PDA

View Full Version : What finish is safe for fruit bowls etc

munruben
3rd January 2009, 08:59 PM
What finish can I put on a bowl or platter that is going to come into contact with fruit or nuts etc. Safe to use so as not to poison anyone.

steck
3rd January 2009, 09:25 PM
Hi John,
I mainly use UBeaut Shellawax. It gives a great finish and it's food safe.
I have been told that Macadamia oil is a good one but I haven't used it myself

woodwork wally
3rd January 2009, 10:21 PM
Hi John go to Neils site for all his UBEAUT products and you can download the various products and suitabilities I have used EEE followed by shellawax and also EEE followed by SHITHOT wax and also used GLO stick and I find this is the harder finish .Any quality wax from bee hives is excellant and this can be burnished on but for ease of use go with UBEAUT Follow instructions . No one sick in our household from Ubeaut products Chers for now WW.Wally

woodwork wally
3rd January 2009, 10:29 PM
John that should have read SHITHOT wax stick and also Glo Cheers Wal

munruben
4th January 2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys. appreciated.:2tsup:

OGYT
4th January 2009, 01:43 PM
John, I've found that if you can heat a mixture of Mineral Oil and Beeswax, it will absorb a lot more of it into the wood. I've got some walnut bowls we use here at home with that sort of finish, and it last's pretty well. Easy to replenish if necessary, too.
I've been heating my spreaders that I've started making recently, and applying the oil/beeswax to, and so far, so good. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Even a good Danish Oil should be OK for fruit/nuts.

I tend to avoid it for bowls that're to be used for foods like dressed salads, etc. although I'm not sure why... properly cured it should be non-toxic. For them, I use Mineral Oil.

Perhaps I'm just being over-cautious. :shrug:

I've also been meaning to try Sunflower Oil - heard good things about it - but haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

Ashore
4th January 2009, 02:20 PM
I use organoil ( hard burnishing ) on stuff coming in contact with food :2tsup:

Kev Y.
4th January 2009, 02:38 PM
I have often used Grapeseed oil from the supermarket.

So far I have used it on chopping boards and on rolling pins