PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Cuttig Jig

Big_B
7th January 2009, 02:17 PM
I have been looking at a vermec sphere cutting jig. Would be interested in what people think of it. and if anyone has 1 for sale.

Big_B

artme
7th January 2009, 03:50 PM
I've seen Several of that type of jig in action and all have been variatios on a theme, They are effective. The advantage with the vermec is that it is so well made. Frommemory I think it has a fairly limited diameter ball that can be turned.

Jim Carroll
7th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Have used one and it is helpfull for doing ball tops on capitols or just doing balls.

Need to do a few to make up for the expense.

They can be varied from 10mm -150mm or larger depending on the diameter of your lathe.

As indicated Enzo makes a fine peice of equipement.

If you buy one second hand it needs to be the same centre height and same gap in the bed or it wont fit properly as it has locating rings in the base to make sure it turns through the centre properly. Dont want to turn oval balls.

Sawdust Maker
7th January 2009, 07:36 PM

If you buy one second hand it needs to be the same centre height and same gap in the bed or it wont fit properly as it has locating rings in the base to make sure it turns through the centre properly. Dont want to turn oval balls.

Aren't oval balls ... eggs?:D

DJ’s Timber
7th January 2009, 07:51 PM
Have one of Enzo's sphere jigs and it works very well, am very happy with mine and no sorry its not for sale :no:

Here is a small job (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=817847#post817847) I did with mine last October