PDA

View Full Version : First cheese platter... Help please

Chipman
5th January 2009, 10:23 PM
I am working on a cheese bowl/platter... uncertain of the timber...looks a bit like english oak but doesn't smell like it. Pretty certain it is American (white) Oak now. The chopping board is end-grain blackwood.

My problem.... I am up to the finishing stage but am totally confused.:D

What do I use for a finish.... it seems there are so many different opinions. I assume it should be some sort of wax/oil (polyurethane is good but too hard to repair)

So

1. What do I finish the chopping board disk with?

2. Do I finish the platter with the same or different.

(I have already used eee ultrashine on the platter)

Thanks for the help in anticipation,

Chipman

tea lady
6th January 2009, 12:40 AM
For the chopping board I think Paraffin oil from the chemist has been recommended in the past. Or nothing. Or I have used Eco Wood wipe from Bunnies. It is a food safe finish. Smells like orange for a while till it dries. I think Organoil Hard burnishing oil is food safe too. You don't have to burnish it if you don't want to.

I think the platter would be alright just finished with EEE and Shellewax. If you want to oil the plater you might have to remove the EEE. It doesn't seem to let the oil in. (I think.)

That just what I'd do though.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2009, 07:15 AM
:wss:

Rum Pig
6th January 2009, 08:26 AM
When I do my cheese platers I use Shallawax but I do use ceramic tiles instead of wooden chopping boards. Apart from that I think TL said it all.:)

Oh nearly forgot Nice looking plater I do like the effect of the chopping board :2tsup::2tsup:

Chipman
6th January 2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the advice so far:2tsup:

Looks like I will do the platter with shellawax (that makes me happy... nice and easy to use and gives an excellent result)

I will track down some mineral oil to do the chopping board part.

Thanks,

Chipman

Chipman
6th January 2009, 08:38 AM
When I do my cheese platers I use Shallawax but I do use ceramic tiles instead of wooden chopping boards. Apart from that I think TL said it all.:)

Oh nearly forgot Nice looking plater I do like the effect of the chopping board :2tsup::2tsup:

RP, how do you maintain or keep the shellawax finish looking good long term?

Do you just give it a wipe over with oil every month or so or do you use a wax?

Thanks,

Chipman

Rum Pig
6th January 2009, 08:48 AM
I have never had one of these cheese platers for more than a few days before SWMBO give it away:(( but with the bowls that I have kept finished in Shallawax, the wax seems to last a long time. The only bowl I have had to touch up is the one SWMBO uses to serve chips in (I think the salt effects the wax) I just give it a quick wipe over with more Shallawax and seems ok :).
I have not been turning all that long so maybe some of the long time turners might have a better idea

Ozkaban
6th January 2009, 09:27 AM
I really like your design. I have cheese platters at home (not wooden turned ones though) that don't hold crackers well (too flat), so this is great. I also like the end grain chopping board. It looks fantastic together.

cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2009, 10:39 AM
I'd also meant to say that I liked the cutting-board in the middle; like Rum Pig I use tiles and the wood makes for a nice touch. But I got carried away with "keeping it short." :-

RP, how do you maintain or keep the shellawax finish looking good long term?

Do you just give it a wipe over with oil every month or so or do you use a wax?

Shellawax and oils don't mix. :no: No more than shellac and oils do. (Funny, that! :wink:) Shellawax isn't my idea of the best finish for a cutting board, but if/when it does need a touch-up then Shellawax Cream is the go, as it can be applied by simple hand-buffing. (ref: "on flat surfaces" in the ol' U-Beaut homepage. (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/cream.html))

Chipman
6th January 2009, 12:46 PM
I'd also meant to say that I liked the cutting-board in the middle; like Rum Pig I use tiles and the wood makes for a nice touch. But I got carried away with "keeping it short." :-

Shellawax and oils don't mix. :no: No more than shellac and oils do. (Funny, that! :wink:) Shellawax isn't my idea of the best finish for a cutting board, but if/when it does need a touch-up then Shellawax Cream is the go, as it can be applied by simple hand-buffing. (ref: "on flat surfaces" in the ol' U-Beaut homepage. (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/cream.html))

Thanks Skew,

I actually tried hand buffing shellawax cream on a red box natural edge bowl and was very pleased with the results. (Thanks Mr UBEAUT)

Yes, I decided to move away from using a tile... you have to have the right style of house for that... ie a "country kitchen" and then they look really great. So I thought I would try the all wood approach and I like the blackwood chopping boards. As it is for my SIL, it had to be all wood as that is what she likes.

Another idea I had was to try and track down a granite tile...it tends to look more natural IMO.

Regards,

Chipman

bowl-basher
6th January 2009, 01:18 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:love your look.. the chopping board looks super
:Dconsider it copied..:D........
Bowl Basher

bowl-basher
6th January 2009, 01:26 PM
Carbatech sydney has cranit tiles 6" dia

Rookie
6th January 2009, 01:27 PM
Likewise. One question though. Is the cutting board fixed (glued) into the platter, or is it just sitting in there and can be removed for cleaning?

Rum Pig
6th January 2009, 01:50 PM
Likewise. One question though. Is the cutting board fixed (glued) into the platter, or is it just sitting in there and can be removed for cleaning?
I use silicone on my tiles this allows moment and stops water getting under the tile.

Chipman
6th January 2009, 02:08 PM

In my design, the wooden cutting board is removable. My idea is that you can take the board out and use it as a "dip and chips" platter by putting your dip bowl in the recess where the chopping board is. (Always looking at making things multi functional) If it were glass or a tile, I reckon I would be using silicon.

I will post a picture when finished. Just came in from using shellawax on on the platter. Tea Lady and others suggested that once I used eee ultrashine, oiling would more than likely not work. Now it is off to oil the chopping board

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
6th January 2009, 02:11 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:love your look.. the chopping board looks super
:Dconsider it copied..:D........
Bowl Basher
.... that is what this forum is all about...sharing ideas!

Only request, when you finish, post a picture of yours:2tsup:

If it helps, the platter is 270 mm dia (My lathe is a woodfast mini) and the blank was originally 45 mm thick. The choping board is 120mm dia by 12mm thick.

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
6th January 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks to all those who offered advice.

Platter finished with shellawax, chopping board oiled with hard burnishing oil... will need to buff it again in a couple of days time.

You will notice that the chopping board can be removed for cleaning and the recess has been well finished so that it can double as a "dip and chips" platter.

Regards,

Chipman

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2009, 07:23 PM
It has come up a treat!

What's the betting you'll start hearing hints about making more of 'em? :wink:

Chipman
6th January 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Skew and I appreciated your advice, You also helped me out when I was working with red mallee burl:2tsup::2tsup:

Regards
Graham (aka Chipman)

Ozkaban
6th January 2009, 07:39 PM
That looks fantastic with the finish. Well Done!

I showed it to my wife and I have an official order... now I've just got to get good enough!

Cheers,
Dave

Chipman
6th January 2009, 07:47 PM
You can do it!

If you don't have the time or inclination to make the chopping board part, you can always buy a small one and cut it to make the circle. They are often sold at craft markets.

Cheers,

Chipman

Ozkaban
6th January 2009, 08:31 PM
You can do it!

If you don't have the time or inclination to make the chopping board part, you can always buy a small one and cut it to make the circle. They are often sold at craft markets.

Cheers,

Chipman

nah - I've always wanted to do an end grain board, and that looks like just the ticket to do it. I've still got 90% of a batch of reject floor boards (from Studley's sales) and I've been saving all of the reddish offcuts to do something like this...

Cheers,
Dave

Rookie
6th January 2009, 09:04 PM
In my design, the wooden cutting board is removable. My idea is that you can take the board out and use it as a "dip and chips" platter by putting your dip bowl in the recess where the chopping board is. (Always looking at making things multi functional)

Me too. And we do a lot of dips, chips and biscuits with my family of freeloaders. :U

Thanks for that. The "Chipman Bowl" is next on my list.... and I will post a photio.

woodwork wally
6th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice so far:2tsup:

Looks like I will do the platter with shellawax (that makes me happy... nice and easy to use and gives an excellent result)

I will track down some mineral oil to do the chopping board part.

Thanks,

Chipman
Hi
Not mineral oil :no: Use veg oil:2tsup: olive oil :2tsup:or other cooking type oils:2tsup: as these are food safe :D
the other option is beeswax[Shithot wax an alternative ] burnished in:2tsup: as this can be topped up or refinished as required and is food safe:U:U Cheers for now Chippy WW.Wally

Sawdust Maker
6th January 2009, 09:35 PM
good looking platter, cheese board etc
quite like the idea and the execution looks excellent
the timber looks like american oak to me (not that I'm any sort of expert)

powderpost
6th January 2009, 09:41 PM
Nice bowl. I have used walnut oil on bread boards and salad bowls for many years. One recipient that I know of, has a son that has an allergy to peanut oil, there has been no reaction from him. His mother re-applies the oil when the board gets a bit tatty. It is also quite nice to lick one's fingers when the job is finished.
Jim

Chipman
6th January 2009, 09:53 PM
good looking platter, cheese board etc
quite like the idea and the execution looks excellent
the timber looks like american oak to me (not that I'm any sort of expert)

Thanks... Yes I am pretty sure now it is american oak too... let google be your friend!!!!!

Cheers,
Chipman

Hardenfast
6th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Nice concept CM, and well finished. Another project for the "must try" list. I'll bet they would be well received by any recipient.

Please consider your copyright on this item to be now "shareware".

Wayne

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2009, 10:09 PM
Not mineral oil :no: Use veg oil:2tsup: olive oil :2tsup:or other cooking type oils:2tsup: as these are food safe :D

Mineral Oil is food-safe, WW. :) AFAIK it's main medicinal use nowadays is as a laxative for kids, and it's also the main constituent for Baby Oil.

You need to be very, very careful of which vegetable oils you use, as they're food-safe when fresh but they go rancid! Not good. :no: And, as has been mentioned, people can have allergic reactions to some vege oils.

Chipman
7th January 2009, 10:57 PM
I turned up a small bowl to go with the platter.... now it can be used for sweets/nuts etc.

Not sure of the timber, dumpster dive but it turns so easily...must find out what it is... be good to use at school.

Cheers,

Chipman

Rum Pig
8th January 2009, 09:02 AM
Nice :2tsup:

The platter that just keep changing:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2009, 09:13 AM
So where's the tiered lazy-susan module? :D

Chipman
8th January 2009, 09:22 AM
So where's the tiered lazy-susan module? :D

Actually the centre spins really well since it was oiled:D

I might leave the platter and move on to a tiered cup cake stand.

regards,

Chipman

OGYT
8th January 2009, 01:02 PM
Every bit of it... it's all awesome! Who cares what timber? Gorgeous work! :)

artme
8th January 2009, 07:55 PM
Love it! grand work sire!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
9th January 2009, 12:42 AM
Mineral Oil is food-safe, WW. :) AFAIK it's main medicinal use nowadays is as a laxative for kids, and it's also the main constituent for Baby Oil.

You need to be very, very careful of which vegetable oils you use, as they're food-safe when fresh but they go rancid! Not good. :no: And, as has been mentioned, people can have allergic reactions to some vege oils.

I'm with Tea Lady and Skew on this one, and in case the third umpire is needed, Mr U-Beaut himself recommends Mineral Oil (called Paraffin in Australia) or raw wood for surfaces in contact with food.

Fauldings put out a pharmacy grade paraffin that is available in the medical area of most supermarkets, as well as chemists.

Neil