PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarcs

artme
1st January 2009, 09:44 PM
Great lathes, and probably most of us would love to own one.

While I was in Italy I visited Claude ( La Truciolara ) in Verona. I went out to his shool/workshop and every single lathe is a Vicmarc. We were discussing the merits of various machines and I was astounded at how up to date he was with things in Australia and his knowledge of the lathes of the world.

However the thing that struck me most was his absolute respect for the Vicmarc machines. This is born from his personal experience with many different machines over may years. He puts the performance of the machines down to their thoughtful design and the absolute adherece to the highest possible standards of engineering and attention to detail in the finishing through the quality control program.

Should anyone doubt the quality and worth of the blue machines, then I suggest they get in touch with Claude through these froms.

Good luck to all Vicmarc owners!! :2tsup::2tsup:

skot
2nd January 2009, 09:11 AM
I waited about 3 years from when I decided I might try turning to getting my lathe. During that time I went to nearly every Wood Show, Carbetec & Gregories Machinery and looked at the lathes on offer even considered the Nova 3000 XP.

I kept on being drawn to the Vicmarc VL175 for its construction and performance and I might say rather shallowly...it's look. The thing that stopped my was the price. So I held off until I was able to get the one 2nd hand that you saw in my recent post.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86585

I know that people will have their favourite lathe for many reasons and that's what makes the world go round, but as a lathe for doing spindle work and medium bowls or platters, I think my VL175 will suit me fine.

The finish and engineering are fantastic. I kept on hearing about cheaper chinese lathes that forumites have bought and someone mentioned on one occasion that the drive and end stock centres misaligned by 1-2mm. When I got the VL175 it was the first thing I checked...they lined up perfectly as they should.

I have it on the concrete floor of my shed and due to it's mass there is no vibration and I haven't had to anchor it down...mind you a large out of balance chunk of timber may test that when I grt game enough to throw one on.

All & all I'm glad I waited and swooped on this one when I had the chance.

Fredo
2nd January 2009, 09:16 AM
artme,
I can only agree, I have three Vicmarc Lathes. My VL300 Longbed is around ten years old now and has been totally trouble free, considering it does some heavy duty turning at times. The headstock bearings are original and have not been touched, maintenance is an occasional clean down and a quick safety check before it's used.
From my personal experience I would recommend these lathes to anyone (I have no connection with Vicmarc) other than being a happy customer.

Fredo :U

skot
2nd January 2009, 10:19 AM
artme,

The great thing for you and I is that their factory is literally in our backyard.

I went for a drive up to Clontarf and picked up a Forward/Reverse Switch from them as my lathe didn't have one. I spoke to the owner and he said if I had any problems fitting the switch, just let them know.The blokes in the workshop has the wires on the F/R switch labeled so that I knew which wire to connect to which Controleer terminal. I did get stuck as I had to reprogramme the controller to allow reverse direction and the workshop manager at Vicmarc was more than helpful in sorting it out. Only took 1 email and I was off and running.

One day if I win a bit of money in lotto I might take another drive up there and spend a morning going.........I'll take 1 of them and 1 of them...no no...give me 2 of those.......

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2009, 12:58 PM
I have a VL300SB-EVS & I am very happy with it. :2tsup:

ss_11000
2nd January 2009, 02:26 PM
i wish i had a vicmarc :( ...one day:rolleyes:

ydna001
2nd January 2009, 08:58 PM
I too have a Vicmarc VL 300 SHORT BED. I expect I will still have it 10 years time and still be very happy with it. Its done some very heavy duty turning without any problems.

GC
2nd January 2009, 10:19 PM
One day, when I grow up............................. I wish a VL175....

GC

hughie
2nd January 2009, 10:32 PM
I have an apprentice Vicmarc.........MC1100 :U

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2009, 11:01 PM
I have an apprentice Vicmarc.........MC1100 :U

But you have the (almost finished) stubby clone!
It would be interesting to know what Claude ( La Truciolara) thinks of the stubby!

Ed Reiss
3rd January 2009, 12:37 AM
Art...didn't the cruise ship have a "shed" aboard for turners?

new_guy90
3rd January 2009, 03:25 PM
i want a VL175 hopefully in a few years the temptation will be to much and ill give up trying to buy a house and a car oh and the girlfriend .........but it will be worth it :U ..........maybe not :(

Patrick

Tankstand
11th January 2009, 08:17 PM
Just watched a video at the Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/77-david-marks-shop-tour/) where David Marks uses 10 Vicmarcs in his shop for teaching. They look like VL175's but with a horrid re badge paint job!

One day I'll spash out on one!:D:2tsup::oo:

artme
11th January 2009, 08:28 PM
Art...didn't the cruise ship have a "shed" aboard for turners?

No! Dammit,dammit, dammit!! :C:C:((

artme
11th January 2009, 11:37 PM
Carba_Tec used to sell Beaver lathes. I was toldthat they were a Vicmarc design lathe made in Taiwan.

skot
12th January 2009, 07:57 AM
So he was FIBBING when he said they were made in Australia. Also when I looked at that lathe in that clip I don't think they have as long a bed as the genuine VL175...mine looks longer than that...musn't brag....and I was talking about the lathe.

Ed Reiss
12th January 2009, 01:02 PM
No! Dammit,dammit, dammit!! :C:C:((

Bummer!!!