PDA

View Full Version : Me Don't like segmenting any more

lubbing5cherubs
28th December 2008, 11:12 PM
:((:C:C:no::o
2 days gluing up. and to find my maths were wrong as the one side of the circle is round the second side not even toughed yet until went through the timber on the wrong side. Eek so devastated after all that effort with doing some pattern work to have this happen. Enough to make you want to cry bucket loads
bye Toni

44Ronin
28th December 2008, 11:58 PM
Making a drum?

joe greiner
29th December 2008, 01:04 AM
Oh dear! Only one stuff-up to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?:oo:

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Chin up, girl. Every failure is a learning experience. Success doesn't teach much of anything, except arrogance.

Joe

Ad de Crom
29th December 2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah Toni, Joe hit the nail right on his head.
Hey, keep up Toni, one good night sleep, and the next day you think different.
I made several mistakes, before my first segmented turning looks a bit nice.
Ad

artme
29th December 2008, 07:29 AM
Bummer!:((:((

Back to the drawing board and don't do that again!:D

Ed Reiss
29th December 2008, 01:11 PM
Sure thing Toni...have a good cry, down some good scotch, say to hell with it for a couple of days, then go back to it refreshed. You'll do allright!:2tsup:

joe greiner
29th December 2008, 01:51 PM
Toni, after you've digested the above, have a squint at what I [added] at #10 here: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86136

Cheers,
Joe

Hardenfast
29th December 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Toni. I must admit to smiling as I read your post. Not because of any delight at your misfortune (there's word in German for that), but at having done something similar myself.

Unfortunately (some would say), I never bother with jigs or formulas etc - I usually just jump right in and start cutting & glueing. I haven't ended up with an eccentric (off centre) build-up like yours yet, but I have ended up not being able to get a consistent wall thickness from base to top because of poor planning.

I'll bet most segmented practicioners have had the occasional stuff up in their layer building. Still, hasn't stopped me attacking more challenging designs. Back into it - and make sure you show us the revised model.

Wayne

Texian
29th December 2008, 03:19 PM
Toni,
Can you show us pictures of what happened? We all have unexpected design-revision opportunities. Do not give up.

I am 17 days into my current project with no guarantee that it will be successful. Must press on as if we have a clue what we are doing, and learn as we go. Good luck.

lubbing5cherubs
29th December 2008, 03:43 PM
I have been giving this some thought. Do you know if there is a way that I can sort or rebuild back up the inside the bowl on the pine side because that side is plain to counteract my booboo
toni
PS my daughter that is 9 says to fix it was just put a star on the top and use it for next years christmas tree. Bless her little bugga!

Here is them not really good need lots of sanding. It very rough at this stage:B
I did it not with the angled segmenting but you know the one where it cut in semi circles and reglued. I made a mistake when I cut it out how I thought they had I ended up with them all falling back into a semi circle so I did with the pine and made it wider so that it sat up into bowl shape. (i know I am no good at explaining things)
Anyway see if you think or a way that I could rebuild up the inside some how if I set it up and turn out the inside then rebuild up the inside to try and save it
bye Toni

PSS attachment 3 sort of the middle of the bowl that black mark in the picture is the hole but it is all very thin on that side.

Texian
29th December 2008, 04:26 PM
Toni,
It is going to be a difficult "save". No way to replace material that has already been turned away. Picture 5 shows the blank to be centered on a block that I assume fits into your chuck. But picture 8 shows the blank "leaning" to one side. If you could center the open end of the blank with a disc centered on your tailstock before tightening the chuck jaws on the base of the blank, you might have a chance of saving it. Hard to describe in writing.

Looks like the problem may have started with the way the blank was built. Many people build a segmented piece on the lathe, ring by ring. Each new ring is centered by using the tailstock with a cone center or other device to center the new ring and apply pressure to the glue joint.

Doubt this was much help. Maybe someone here will have some better suggestions.

lubbing5cherubs
29th December 2008, 05:53 PM
I did do each piece on the lathe that why I am so dissapointed but obviously not squarely

ydna001
4th January 2009, 06:12 PM
I remember completely finishing a bowl of 196 pieces and as I took it off the lathe as I had just finished the final waxing and polishing, then bugger me, I dropped it on the concrete floor splitting some joints and several deep dents.
I got over it just as you will. You will probably look back on this and laugh about it sooner than you think. Best to get back on the horse asap, we all learn from ours and others mistakes.

skot
4th January 2009, 06:27 PM
Toni,
Why not do an offset turn, offset the centre and see what you come up with. You may be surprised and get something out of the ordinary.

powderpost
15th January 2009, 11:57 AM
Missed this post earlier, but will try to help you out Toni. Hope I am not too late. :~ If you are using a chuck to grip the bottom (not a good idea) and assuming the top is still flat, put a face plate with a sacrificial bit of wood and turn a rebate so the top of the bowl on the headstock and press the top of the bowl against it and bring up the tail stock centre to hold it firmly against the face plate. Now carefully re-shape the bottom spigot to fit more squarely into the chuck. Re-chuck it and put a piece of ply or particle board against the top and support that with the tail stock.

If you have glued the bowl to a waste block on the face plate (recommended) Cut the blank off the waste block and do much the same thing. True up the waste block and re glue the blank.

Hope that is of some help.
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
16th January 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi JIm it is on a waste block but I was holding it in the jaws not inside a recess though. So I will cut off the base and try to move it over. see if I can get it done a bit.
thanks for that JIm
Toni