PDA

View Full Version : Warning with cheap chucks

starr
23rd December 2008, 01:21 PM
I won a cheap 4 jaw chuck recently and have used it a few times. Generally it is fine, but the set screws holding in the jaws use a smaller Allen key than the M4 size used by my other chucks. I didn't use excess force when screwing in the jaws but when I tried to remove the screws, the Allen key simply turned in the hex holes on several and now I will have to take drastic action to remove the bolts.

I don't know if this is a common problem, but I would beware of buying anything which uses smaller than an M4 size set screw.

Calm
23rd December 2008, 01:32 PM
Drill the heads off - they are obviously soft metal - remove the jaws then get vice grips on the remaining bit to remove. replace with better quality screws should solve your problem.

Cheers

hughie
23rd December 2008, 03:23 PM
I won a cheap 4 jaw chuck recently and have used it a few times. Generally it is fine, but the set screws holding in the jaws use a smaller Allen key than the M4 size used by my other chucks. I didn't use excess force when screwing in the jaws but when I tried to remove the screws, the Allen key simply turned in the hex holes on several and now I will have to take drastic action to remove the bolts.

I don't know if this is a common problem, but I would beware of buying anything which uses smaller than an M4 size set screw.
[/QUOTE]

Sound like the screws are Imperial, where were the chucks made? If made in Taiwan thenit is most likely to be Imperial.

munruben
23rd December 2008, 05:42 PM
when I tried to remove the screws, the Allen key simply turned in the hex holes on several and now I will have to take drastic action to remove the bolts.
Doesn't that get your goat. :(

robyn2839
23rd December 2008, 07:44 PM
when I tried to remove the screws, the Allen key simply turned in the hex holes on several and now I will have to take drastic action to remove the bolts.

thats why everything i buy from c-tec,bunnies,hafco, etc unless it is a good brand i replace all the screws as this is a common problem,also i never tighten jaws overtight ,i just nip them up (they never go anywhere) and that does it,bty the way which brand chuck was it ?......bob

woodwork wally
23rd December 2008, 09:43 PM
Go to a supplier who deals only in bolts and fasteners and replace the screws with hitensile ones as they are a lot harder and get the key to match . the old ones could possibly come out using an "easyout" which will leave you with a sample for the screw supplier. Cheers for now WW.Wally

joe greiner
23rd December 2008, 11:50 PM
Small hex sockets are prone to this damage, because with only a wee amount of dust the key doesn't secure enough purchase for engagement. I suggest replacement with a more robust engagement, such as Phillips screws. I've done this with all my jaw screws, and they're easier to swap jaws. Also, keep a few extra screws in a plastic prescription bottle near the chuck storage, unless you really enjoy sifting through shavings.

Joe

Ed Reiss
24th December 2008, 12:04 AM
Starr, the saving grace here is that you won it and didn't have to shell out any $:U

Pat
24th December 2008, 10:22 AM
Also, keep a few extra screws in a plastic prescription bottle near the chuck storage, unless you really enjoy sifting through shavings.

Joe

Been there done that:doh:

robyn2839
24th December 2008, 11:27 AM
what brand was the chuck ? so others dont make the same mistake...bob

Gil Jones
24th December 2008, 11:54 AM
Just a thought...when I bought a 4-jaw scroll chuck from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6265, the T-handled hex wrenches (made in China, as was the chuck) where so undersized that I could not use them to remove/install the jaw screws, and the 8mm one was to small to work the scroll pinion. When I used a properly made metric hex key....no trouble.

Wizened of Oz
24th December 2008, 12:33 PM
Please don't label all cheap chucks as inferior.
I have 4 Nova chucks, 3 different models. Not long back I bought one of Gary Pye's cheap and cheerful Chinese chucks. In my experience to date it is the best of the 5 chucks and my favourite.