PDA

View Full Version : Apricot wood Bowl

orificiam
5th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone this bowl was turned from a apricot tree branch at a crotch where 4 branches joined "first photo". The start of the turning was a bit :oo: but once under way
it worked out pretty good. I must admit at being surprised at the beautiful colour hiden under the bark.anyway I made a lid for it from different wood "not very happy with looks of it" I think I'll use it "the lid" as a boomerang and see if it comes back,hope not.
what do you think? Coments welcome.
Cheers Tony.:)

Chipman
5th January 2009, 10:15 PM
Nice bowl:2tsup:

I love apricot wood. I scored some but by the time I got it, it was all badly split. I will probably use it for pen turning if I ever give in to that obsession:D and swambo says she likes pens so it looks like it might get used!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work orificiam

Chipman

powderpost
5th January 2009, 10:17 PM
Beautiful piece of timber, nice shape for a bowl. Now throw the lid away.
Jim

dai sensei
5th January 2009, 10:23 PM
Beautiful piece of timber, nice shape for a bowl. Now throw the lid away.
Jim

:iagree:

You could always return the lip and turn it into a pot pourii bowl.

ps hope the bark stays on for you

GC
5th January 2009, 10:54 PM
Nice work,

You gotta love something that most people would throw away!

GC

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th January 2009, 11:12 PM
Lovely piece of wood, nice treatment of the bowl too!

I see nothing wrong with that lid except... it doesn't look finished. 'Tis missing something. like... hmmm... a tall finial made from a darker wood?

Maybe not something as fragile as Cindy Drozda's, (http://www.cindydrozda.com/) but along similar lines. It's amazing what a difference such a small thing can make. :)

Woodwould
5th January 2009, 11:14 PM
That's a beautiful piece of wood. I'm highly envious! Nice bowl too! :2tsup:

joe greiner
6th January 2009, 12:15 AM
Top notch effort and results, Tony.:2tsup:

I'd also considered tossing the lid, but the rim would look lonely without it. I second Skew's motion of adding a finial. Make the finial, with a hair oversize tenon, before drilling the lid; then sand to "exact" size of the drill.

Joe

Ed Reiss
6th January 2009, 01:01 AM
I dunno'....kinda' like it with the lid. Sort of breaks up the "busy" pattern of the apricot.

Good work Tony!:2tsup:

artme
6th January 2009, 06:42 AM
:o:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The Bleeder
6th January 2009, 08:25 AM
Love the bowl.

The lid

I think I'll use it "the lid" as a boomerang and see if it comes back

it's called a 'stick' when it doesn't come back.

Rum Pig
6th January 2009, 08:39 AM
WOW:o that is a nice piece of timber.
I would agree with Skew's comment with the lid a nice piece of ebony would be the trick.

new_guy90
6th January 2009, 11:36 AM
i third that a nice final would be cool and not to hard :2tsup: or the pot pourii bowl anyway its a nice bit of timber thanks for showing

Patrick

orificiam
6th January 2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone for you positive coments .This forum is a great place for problem solving. I've taken Skew's sugestion on board and turned a finial from a piece of left over apricot wood. I think I can live with it now :) most important SWMBO loves it.
Here's the finished Bowl.Thanks again.
Cheers Tony.:U

Chipman
6th January 2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Tony,

You have done a good job of the finial and no doubt it will please the purists:2tsup:

I am not really a fan of finials, I would more than likely have just turned up a cute little knob or handle out of the apricot....:rolleyes:

Just goes to show you you can't please everyone:D

So just make stuff the way you like it or SWMBO likes it:2tsup:

Regards,

Chipman

orificiam
6th January 2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks Chipman --by the way I love your Chees Platter.beautiful design and choise of wood.
Cheers Tony.

hughie
6th January 2009, 05:12 PM
piece of left over apricot wood. I think I can live with it now :) most important SWMBO loves it.

Well under these circumstances there is nothing to be said :U
<iframe style="border: 2px inset ; 54 25" tabindex="1" id="vB_Editor_001_iframe"></iframe>

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2009, 07:16 PM
:2tsup: