's a platter" but many will disagree:D:D

I'm sure Cliff can come up with dimensions/parameters for you.

RETIRED
19th January 2009, 01:41 PM
My opinion: Under 200 mm Diameter, 25mm or under in height. Over 200mm Diameter, 40mm or under in height.

tea lady
19th January 2009, 02:26 PM
My opinion: Under 200 mm Diameter, 25mm or under in height. Over 200mm Diameter, 40mm or under in height.

These seem to be the definitions of "plate" and "platter". In my mind plates are small, and platters are big. Bowls on the other hand are capable of holding soup without sloshing all over the place, so are deeper. :cool:

Calm
19th January 2009, 03:00 PM
well this is a bowl, got out in the shed first time for a couple of weeks and finished this one off. A peice of wood Weisyboy gave me when i was up there last year. Thanks Carl:2tsup:

Not that happy it may lose the foot as there is a crack that i thought was me going through the bottom when i was finishing it off. Not so but have to go to work soon so ran out of time.

off google -

A platter is a large type of dishware used for serving food. It is a tray on which food is displayed and served to people. It can have oval, round, rectangular, or square shape. It can be made of steel, ceramic, or plastic. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platter_(dishware) (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=X&start=4&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platter_%28dishware%29&usg=AFQjCNEZeDMwzu03QFo1nvK19J0-GUAyyQ)

Definitions of bowl on the Web:

a round vessel that is open at the top; used chiefly for holding food or liquids;
a concave shape with an open top
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&q=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Dbowl&usg=AFQjCNG4bQSXtB7R3YHq7ZnuCMYmXBgekw)

John hope that helps.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2009, 04:20 PM
Hmmm... personally I reckon we should stick with Robbos specs if he's da judge.

FWIW, the Aust Woodturning Exhibition definition for platter is: "a plate exceeding 300mm diameter with its height not more than 1/10th of the maximum diameter." I've always been guided by this. :shrug:

A bowl has no restrictions on size, however: "opening must be greater than 50% of maximum diameter and overall height must be less than the maximum diameter."

If it's taller than it is wide, it's classed as a vase and when the opening is less than 20% of the maximum diameter, it's classed as a hollow vessel. I've no idea what they class a bowl with an opening of less then 50% but more than 20% of the max. dia... "unjudgable" apparently. :rolleyes:

(I wonder if this info has confused you lot as much as it confuses the entrants? :D)

RETIRED
20th January 2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks Skew.

That was the rough specs I was using. Just forgot where I read it.

A plate is a platter only littler:D. The word platter is actually derived from plate.

tea lady
20th January 2009, 09:42 AM
well this is a bowl, got out in the shed first time for a couple of weeks and finished this one off. A peice of wood weisyboy gave me when i was up there last year. Thanks carl:2tsup:

so what is the wood? :? Wiesey's wood?:d
off google -

a platter is a large type of dishware used for serving food. It is a tray on which food is displayed and served to people. It can have oval, round, rectangular, or square shape. It can be made of steel, ceramic, or plastic. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/platter_(dishware) (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=x&start=4&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/platter_%28dishware%29&usg=afqjcnezedmwzu03qfo1nvk19j0-guayyq)
what no wood? Looks like we can't make one then!:c:rolleyes:

cheers

:d

tea lady
20th January 2009, 09:45 AM
Although I guess we can just go and rewrite the definition. Its wikipedia after all.:cool:

echnidna
29th January 2009, 05:30 PM
Ive lost track of time, when is the comp going to be held? :)

RETIRED
29th January 2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=873656&postcount=41

Calm
2nd February 2009, 03:39 PM
just found a computer i can pinch for a bit so just thought i would let you know that my girls have picked up soime parcels from the Post office. They are sitting at home waiting for me to return-

Just enjoying the rest and another 3 weeks to go - AAAAAhhh Bliss

Cheers

RETIRED
2nd February 2009, 03:50 PM
Lazy bugger. Half your luck.:D

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 05:24 PM
Somehow I don't think Charity will want my bowls...

Maybe next year I'll be better :)

RETIRED
8th February 2009, 08:49 PM
David is in Brisbane at the moment so if any members have their bowls or platters ready PM me and I will contact him.

RETIRED
11th February 2009, 12:55 PM
A little under 7 weeks to get your entries in.

tea lady
11th February 2009, 10:10 PM
My Platters keep turning into nut bowls.:C How about an extra section for "Small but Beautiful".:rolleyes::cool:

RETIRED
14th February 2009, 11:30 AM
Bowl Basher. Got your pics, thank you.

RETIRED
14th February 2009, 11:31 AM
6 Weeks.:D Skew, I have your blackwood here.

Calm
16th February 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi i am getting ready to pack up and leave at the end of the week.

Have arranged to be in Toowoomba Sunday after lunch 1 ish to call in and see Rufflyrustic.

Funky can you arrange for your bowl to be at Wendy's by then please.

Also hope to see Munruben and Artme tomorrow or Wednesday. will ring John soon.

Available to see any one who rings me on 0439 832 911 to pick up bowls for the Competition .

I am going home down the newel highway so anyone on the way yell out also. Goondawindi Sunday night, West Wyalong Monday night, Berrigan or Ballarat tuesday night.

Thanks and please keep them coming in.

One arrived last week but i didnt get the name from my Daughter so i cant PM but i think the person who sent it should know. I will catch up when i get home in 10 days time. Wednersday 25th.

Thanks for keeping things going.:2tsup:

Cheers all

RETIRED
26th February 2009, 08:52 PM
32 Days to go folks. Keep the entries coming in.

Calm
1st March 2009, 12:31 PM
Back again, changed the lathe to VSD (post #32) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=66283&page=3) while in Queensland so thought i would make a bowl out of a peice of Blackwood thats been sitting in the shed for a fair while.

It was 400mm diameter x about 200mm thick and unbalanced with an uneven back, i havent been game to spin it at the previous minimum of 500 rpm so took the opportunity to try the new VSD and it was a pleasure - no dirty jocks or lathe tango around the shed while i get it turned into balance:o:o (boy i miss that - NOT) and here is the result.

It was twice as high but i probably went too thin:doh: and the top edge kept breaking off so it got shallower all the time.:~:~

Still need to sand the inside again to get rid of a couple of marks then turn the tenon off and its finished - Kids want to play golf so i thought i'd better go as well (aaaaaaaaaaah what we do for them:D)

Any others with WIP pictures? Keep em coming the last photo is some of the others already received.

Check my profile for the address to send them too.

Thanks and cheers all.

Mrs Woodpecker
5th March 2009, 11:34 AM
Could I please have the address so I can send my bowls?
Cheers,
Shirley.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 09:21 PM
Could I please have the address so I can send my bowls?
Cheers,
Shirley.

Mrs W
click on Calm's avatar, the view his public profile - address is there
good luck

Calm
7th March 2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for that Nick.

Having driven to Queensland and back for a holiday (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=90346) (about 1780 km's up and via Sydney back)

Then last week selling all the calves (60) from the farm ($100 less per head average than last year) giving the 200 acreas a total before any expenses income of $25,190 i had to go back to work this week.

That was a start at 5pm Monday and got back this morning (sat 11.20) 3800 km's later. Still i made a few $$ to pay off the bankcard and i really appreciate others keeping this thread bumped up.

I see Skew has "attempted" to start a bowl in another thread, without any luck at this point.

Keep the bowls coming - is keping an eye on this for me as well - Tim the Timber Turner (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=648) has offered to be a collection point in Adelade so those wishing to leave entries there are welcome - just PM him for address.

Cheers and thanks again to everyone.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2009, 06:22 PM
I see Skew has "attempted" to start a bowl in another thread, without any luck at this point.

No... I failed to start on making a start. There is a small but significant difference, ya know. :p

RETIRED
10th March 2009, 11:56 PM
20 days to go.

RETIRED
13th March 2009, 01:10 PM
Go here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=865188&postcount=1) first

The rules are simple.

This challenge is for charity. The charity is Cystic Fibrosis Victoria Inc.
80 Dodds Street
Southbank Victoria 3006
Phone: 03)9686 1811 or FREECALL 1800 633 685
Fax: 03)9686 3437

All bowls will be sold and the proceeds go to CF. NO bowls will be returned to the entrants.

The item must be a turned bowl or platter of any size made from timber. It can be laminated, segmented or natural edge but only decorative carving or texturing on the rim, not the body of the bowl.

There will be 2 catagories: Bowls and platters up to 200mm diameter, Bowls and platters over 200mm in diameter

The entrants may submit as many entries as they wish BUT have to nominate which entry is to be judged.

Entries must be in Calms (David) posession by 31st March. Judging by Forumites will begin on 1st April by secret poll in a new thread in the Woodturning section of Woodworking Forums and close 24 hours prior to the Turn-on at Davids in Ballarat in April. See below.

Each entrant can photograph a Work In Progress if they desire.

Only 3 pictures of the finished article are to be emailed to me at [email protected].

These pictures will be a side shot (Profile), a high shot showing insde and a shot of the base.

These photos are to be received prior to 30th March WITH your forum name and a brief description of timber used, the dimensions and finish.

Forumite judging will account for 50% of the vote with the other 50% coming from the judges. The criteria is form, shape and finish.

This is a fun event more focussed on the charity than winning. Please keep that in mind.

After discussions with Calm(David) and some others it has been decided that there is too many events in April that make it hard to get a free weekend plus 2-3 weeks for Forum judging was a little too short.

In light of this the Charity bowl Turn-on will be held either Saturday the 2nd of May or Sunday the 3rd.

Voting will close on Friday the 1st of may.

jefferson
13th March 2009, 01:53 PM
After my aborted attempts to turn a decent bowl / platter, I've decided to send David a cheque for the CF charity run.

More practice required here, but never mind.

Jeff

Calm
20th March 2009, 12:22 PM
<o></o>:bump:

Yep that’s right time flies and there is only 10 days to go for the closing date for entries in this challenge/competition. 31<sup>st</sup> March 2009
<o></o><o></o>
I realise we have had bushfires, floods and lots of other tragedies/emergencies over the past couple of months asking for our support and sponsorship. <o></o>
<o></o>
However, sadly children are still suffering from cystic fibrosis, a condition that denies them and their families the chance to experience/share life as an adult, (most children dont even reach the ageb of 20) so I am still determined to finish this challenge off with the best donation that I can help raise to give them.
<o></o>
DOES ANYONE WANT MORE TIME – if so now is the time to speak up.<o></o><o></o>

There are only a small number of entries received by me, at this point, (5 posted & 4 hand delivered/picked up) so anyone wishing to enter in the competition should really get the bowl/platter to me ASAP <o></o><o></o>

A couple of members told me ,when I decided on this challenge, that it had been tried before and never really eventuated to a meaningful event (they said it all started well but died in the ars$ when the time came for the "items" to turn up for sale) but I still figure any money raised is money they wouldn’t have otherwise.

We still have the time/opportunity to prove them wrong (the doubting members) and make this the first of a great tradition of fund raisers for all sorts of needy cause's by donating something we made in our time in our shed, with our hands and containing our love. All it takes to enter is a piece of wood and it appears that postage has been approximately $10 for each parcel.<o></o><o></o> Maybe this type of thing could happen annually (not necasarily organsed by me) and the funds raised go to different charities each time.

Address to post entries too is on my public profile - just click on “Calm” – it should be right there on that page.<o></o><o></o>

The closing date for entries for the competition is end of March but donations (that won’t be judged) are welcome right up to the turnfest at Ballarat on Saturday 2nd May (or maybe the 3<sup>rd</sup> depending on preferences).<o></o><o></o>

The Turnfest the invitation is open to all members of the forum, the same as the ones at RSSER, Djs Timber, Robbo’s or any others that have been held. As well as forum members any person who makes a donation/bowl/platter is also welcome to attend. It’s not just for people participating in this competition<o></o><o></o>

Keep the entries coming and thanks to those who already contributed.<o></o><o></o>:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers<o></o>

Calm
20th March 2009, 01:42 PM
Just been told (by work) i am going to Adelaide Sunday - could leave early and arrrange to get there mid afternoon/evening - will leave truck at BP Truckstop on Grand Junction Road - can unhook Trailers and go short distance if necasary.

Cheers

tea lady
20th March 2009, 09:07 PM
My bowl is still being made Calm. Nearly there. Should get there on time. Will prolly have an extra or two for the sale.:cool:

David Mitchell
20th March 2009, 10:05 PM
Hi David
I will be in Ballarat on Sunday and will deliver 3 bowls to your place ok :wink:
and may be make another one before the 2nd May:wink:
Regards
David:2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
21st March 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi David,
My bowls were posted last Wednesday, so you should get them this week.
Good luck,
Shirley

RETIRED
21st March 2009, 10:53 PM
Photos?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2009, 03:09 AM
Mine got under way today, but it didn't take me long to discover it was a "two-second" blank. ie. during roughing it went "tick tick CLANG" :- (I prefer 60-second blanks, as at least they give you a chance to kill the lathe before ducking becomes a priority.)

Nevertheless, it has been epoxied back together and turning shall proceed. It shouldn't be too noticable. [fingers Xed]

Which is just a long-winded way of saying it may be too late for the judging but will make it for the charity. :)

Calm
22nd March 2009, 09:04 AM
My bowl is still being made Calm. Nearly there. Should get there on time. Will prolly have an extra or two for the sale.:cool:

If getting it to is easier then that would do, thanks

Hi David
I will be in Ballarat on Sunday and will deliver 3 bowls to your place ok :wink:
and may be make another one before the 2nd May:wink:
Regards
David:2tsup:

I will give you a ring, going through Aratat today about 1 - 3 pm

Hi David,
My bowls were posted last Wednesday, so you should get them this week.
Good luck,
Shirley

Thanks so much i will tell the kids to watch out for the parcel.

Cheers and thanks all.

Calm
22nd March 2009, 09:06 AM
Mine got under way today, but it didn't take me long to discover it was a "two-second" blank. ie. during roughing it went "tick tick CLANG" :- (I prefer 60-second blanks, as at least they give you a chance to kill the lathe before ducking becomes a priority.)

Nevertheless, it has been epoxied back together and turning shall proceed. It shouldn't be too noticable. [fingers Xed]

Which is just a long-winded way of saying it may be too late for the judging but will make it for the charity. :)

Thanks Skew, i know you will try your best, if it's pen blanks then so be it.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2009, 03:24 PM
Well... maybe not my best. If it's not making it into the judging, I'll probably skimp a bit n the sanding. :innocent:

Scratches that annoy judges are blissfully ignored by happy purchasers... and I hate finicky sanding. :D