PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for My First Attempt

Old Fella
1st January 2009, 05:49 PM
Hello,
My first time here and looking for some ideas to try on my lathe
it's nothing great a 1mtr bed came with basic tools that i got for $50-00
brand new at a Supacheap autos clearance sale
I have tried a goblet/eggcup but buggered it up cause i didn't plan it out enough
and don't have the knowledge to fix it up
It came with a 4 tooth chuck type thing and a screw on to wood base plate as well as a pointy grip thing
Some suggestions on types of timber would also be appreciated and as i got injured at
work and now only have one fully working leg , cash is a problem !

Thanks Michael
:?

dai sensei
1st January 2009, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the forums.

With those cheap lathes it is better to aim small. Pens, key ring holders etc are good. You can even get into tool handles and small plates and bowls. Don't try blanks that are too big or you will end up with a bent drive shaft, like I did with my first cheap lathe :-:~

When you have out grown the lathe, they make good variable speed sanding stations :rolleyes:

artme
1st January 2009, 07:08 PM
G'day Old Fella and welcome to our world.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

If there is a club near you I suggest you join and get some instruction Otherwise borrow books from the library, or buy them and teach yourself.

Start out with simple projects that will make use of basic tool skills.

Mulgabill
1st January 2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Old Fella! Welcome.
The only way it get experience is to turn, turn and turn some more. Check your local library and woodworking clubs for ideas and assistance.
Providing you can still get around, I found a good source for scrap timber/pine is to scout around the industrial estates for pallets or packing cases and perhaps go dump-master diving. It's good enough to learn the basics with. Good Luck.
We look forward to seeing your progress.

orificiam
1st January 2009, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Old Fella what Artme said ,join a club if possible and read lots
of woodturning mags.there's also plenty of good DVDs on woodturning,you could also try your local library sometimes they do have videos or DVDs on woodturning.
hope this helps. don't worry about your machine being a cheapy. you can always upgrade down the track.:)
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

orraloon
1st January 2009, 08:32 PM
Welcome Old Fella,
What the others have said. When I got my first lathe I got a good book on turning along with it. I first turned a simple cilinder to get used to the tools. Used calipers and turned it to the size I had set myself. Next I practiced coves and beads and using the parting tool to define sizes. Next parting off. I used old pine bits. After an afternoon of that I then got stuck into real stuff like handles and things. A rolling pin for swambo is a good first project if you can trust her with one. When the tools become familiar at spindle work then try bowls. Small ones to start. Plenty help on here when you have a problem.

Regards
John

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 08:58 PM
welcome Old Fella (not sure you're that old!)
what everyone else has said - books are good as are DVDs. my local library had heaps and had a network which enabled me to borrow the dvds :2tsup:
turning is like a lot of other things - the more you practice the better you get
I did a two day (weekend) course, very helpful
I hope you get more time at the lathe than I can manage :o
cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2009, 09:57 PM
The most helpful woodturning book any beginner can buy is "Woodturning: a foundation course" by Keith Rowley. (http://www.booktopia.com.au/woodturning-a-foundation-course/prod9781861081148.html)

No other book I've bought has so many "Aha! Now I understand!" moments in it. :wink:

robutacion
1st January 2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, welcome to the place of wisdom and other things...!:D

Another good way to learn, is to watch others turning, this can be easily achieved by watching videos on YouTube, lots to chose from.

A lathe like yours, is able to produce lots of good work, and a large number of us, started that way so, don't worry!
Look around with your eyes looking for timber, you find that you will see lots more than what you expect. Other sources of free timber are the local dump, the local tree fellow, the local council, and your neighbours. Maybe looking for a second hand electric chainsaw, ($30 to $50) will help you with preparing some of the logs you bring home.

Good luck!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

orraloon
2nd January 2009, 05:47 AM
I will second Skew on the book. It is the one to get.

Chipman
2nd January 2009, 07:57 AM
Old Fella, Welcome.

As a relative newbie to wood turning, what I have found really helpful is to go to the get togethers of the forum woodturners or go to a club and watch experienced turners work. There are lots of turners out there who will help you. If you post the Suburb you live in, you will probably find there is one of us not so far away.

Cheers,
Chipman

Old Fella
2nd January 2009, 04:12 PM
All the ideas have merit, and will get to them in time,
she who must be obeyed and the dr's have made me put it away for the time being
as they feel im doing to much on the leg and its not knitting properly
so if its ok i might just sandbag for a while
Thanks again for the info and advice

Have A Happy New Year to All :?

Ed Reiss
3rd January 2009, 01:12 AM
Hi Old Fella, welcome to the forums....and 50 ain't "old"!!!:U

Understandably the doc probably doesn't want you putting a lot of pressure on the leg while it heals. You might consider having the lathe mounted on a "low" table (centerline of the lathe spindle same height as your elbow) so that you can sit to do the turning. Some lathe manufacturers are now offering swing down options for folks that have to sit due to medical considerations ( Oneway's "The 1236SD (sit down) Lathe" is an example).

Wishing you a Get Well Soon so that you can get to turning!!:2tsup:

munruben
3rd January 2009, 12:10 PM
Take it easy mate until you are healed again. I have only recently started turning and had some great help from forumites near and far. In fact got some hands on instructions from a few of them for which I am forever in their debt. When you get better, put up another post and I am sure someone close to you may be able to give you a few personal pointers and a bit of a demo. I read books too but seeing someone doing some turning and showing you is a great learning curve. Good luck with your recovery