PDA

View Full Version : Segmented help

lubbing5cherubs
23rd December 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi
Some time back I was emailed some plans that you do segmented bowls with dowels on the edges. it was timber glued up seperate ways ot make a very effective bowl. Do you know who I would of got these from so that I can duplicate them. I lost them when I my computer blew up but I would love to source them again. Does anyone know where to get them from
bye Toni

brianmary
24th December 2008, 01:48 PM
I do segmented wood turning and here is a couple photo's of my project

Texian
25th December 2008, 01:54 PM
Toni,
Your best bet might be to order a copy of Malcolm Tibbetts' book, "The Art of Segmented Woodturning". Probably still available from Amazon for about US$17. The book is very well written and has excellent pictures of the various aspects of segmenting.

lubbing5cherubs
25th December 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi No sorry I need to explain this whole bowls I were sent were done from straight wood. no angle cutting at all just glue up with dowels on the edge that is it
bye TOni

joe greiner
26th December 2008, 12:18 AM
I have a vague recollection of a blank built up from dowels assembled radially, but I think they would need to be tapered for proper glue joints. The ends of the dowels would face inside and out.

For an assembly of straight dowels, perhaps something like stave assembly would work. Each dowel would be parallel to the lathe axis. It might be necessary to use different-size dowels at each radius, to get good glue joints. The dowel lengths could be tailored to the outside dimensions of the final shape. And smaller dowels could be placed in the gaps amongst the larger ones.

Just thinking out loud, mind you. The final result could be weird or handsome, or both.

Joe