PDA

View Full Version : Transit van

Wongo
23rd December 2008, 02:39 PM
I am thinking of hiring a transit van to devliver a 2.5m long table. Would it fit?

Pat
23rd December 2008, 03:18 PM
Depends on which version Transit you hire. Medium Wheel Base has a load area length of 2949 and width of 1390.

echnidna
23rd December 2008, 03:20 PM
unlikely

Buzza
24th December 2008, 03:46 PM
As a one time owner of various vans, I can say, the footprint of the table must be able to negotiate the wheel arches of the van, plus meet your 2.5mtr table length. If the weather is clement, and you don't have far to go. try a "Car Trailer" and plenty of soft covers, tarps and ropes.

Gaza
26th December 2008, 11:01 PM
i would not waste your time hiring a van or trailer, just get a removalest to do it, end up costing the same plus you will have two professionals to carry it into the house when it gets there. You should get it done for a couple of hundread.

Wongo
27th December 2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks Gaza.

I prefer to do the job myself because I don’t really trust another one else. I also need to install the top so I need to be on site.

It looks like I might have to hire a small truck.

Geoff Dean
27th December 2008, 09:22 PM
I am thinking of hiring a transit van to devliver a 2.5m long table. Would it fit?

Don't use a transit van, get a Triton. :D:D:D

echnidna
27th December 2008, 09:34 PM
:doh:

Wongo
28th December 2008, 12:25 PM
Don't use a transit van, get a Triton. :D:D:D

Geoff, trust me mate. You are funnier than you look. :D

wheelinround
28th December 2008, 02:04 PM
Whats the cargo bay dimensions Scott of the Van

Being the great Mathematician it shouldn't be hard to work out the area

Now as to putting it in the van :doh: table base should be laid on its side or legs up
the top should be stood up on its side plenty of blankets/cushions and tie downs :2tsup:

Do not over strain either yourself or the wood :p

NCArcher
28th December 2008, 03:48 PM
If this table is for who I think it's for then you have quite a drive. A small removal van with a hydraulic lift tail gate wouldn't be too much more than a Transit Van.
How about something like this http://www.discountcar.com.au/carrentals/sydneycityrentals.htm

The 2 tonne pantech in Trucks and Vans. I'm pretty sure the standard car licence is ok for 2 tonne but you should check with the hire company.

Gaza
28th December 2008, 04:42 PM
cheapest place in sydney is balmain rentals get a small 2 tonne truck,

smidsy
31st December 2008, 08:45 AM
If you can, do the job on a weekday and you will find that you can get a truck for almost the same as weekend trailer rates. We were gonna pay $95 for a 10x8 covered trailer on a Saturday, but were able to get a good size truck for about $110 on the Friday, for $15 it isn't worth farting about with a trailer - granted we paid fuel as well, but we would have paid fuel in the tow car anyway with a trailer.

Most people move on weekends so the car hire joints are willing to do deals to get the trucks out on weekdays.
Cheers