PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Setup

tc1
30th December 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi All. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Tony and I have been looking at the forums for just over a year now. I have been amazed at what members are producing and the quality is superb. Anyway, I needed an outlet that would provide relaxation and subsequently was lent a small lathe to see if I liked turning. You can guess the rest.
I purchased a Nova 1624 at the recent Canberra WWW show however, due to other commitments I have only just commenced setting it up. I would like to raise the lathe by about 3 inches as I am 6’2” tall (sorry old school). Can any forum members please advise me as to what would be best to place under the legs (wood, concrete blocks etc) as I am not sure how much vibration will be produced.
Thanks for your assistance....Cheers.

lubbing5cherubs
30th December 2008, 04:49 PM
Can't help you with your lathe problem but I want to say welcome out of lurkdom into our forum. Hope this will be the first of many posts. Can't wait to see your work
bye Toni

wheelinround
30th December 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Tony welcome more people caught in the ACT of wood turning :2tsup:

my choice find a stool :U joking a solid base would be best something that you can bolt it to

Or ditch the stand it came with and make one of your own to suit :2tsup:

Pat
30th December 2008, 05:27 PM
Following on Ray's line of thinking. A purpose made bench or stand to the height that you require. Either out of steel or wood, your choice. Bolted to the floor, walls, weighed down by sand, bricks, beer, turning blanks so it does not try to tango with you.

Example 1 (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/new_lathe_stand.htm)
2 (http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/articles/machinery/lathestand/lathestand.html)
3 (http://www.how-to-home.com/free-plans-for-a-heavy-duty-lathe-stand.html)

There were plenty more, google is your friend:)

robutacion
30th December 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi All. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Tony and I have been looking at the forums for just over a year now. I have been amazed at what members are producing and the quality is superb. Anyway, I needed an outlet that would provide relaxation and subsequently was lent a small lathe to see if I liked turning. You can guess the rest.
I purchased a Nova 1624 at the recent Canberra WWW show however, due to other commitments I have only just commenced setting it up. I would like to raise the lathe by about 3 inches as I am 6’2” tall (sorry old school). Can any forum members please advise me as to what would be best to place under the legs (wood, concrete blocks etc) as I am not sure how much vibration will be produced.
Thanks for your assistance....Cheers.

Hi Tony,
I've got the same lathe, even though I haven't have the hight problem with it, I would suggest 2 possible and simple way to raise the lathe those 3".

First - Cut 4 cubes from a 4"x 4" timber post, glue a piece of black rubber (insertion) 3 to 5mm thick on the cube that is going to be on the floor, cut a hole (forstner/spade bit) the same diameter of the plastic black foot that come with the lathe (original), at a depth of 1" or less (you can game a little more than the 3" here if needed). The hole only has to be 10mm deep to hold into place. Any differences of hight, will be adjusted through the original threaded rod and nut assembly.

Second- Remove (unscrew) the black plastic base feet, with the threaded rod attached to it. Measure the length of the rod, then purchase another 4 x pieces of threaded rod (same diameter and thread) but 3" or more longer, (is enough room inside of the leg for a few inches more if you wish). Install the plastic feet on the new threaded rod, and reassemble it back into the lathe legs, adjust and lock the nuts.

Good luck!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Sawdust Maker
31st December 2008, 10:25 AM
Tony
welcome to the forum
It really depends on what stand or legs you got with the lathe
I'd simply get two pieces of 3x4, long enough for the two end legs to stand on comfortably. lift the lathe assembly up and stand on each. Then screw the leg bases to the 3x4. Screw or bolt each 3x4 to the floor if you like. This will work for this (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107145442&product_id=1107452383)cast stand.
If it is this (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107452285)stand or legs then to negate the possibility of the legs vibrating off you would need to drill holes in say a couple of pieces of 4x4 as robutacion says
Another option could be to raise the bed 3" above the legs. You'd need longer bolts to go through the bed, chock and then the leg assembly. I'm not sure what this would do to the stability of the lathe. It might raise the centre of gravity a bit high. dunno
Actually another option just came to me. If you know someone with a welder you could get the legs extended by welding on a piece the right length.
good luck

tc1
31st December 2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your advice. I think initially, I will give the 4 x 4 option a go and see what eventuates. Cheers.

rsser
31st December 2008, 06:19 PM
Rule of thumb for spindle height is elbow height when the 'turning' hand is placed over the other shoulder with fingers curved over it.

If you have a bad back, or if you're intent on a lot of hollowing, then add 2-3 inches.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Ed Reiss
1st January 2009, 12:37 AM
:welcome(1)::wts:

Fredo
2nd January 2009, 09:50 AM
Tony,
Welcome to the forum, I see you've been getting some good advice about your lathe problem.
I don't know if you are aware of the ACT Woodcraft Guild, if not it's something you should consider. We have a very active wood turning group, there are four SIG (special interest groups) covering most aspects of wood turning, there is also a well stocked library with a wealth of information, as well as lots of free help and advice from the members. Check out the website www.woodcraftguild.org.au (http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au) and in particular the Newsletters that have information regarding SIG meetings or PM me your phone no. if you need any information or help with advice on tools and turning etc.

Fredo :U

Tornatus
2nd January 2009, 11:54 AM
:whs::iagree: What Fredo didn't mention is that he is one of our Wise Old Turners, and is very generous with his help and advice for novices. We run special courses for beginners, and at our regular turning sessions (2nd Monday evening, 3rd Saturday afternoon) and Shed open days (Tuesday & Thursday) there always people like Fredo around to give you any help you need to get you completely addicted ...er, involved in this great hobby.

The only thing Fredo isn't qualified to advise you on is lathe height adjustment, as he is a bit vertically challenged, but at 6' 4'' (in the old way of telling time) I am very experienced at that sort of thing .....:;

tc1
2nd January 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Fredo / Tornatus. The Woodcraft Guild is something that I have been aware of and had intended to look into this year. Certainly interested in any courses etc that the guild may run as this is one of the best ways to learn. Fredo PM sent. Cheers.

Woodturnerjosh
2nd January 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi,
I'm a similar height to you and after fooling around with sleepers and cast concrete blocks I ended up at the local steel supplier and bought 5mm section steel I-beams that I welded to the bottom of the stand. If you do go down this path I recommend drilling holes in them first and welding on some nuts to screw some levelers into.
Cheers
Josh