PDA

View Full Version : New to Turning

Vasco
8th May 2004, 08:15 PM
Help wanted,
I have just bought a lathe and not having done any lathe work for 20 years and even then it was only playing around I thought I would start by doing some pens.
I have a pen mandrel and all the pen parts. To start off with I bought some pen turning blanks which have the holes pre drilled, the thing is that they are not cut square on the ends and are longer than the brass tubes that come with the pens.
Question: should I cut the blanks square and to the same length as the brass tubes before turning or do I do that after or what do I do?

Regards Vasco

Sprog
8th May 2004, 10:54 PM
Help wanted,

Question: should I cut the blanks square and to the same length as the brass tubes before turning or do I do that after or what do I do?

Regards Vasco

Glue in the tubes then cut them square and to length before turning.

You can get a Pen Mill to aid with the squaring off though not absolutely necessary.

Link to Pen Mill (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12600&parentid=12490&prodid=28614)

gatiep
8th May 2004, 11:01 PM
Vasco,
Cut the blanks in half, marking both halves so that you can keep both cut ends facing each other when you turn them
Next glue the tubes in. Cut the longer end where the tube is deep inside off. ( It helps to mark the tube length plus about 3mm on the outside before gluing them in).
Next square off the ends flush with the tubes, preferably with a pen endmill, or you can have a go doing it on a disc sander.
Next put your blocks on your mandrel with the cut ends facing each other and with one of the bushess inbetween. Facing the blocks to each other gives a nice line up of the grain.
Then its a matter of turning the pen, finishing with HUT wax or Shellawax and assembling.
Enjoy
Cya
Joe

Vasco
9th May 2004, 03:13 AM
Sprog and Gatiep,
thank you for the info. I will give it a try tomorrow. I do have a pen mill so I should be right with the squaring off of the blanks.
Once again thank you, your help is much apprieciated.
Regards Vasco