PDA

View Full Version : segmented turning

brianmary
26th December 2008, 08:33 PM
I am a new member who has been feeling his way& making a few blues trying to use this forum. Have started to do segmented turning. I use 2 programs to work out the set up they are Wood turner pro & Kevin Neelleys Table saw miter angles.Have included some photos of my work. would like to hear from other segmented turners as i am still in the novice category in wood turning with lots to learn Also would like to hear from YDNA001 as we are both west aussies I am a member of the WA Wood turners association:U brian

lubbing5cherubs
26th December 2008, 08:39 PM
wow mate! bloody awesome effort, that is great.
Toni

artme
26th December 2008, 10:41 PM
:o:o wowee!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
26th December 2008, 11:15 PM
Beautiful work Brian Did you say you're a novice? hard to believe.
Welcome to the forum.:2tsup::o:2tsup: I'd like to see more of your turnings :)
Cheers Tony.

WoodJunky
26th December 2008, 11:28 PM
:2tsup: Bloody Brilliant work Brian :2tsup:

and Welcome to the forum

will definitely be looking forward to see more of your turnings

wheelinround
27th December 2008, 09:39 AM
:o brilliant :no: bloody fantastic for a novice :2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
27th December 2008, 12:52 PM
That's a beautiful piece Brian. Maybe a novice turner but not a novice constructor.

Ed Reiss
27th December 2008, 11:39 PM
Nice work Brian:2tsup:

...you could give lessons to others!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th December 2008, 02:36 AM
You're off to a damned good start!

If you want some inspiration, I'd suggest doing a search for posts by Powderpost... he's one of the segmented work gurus around here. :)

Hardenfast
28th December 2008, 08:23 AM
Most impressive Brian.

As Skew has suggested you should have a look at some of Powderpost's works - very nice stuff - consistently.

You should also check out some of the older posts by Bill Wyko. Bill hasn't been here for a while but he is/was also a segmented turner with limited experience and his work looked like it was straight out of a text book. One of his posts is here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=48297). Your piece here reminds me somewhat of Bill's work.

I am also a comparative novice in segmented works, having now completed 4 or 5 bowls of varying design. The last one I posted is here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=84789).

It would be great to see some of your cutting and assembly techniques, as well as how you chuck your pieces - if you've got time to do a WIP. I look forward to more posts of your work.

Wayne

dai sensei
28th December 2008, 11:40 AM
Beautiful work :2tsup: & welcome to the forums.

ydna001
30th December 2008, 10:58 AM
Great work Brian,
Did you say your a novice, a beautiful and complex design, must have taken alot of time, precision and patience. But thats what segmented turning is all about. Well done!!
Whereabouts in Perth are you?

brianmary
31st December 2008, 08:09 AM
YDNA001
i live in mandurah i am not sure of the protacol for this forum but my email is [email protected] .au here is my latest bowl

joe greiner
1st January 2009, 12:44 AM
Very nice work, Brian. Keep 'em coming.

Regarding protocol of posting your e-mail address, the choice is pretty much yours. The FAQs on forum usage can guide you. In general, some anonymity is preferred, to reduce data mining by Internet robots, and subsequent spam. Changing your e-mail address after the fact can be tedious. If this is the only occurrence, you can remove it by Editing your post within 24 hours; beyond that, an admin/mod can fix it if desired, by Private Message, citing the occurrence(s).

Joe

ydna001
2nd January 2009, 08:39 PM
AWESOME!!! What is the finish that you used.

brianmary
3rd January 2009, 05:11 PM
YNDA001 I sprayed the bowl with wattyl stlywood 50% satin then cut it back with a super fine cutting compound .Here are some pictures of how to make a compound mitre bowl but not using the rings. it gives the bowl a different effect by gluing the layers to the out side of the timber. they are bit trying to make as the mitres are very touchy as you can get out by a few thousands of an inch when you multiply that by 24 cutts it gets a bit frustrating.cheers brian:U

regulated
3rd January 2009, 08:22 PM
I have always wanted to give segmented turning a go. The problem is there is no way I could ever make something as nice as that. Very nice work. Maybe one day I will be brave enough to try it.

BJ

Harry72
3rd January 2009, 08:23 PM
Another nice one, good work Brian

ydna001
3rd January 2009, 10:00 PM
brianmary. Awesome work, interesting constuction method and a great result. What other timber did you use other than sheoak. I am going to try my hand at "staved" construction method for my next project. It will be a real challenge, I will take lots of pics as I go so others can offer different or alternative methods.
Cheers
Andy. (ydna001)

nine fingers
4th January 2009, 11:58 AM
I have always wanted to give segmented turning a go. The problem is there is no way I could ever make something as nice as that. Very nice work. Maybe one day I will be brave enough to try it.

BJ

Brian, As what BJ said ,I would be frightened it would disintergrate as I was turning.:oo: What glue do you use and what is the wall thickness of the last bowl.
regards John

Willy Nelson
4th January 2009, 04:50 PM
Nice work there Brian, you may be a newcomer to the forum, but you aint no novice on the lathe. Nice lathe too, just like mine.
More photos please
Regards
Willy