PDA

View Full Version : Rtfm

skot
31st December 2008, 10:11 PM
I got a 2nd hand VL175 in August but because of building a photo studio for my wife, have not had time to give it a good try out.

Well, I am on holiday for a week and decided yesterday to do some turning. After a short while I noticed that the bearings and headstock were getting a bit hot. I looked up on the net last night and read that the configuration of the bearings on the VL175 did that which eased my mind a little.

As I was sitting in my shed today having a coffee break, I decided to give the 15 page manual that came with the lathe a bit of a read (luckily the bloke I bought it from kept everything).

Low and behold ..on page 8 it states that if the bearings and headstock get hot to touch...adjust the "Bearing Adjustment Collar"....I did and now it runs at a cool to warm temp....bingo.

Moral to the story Skot...."RTFM....Read The F$%^ing Manual"

ss_11000
31st December 2008, 10:37 PM
ah, but that would be a code violation ;) :D

skot
31st December 2008, 10:45 PM
I'd accept the violation as opposed to a shorter bearing life

ss_11000
1st January 2009, 12:19 AM
fair enough mate :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
1st January 2009, 12:23 AM
What's next....actually stopping to ask directions??:o:no::no:

artme
1st January 2009, 09:36 AM
Skot you come from the same genetic pool as LOML! :D:D:D

skot
1st January 2009, 09:36 AM
Never, That's what the GPS is for.

Now that the lathe is running cool, time to get some turning done...but first I have to reshape a couple of gouges that came with the lathe as it looks like the previous owner sharpened them by eye and freehand and they don't work too well.

Time to pullout the Tormek

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2009, 06:21 PM
:D

And you say you bought it 2nd hand? I can't help but wonder what the other bloke did with it... did he sell 'cos it was "broken" and got too hot? :innocent:

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 09:11 PM
I spose now you've looked at the manual, you'll be buying a new street map during the sales :o

skot
1st January 2009, 09:12 PM
I don't know Skew, he said he had a bad back and couldn't do the lathe work that he wanted to. All I know is I believe I got a great deal. The pic below shows what I got. The boxes contain a VM100 chuck, Dovetail jaws, Shark jaws as well as 13 various chisels all for $2800. Since this pic I have added a Forward/reverse switch.

I just know I am very happy with the way it's running now.

Tried my very first bowl today...turning the outside went well....created a recess in the base for the VM100 chuck. Chucked to do the inside...all was going well until my bowl gouge caught..(read Skot doesn't know what he was doing) and discovered that the recess wasn't deep enough and blew out the recess.

Glad I was wearing the full face shield and I dodged it as it passed over my right shoulder.....much fun. Attack it again tomorrow. At least I have learnt a couple of lessons in bowl turning, so the piece of Jacarandah didn't die in vain.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2009, 09:53 PM
I don't know Skew, he said he had a bad back and couldn't do the lathe work that he wanted to. All I know is I believe I got a great deal. The pic below shows what I got. The boxes contain a VM100 chuck, Dovetail jaws, Shark jaws as well as 13 various chisels all for $2800. Since this pic I have added a Forward/reverse switch.

Good buy!

Tried my very first bowl today...turning the outside went well....created a recess in the base for the VM100 chuck. Chucked to do the inside...all was going well until my bowl gouge caught..(read Skot doesn't know what he was doing) and discovered that the recess wasn't deep enough and blew out the recess.

I've seen people turn bowls with almost no recess, perhaps only a mm or so deep. I've no idea how they manage it without creating UFOs. :no:

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2009, 11:05 PM

blvddy hell, I'm jealous!

rsser
3rd January 2009, 01:04 PM
Skot, I looked at that ad and just about jumped into the car to come up from Melb!

Good score.

Had one as my last lathe. Only gripe was the hassle changing from low to high speed ratio. My Forester has a lever that takes 2 secs to do it.

Just one tip ... when you get to do outboard turning, 'pre-tension' the toolrest post to avoid vibration. Ie., lift the bracket up and push the post down before clamping. Only needs two hands and a foot ;-}

skot
3rd January 2009, 01:39 PM
rsser,
Thanks for the heads up but as I am only starting, it may be some time before I move onto outboard turning therefore the need to change to a lower ratio speed may be able to wait until I do some larger diameter stuff. I had a look at how to change the belt and I agree that it is a little slow.

new_guy90
3rd January 2009, 03:45 PM
you got a really good buy :2tsup: just wondering how old is it?

skot
3rd January 2009, 05:35 PM
Plate on Machine says "2001"