PDA

View Full Version : Not very round lidded box.....

Ray153
15th January 2009, 09:52 PM
Base is English Walnut and lid is Huon Pine. I have never turned English Walnut before and can't wait to turn more. It polished up so well, can well understand why it is a premium timber. The lid I had planned to be slightly thinner but as you can see, there are two cracks, one of which looked like it could have ended up terminal.

Dimensions are 200x160x120.

I wanted to get away from the traditional turned shapes and as I had to trim less than 2-3mm off the walnut block to get it perfectly square on all side faces, it seemed criminal to turn away corners to make a traditional bowl/box etc.

Finished by sanding to 600 then micro mesh to 3400 grit then 3 doses of DO and waxed with as seen in pics.

tea lady
15th January 2009, 11:48 PM
:cool: Yes, walnut is loverly stuff. Smells nice too. Kinda spicy. Looks like a block of chocolate when finished. I like your box idea. The square against the round. :2tsup:And the contrasting colours of the woods.:cool:

Ed Reiss
16th January 2009, 02:59 AM
Nicely done Ray:2tsup:

Hardenfast
16th January 2009, 08:01 AM
Very nice indeed Ray. I like these pieces which combine some turning and conventional woodworking disciplines. I'm intrigued by your use of the mesh (up to 3400) after using 600 sand paper. Do you think the mesh finished difference is discernable after 3 coats of DO and a wax coating? I would have thought a 600 sanded finish would be quite acceptable, but maybe I'm a bit rough.

Wayne

new_guy90
16th January 2009, 11:23 AM
wow thats nice and looks really big :oo:

well done :2tsup:

Patrick

orificiam
16th January 2009, 04:43 PM
Wowwww Ray :2tsup: that is a very nice Box.love the colour in the Walnut.
I agree with Wayne on the 600 finish. but Hey it's your box!
Cheers Tony.:)

artme
16th January 2009, 05:55 PM
Agree with your sentiments on the design Ray. Great looking boks.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ray153
16th January 2009, 09:31 PM
Very nice indeed Ray. I like these pieces which combine some turning and conventional woodworking disciplines. I'm intrigued by your use of the mesh (up to 3400) after using 600 sand paper. Do you think the mesh finished difference is discernable after 3 coats of DO and a wax coating? I would have thought a 600 sanded finish would be quite acceptable, but maybe I'm a bit rough.

Wayne

I have no idea if it made much, if any, difference going to the 3400 micro mesh. I didn't really look at the piece as it progressed with a view to making a comparision between after the paper stage to after micro mesh. I only went to the micro mesh stage because it was such a beautiful piece of walnut and even though the pics don't show it, you can read the back label printing on the wax container in the reflection of both pieces.

Others may well be better informed on this topic of "when is enough sanding too much and isn't improving the finish" than I and I am sure that someone, somewhere will have done a comparison study in one or other of the magazines. My view and opinion on it is this and I have no evidence to support this but I take the view that sandpaper cuts and micromesh burnishes.

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 09:12 AM
Lovely work
nice simple lines
great contrast in the woods and the design
top marks :2tsup:

Re using the micromesh, I can definitely see and feel a difference when I do (timber) pens but I tend to finish with about 1000 or 1200 wet n dry on my bowls, some might even say that is too fine