PDA

View Full Version : Yellow log (from Timber Forum)

RETIRED
22nd January 2001, 10:27 PM
oges
Full Member posted 18 January 2001 01:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reminds me of a big old dead tree is saw down Canberra way last time I was there, someone went to the trouble of painting the whole thing yellow...
Brett

IP: Logged

AlexS
Full Member posted 19 January 2001 07:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those yellow-painted dead trees are scattered around the place. Does anyone know the story behind them?

doorstop
Full Member posted 19 January 2001 09:55 AM
Dunno about yella trees but we have a very common species over here , Eucalyptus whitepostii , which grows at regular intervals along roadsides, there is also a very similar species called Pinus Reflectorum. Very common but easily harvested !
------------------
keep smiling , it has probably already happened anyway !

Iain
Full Member posted 19 January 2001 11:46 AM
Up in Mt Beauty someone has a property on the side of the main road full of dead apple trees painted blue. Probably waiting for Stoppers (Arborworkus Gullibullus, I think not!) to come up so he will buy it as Blue Gum.
Just waiting for the hirstute one to reply now.

oges
Full Member posted 19 January 2001 12:08 PM
good one Doorstop, dont forget about the noxious weed Radarus Cop Pestius is a species also found along roadsides but isnt a real popular species
Alex I believe story involves Blokes, Alcohol and them having too much time on their hand.

Bob, sorry about changing topic on your post.

Brett

[This message has been edited by oges (edited 19 January 2001).]

Administrator posted 19 January 2001 12:36 PM
Eucalyptus whitepostii have been replaced in most parts of Vic with Plasticus snapgroundus reflecti. The species is pretty useless, does not machine well, has no structural strength and only come in 900MM lengths when snapped at the ground. Another 300-450 MM in length can be obtained if carefully dug out.
------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 19 January 2001).]

ubeaut
Administrator posted 19 January 2001 01:14 PM
Buggars of things to nail Swap Meet signs onto.

Rod
Full Member posted 19 January 2001 03:03 PM
Here in Tassie Plasticus snapgroundus reflecti has two distinct varieties. Plasticus snapgroundus reflecti verticulus is becoming very rare. By far the most common variety is Plasticus snapgroundus reflecti horizontalus. It is rumoured that verticulus will become a protected species and all young male drivers will be ordered to keep atleast 100 metres distance at all times and 200 metres on Saturday nights.

Iain
Full Member posted 20 January 2001 06:53 AM
In the high country of Vic where the roads are rough there are also several species of very large mushroom that flourish along the road side, hubcappus vulgaris, there are several species.

lynette
27th January 2001, 09:34 AM
Bob, I know what you are talking about, you are not mad unless we both are of course.
Husband cut down a dead tree a few years ago
I could'nt beleive my eyes bright yellow sawdust flew everywhere. It took me 2 yrs of nagging to get whimpy husband down the mountain with a tractor to snig it out, allas
all that was left was a memory, broke my heart. I then broke my husband.
I have been told by an old time forestry
worker that they are rarely seen now
His name for it was yellow wood.

Iain
28th January 2001, 07:15 PM
Welcome aboard Lynette and please don't insult our memebers, madness is a prerequisite to gain a place here http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif .
Now....yellow wood, really havn't got a clue what it is!

Marty Lott
28th January 2001, 08:01 PM
Yellow Painted Trees....mystery solved...Landcare goes about the place doing it, sure looks prettier than boring old grey trees !

oges
29th January 2001, 06:46 PM
Landcare??

So painting a tree yellow makes the land feel better? I guess the land feels a failure if one of the trees die, and having a rare 'yellow wood' tree to support help it feel better.

Brett

JackoH
30th January 2001, 11:19 AM
Let's get a little bit serious !

Yellow Wood?. Osage Orange (Maclura spp.family : moracea)

John H.

Iain
30th January 2001, 11:36 AM
I didn't think Ossage Orange was bright yellow, more like wattle before polishing and the stuff I have is more of a green/gold colour.

JackoH
2nd February 2001, 11:24 AM
Green and gold? Still sounds like O.Orange.
John H.