PDA

View Full Version : WIP Wool Truck

LiliB
31st December 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Everyone
For those who are interested, I have begun the work in progress for David's wool truck.

The picture of a Riverina home made wool transport ute was the inspiration, and since there are no plans, David has had to use photos, and his imagination for many of the elements on this project.

It began life as a model T ute, but we have since found out it is a 1926-7 Chevrolet 4, so ours is a Chev/Ford conglomeration. Apologies to the purists for any incorrect detail.

Stage 1.

David made four wheels, and turned spacers for the axels and also made the blocks to hold the axel to the chassis. On his little lathe, he turned 4 hubs for the wheels and moulded the nuts on the end on the bench grinder.

Details of how he made his wheels are on an earlier post.

I'm still learning the limitations of the posting process here, and will post the next stages shortly.

Cheers
LiliB

LiliB
31st December 2008, 03:06 PM
Stage 2 - the Cabin and Engine

David created the cabin, with an oval rear window scrolled out. He cut the seats from a couple of red gum scraps and glued them in. He scrolled the steering wheel, dash cluster, and turned two pedals as well as the gear stick. The engine block was made next. Using the scroll saw he made the radiator surround, found a suitable piece of mesh for the radiator grille. Of course it had to have a radiator cap, so he made on on the lathe.

The lines on the engine block and the seats were made with a Dremel.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

DJ’s Timber
31st December 2008, 03:24 PM
Coming along nicely :2tsup:

What are the approximate dimensions? Maybe include an AA battery or similar in the shots so that we can see how small or big each object is.

mick59wests
31st December 2008, 03:52 PM
looking great!!!:2tsup:

Mick

LiliB
31st December 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi DJ

I'm a slow learner aren't I? Trouble is I'm more concerned about the clarity of my text and photos than with thinking about dimensions. Will include a AA battery with future shots.

LiliB
:-:-:-

AUSSIE
31st December 2008, 06:25 PM
Looking good Dave Keep it going.:2tsup:
Maybe put a ruler in shot now and again.
That way we see the size as it grows.
Tell Lili she is doing a good job as well:D

LiliB
1st January 2009, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone
The Barlow Coach Building workshop is in full swing.

Stage 3 The Chassis

We had to try to determine a correct size for the chassis and took the proportions from the photo. There was a danger that the finished product might look wrong if the chassis was too long. Naturally it had to be a box chassis (search me!!).

I have included a couple of shots with rulers etc to give an impression of what size we are dealing with.

He's busy making mudguards at the moment, which will comprise stage 4, when he also builds the ute back.

Cheers
LiliB

AUSSIE
1st January 2009, 11:40 AM
Wow! Looking good.At this rate it will be finished in no time.:U
Aussie

wheelinround
1st January 2009, 11:44 AM
beautiful work Dave & Lilli a great representation

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Ray

artme
1st January 2009, 02:52 PM
Wonderful LiliB! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Makes me cringe to think of my inept efforts in the field.:oo:

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 03:10 PM
Very nice looking work. Great attention to detail

That first photo looks very familiar, you don't have any rice farming relatives up leeton/griffith way do you?

LiliB
1st January 2009, 04:01 PM
Hi Sawdust maker

No I'm an orphan when it comes to relations in this area. Only HWBO. If anyone has photos of this kind of vehicle, then I'd love to see them. At the moment, the back is anyone's guess.

I have just finished soaking some calico in tea to give it some colour for the wool bales. The mudguards are finished, the back bumper has been scrolled. Will post more photos tomorrow.

Artme I don't think anyone should be disparaging about their own work. We can all criticise our work and find fault with it, but in the end, something unique has always been achieved. And the journey is as satisfying as the destination. Dave and I often differ on lots of points along the way, and we both end up being satisfied with the outcome. The name of the game is progress with satisfaction. The lovely thing about this forum is that people are so positive and supportive.

Cheers
LiliB

LiliB
2nd January 2009, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone,
Yesterday was productive and the truck is nearing completion.

Stage 4 -Mudguards, body details, bumper and windscreen

The first thing made were the Mudguards. They were scrolled in two sections, front and back. After glueing on, wheel arches from fine red gum were installed.

The back and front screen were made from a piece of DVD case. Pristine and new, the screens worked well and were see through. The front screen is a two part unit, hence the black line to simulate the division.

The bumpers were scrolled from a small block of red gum, with David adjusting the pattern for compound cutting for a corner. Luckily the front bumper emerged from the waste piece. So we got two for one piece of work.

At the end of the day, the vehicle was pretty much built, but will now require a ute back from redgum mini boards, its wool bales (I destroyed an old teddy this morning for the dacron filling, since our local fabric shop wasn't open. The dog for whom I bought it at a charity shop won't miss it!!) Then it will be coats of poly to get some of the wood up more. That's my job, and I look forward to it.

Cheers
LiliB

mick59wests
2nd January 2009, 05:18 PM
LiliB,

fantastic to say the least!. I am glad you describe how the pieces are made. It certainly helps me (and I am sure many others) to learn.

cheers

Mick:D

wheelinround
3rd January 2009, 09:29 AM
No won't do Lilli Decron gee's :o you live in the heart of wool country surely someone has a sheep

pm me I'll knock some of LOML real fibre off and send it :D

LiliB
3rd January 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Everyone
Yesterday was crate building day. The new triton saw is a beauty. Picked one up at Bunnings before Christmas. Will cut as fine as Dave's compound mitre, and saves him from using the thicknesser. The bits were cut out, including the tie rail of course!!

The crate was built separately and attached to the body with glue. I dropped the toy yesterday evening, and thank God it was wood glue he used, not anything else. Only the glue let go and the crate came crashing down. No harm done. I breathe again!!!

When he finished the truck, he wanted the wheel hubs and lights painted. Not an easy task at the end of the day, and in future, I'll paint anything like that, before it goes onto the model.

I think the truck is drop dead gorgeous, and what's more, totally original. No plans, just a few pics from Google image and the original photo. When it is compared to Dave's fire truck, the models in the original book are very crude, and lack finesse. Especially to a mechanic's trained eye.

Now all we have to do is make the bales, and tie them on. Of course we'll have to comply with the RTA Load Restraint Guide!! (Private joke aimed at Dave)

And no, Wheelin', we're not going to shear the sheep for authenticity. I already killed a teddy in the name of this project.

Cheers
LiliB

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 10:32 AM
That looks really good - magic work
destroyed a teddy bear :o
and is it going to have sheepskin seat covers :D
what stencil are you going to put on the wool bales?

LiliB
3rd January 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Sawdust Maker

Dave reckons we should brand it Virgin Wool, from sheep that have never been near a ram!!!

Lili (Teddy Bear killer)
:o:o:o

Chipman
3rd January 2009, 01:04 PM
What a beautiful truck! Extremely well crafted:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers,

Chipman

Tex79
3rd January 2009, 03:13 PM
What an absolute beauty, you guys should be very proud of yourselves.

:2tsup: Two thumbs up.

Cheers,

Evan

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 04:34 PM
the bales usually had the station name or the name of the owner and then the class of the wool ie AAA or something similiar
a bit like this :D

Ruddy
3rd January 2009, 05:28 PM
A great thread Lilib.....and great work. Love the detail.

Ruddy

AUSSIE
3rd January 2009, 05:37 PM
Great job Dave & Lili,but you know,the teddy ghost is coming to get you.
What a shocking thing to do to the poor thing:D:rolleyes::wink:

munruben
3rd January 2009, 08:46 PM
Great work. Little truck looks terrific. fascinating stuff. Love it.:2tsup:

coffenup
4th January 2009, 08:01 PM
bloody fantastic truck:2tsup::2tsup:
Regards Michael