PDA

View Full Version : Marbles Anyone?

Tankstand
24th December 2008, 06:10 PM
Hello to all!

I am proud to show you my first attempt at THESE (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/album.php?albumid=137)

I ordered in the cats eyes and one inch game sets from the lovely people at the Moon Marble Company (http://www.moonmarble.com/) although their web site would not accept my credit card details so I had to ring them one morning, 5am ish (It was still cheaper than most of the calls my kids make!)

The chinese checkers (550mm Dia.) and both jarrah solitaires were commissioned by my boss for his family. He supplied the wood for the checkers board in the form of an old school desk his father saved from his time in the education dept, wood unknown, but quite heavy and perfectly quarter sawn. It was three 9" boards wide, 45mm thick and slightly bowed but the joints were gaping, I had to rip it down and rejoin with dominoes.

The 250 X 50 Jarrah was sourced for me by Marginata, Thanking you again David.

As these were commissioned by my boss, all of the templates were created at work! All drawn in AutoCad and then machined out of MDF on the mill! The checkers template suits a 30mm template guide to allow a 1" cove bit through it. The rest suit a 19mm guide to utilise a 5/8" cove bit. I also made a template for a chinese checkers with 5/8" marbles.

The four solitares were for my siblings and the blanks came from Wood-duck's shed clearance, I think Chris told me they were left overs from a sauna build, they are very light, possibly Cedar? All 245mm diameter and 27mm thick.

coffenup
28th December 2008, 10:28 PM
love em I remember having those toys when I was a kid.
regards Michael

Yonnee
28th December 2008, 11:22 PM
Nice work Tankstand.

artme
29th December 2008, 08:05 AM
Good stuff Tankstand.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Brings back a few childhood memories.:)

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 03:45 PM
good stuff :2tsup::2tsup:

munruben