PDA

View Full Version : Help on Decorating Bowls

SeanS
9th May 2004, 12:19 AM
Hi all. Firstly to the moderators, fantastic site! I am working offshore on nightshift with nothing to do. Discovered this a couple of nights back and have been busy trawling through posts ever since!

To my question. I am an amateur turner, and have progressed to the stage where I am happy with the bowls and hollow forms I can turn. I am wanting to start adding to the wood, with either solid inlay or paint. I have seen bowls where there are abstract lines or patterns that have been inlaid (with gold leaf, different woods etc), or some where there have been designs in paint. I am guessing the turners have used a dremel or some similar tool to remove the waste, and then "filled in the blank". I am hoping someone can point me to a site that shows this in more detail, or just offer advice.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

nine fingers
9th May 2004, 02:14 PM
Sean,
Not decorating a bowl ,but this might give you some ideas.I turned a redgum platter about 420mm diam,it looked a bit plain so I cut a shallow groove about 12mm wide and 3mm deep ,about 25mm in from the edge.
I filled this with black epoxy and then sprinkled aluminium (shavings from drilling holes) over the black while still fluid.Let this dry for a couple of days ,then sanded down and buffed.Note I removed the platter from the lathe with the chuck attached to fill the groove with epoxy, to make sure the balance was true on returning to the lathe.

SeanS
9th May 2004, 09:12 PM
Ahh, I see. Very creative! The more I look around and think about things, the more ways I see of adding your own touchs to wood. Now I just need to spend more time in front of the lathe!

Thanks,

Sean