PDA

View Full Version : The Flu

Dean
11th May 2004, 09:12 PM
After 3 years of hard work, I decided to take a month holiday to relax and regenerate... and of course, on my last day, the computer crashed 3 times forcing me to work the weekend to catch up. then on first day of holiday, what do I get? The bloody flu!
I think someone was trying to tell me not to take a holiday :(

Barry_White
11th May 2004, 10:51 PM
I am 65 years old and my doctor keeps telling me I should have flue shots. It is nearly 30 years since I have had the flu and 3 years since I have had a cold. I take a high regemin of vitamins and minerals and eat very little processed food.

I think if I have flu shots I may make myself open to getting it so I voted no.

bitingmidge
11th May 2004, 11:03 PM
I used to travel throughout Asia and the Pacific Rim for a living. Caught one of those nasty Hong Kong type 'flu's in '92 (was severely bedridden on my 40th Birthday!)...I caught it in Brisbane via a friend whose brother died of complications caused by it.

Two years ago, contracted another version while visiting the UK, spent six days unable to walk and thinking of the outcome experienced by friend's brother. Changed my mind about vaccination!

I have probably had my share of serious 'flu's, but figure if a little jab will help, then it's for me!!

P

Driver
11th May 2004, 11:19 PM
I used to get a "cold" every year that lasted about three weeks. For the last three years I've been getting an annual flu shot and haven't had a recurrence.

Works for me!

Col

oges
12th May 2004, 09:56 AM
Been told by my doc that i have to get flu and pneumonia shots due to me getting pneumonia last year. There are atleast 4 managers here at work who recently got flu shots and a few days later came down with the flu and needed a week off work....

craigb
12th May 2004, 10:32 AM
I'm lucky in that my employer provides a flu vacination every year gratis.

I've had one every year for the last three years and haven't even had so much as a cold (knock wood).

gatiep
12th May 2004, 11:25 AM
Brett

Very interresting about the guys getting the 'flu' after the injection. The vaccine cannot give anybody the real flu because it is a dead virus vaccine. It can give 'flulike' symptoms, similar to the reactions from most vaccines, but definately not real flu. Most people don't know the difference between flu and a cold. The vaccine does not prevent the common cold.
Regards
Joe

Frenchie
12th May 2004, 12:23 PM
It is amazing now that a simple "cold" can often be reported as a bout of the flu. :confused: Anyone who truly experiences a bad case on influenza will no doubt be keen to try the vaccine and hope that this will ward any chance of facing another round.

I have had the vaccine now for the last three years and only had any reaction on the first year, and that was mainly an elevated temperature and slight headache, nothing like a serious case of the flu. ;)

Eastie
12th May 2004, 12:24 PM
Similar to Craig, my employer made the decision to make it available to our staff as last year it went through our office with lethal results :(

silentC
12th May 2004, 01:34 PM
I seem to suffer a lot less from these types of things since I left the big smoke and the air-conditioned offices, public transport etc. When I lived in Sydney, I would get a 1-to-2-days-off-work flu (or cold) at least once a year. I haven't had a sicky in over a year. Maybe it's all the wood I've been touching lately. Or maybe it's the sawdust.

ozwinner
12th May 2004, 10:29 PM
Never had a flue shot.

I worry about where they are going to shove the flue.................:eek:

Flueless in Whittlesea.

Driver
12th May 2004, 10:40 PM
Never had a flue shot.

Al

Being a brickie you probably don't need flu shots anyway. Years ago, when I spent most of my working life outdoors on building sites, I never suffered from flu or colds. Darren (SilentC) has a good point about air-conditioned offices and public transport.

Mind you, I reckon a lot of it has to do with mental attitude, too. I can't believe the number of young people who seem quite willing to take a couple of days off work whenever they have a fall of soot. The last time I had any sick leave was in 1981 when I was laid low with a bout of malaria.:mad:

(Jeez, I've just re-read that last bit - I'm beginning to sound like my dad! Well, what the hell - he was right, too - most of the time). :)

Col

Caliban
12th May 2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Guys
Very interesting reading your anecdotes.
Last year she who knows everything decided to get the flu shot.
Never seen her so sick , was unwell for most of the winter.
At least it gave me a reason to be smug for a while. She did not get one this year.
cheers
Jim

Zed
14th May 2004, 12:07 PM
I dont get sick - something bites and me it dies. I prefer it that way... you see in croatia.... (where I was born).... we couldnt afford doctors so only the healthy survived to breed - hence darwinism does work :D :D :D :D :D

Wood Borer
16th May 2004, 12:21 AM
Never had a flue shot.

I worry about where they are going to shove the flue.................:eek:

Flueless in Whittlesea.

Ozwinner - Driver told you in his earlier post "I've been getting an annual flu shot" I am arsuming his typing does not reflect his spelling skills of course!!!

- Wood Borer

Driver
16th May 2004, 12:00 PM
Driver told you in his earlier post "I've been getting an annual flu shot" I am arsuming his typing does not reflect his spelling skills of course!!!

- Wood Borer

Left upper bicep, mate. The typing and the spelling skills are both in good nick.

The last time I had an injection in the "annual" region was for tetanus (also spelt with forensic accuracy :D ) and I swear the nurse who delivered it threw the bloody needle from about six feet away!!

Col

JackoH
19th May 2004, 04:49 PM
Arsuming Woody! I trust there was a pun intended or else the spelling nazis will be paying you visit. :o
And getting an 'annual', teanus shot is also a pun for getting it in the nether regions. I hope!. :mad:
However to be strictly accurate and to really spoil a good story a tetanus shot only needs to be boosted every five years or so and is usually given in the upper arm. :eek: All woodies should ensure that their shots are up to date as we are prone to injure ourselves fairly frequently whilst mucking around with wood, (splinters and the like.) :mad: We all know that tetanus is caused by a soil born bacteria which can sometimes be found on timber, particularly if it is recycled from old buildings and the like. :D

Driver
19th May 2004, 05:29 PM
However to be strictly accurate and to really spoil a good story a tetanus shot only needs to be boosted every five years or so and is usually given in the upper arm. :eek:

I'm sure you're right about the upper arm. However, this particular tetanus shot was delivered about 35 years ago, by a former girlfriend. :( My bad luck that she was on duty in Casualty that evening!

Wood Borer
19th May 2004, 06:37 PM
Well spotted John, yes they were intended puns and no visits from the Spelling Nazis yet but still some of them possibly "keep their calenders" so they may not have seen the pun.

That was another little cryptic pun for you.

Thanks for the reminder about the tetanus shot, I don't recall when I last had one so it must be time.

- Wood Borer

kenmil
21st May 2004, 08:12 PM
Ve are vatching und taking notes ! ;)

Caliban
23rd May 2004, 07:32 PM
Hambly
Was "up to date" another nether region pun? ;)
Driver
Nothing like an ex girlfriend with a needle is there? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Unless it's a wife who's jealous with a needle (but that's a whole different story) I was innocent! :rolleyes:
Ken
When do you vant to compare notes? ;)
All
Ve spelling Nazis do not pick on spelling mistakes that are deliberately funny.
In fact funniness is even moe desirable than correctness.
Right Ken?

Kris.Parker1
6th August 2004, 12:13 AM
Don't require the flu shot, Ross River Fever took care of that!

electricmonk
8th August 2004, 10:14 AM
I have both shots. My lungs are not in very good shape and while I know it sounds like Im moaning (err actually I am) If I get sick I normally get it worse than most. In fact in the last five years I have died in emergency (I got better)and been admitted to hospital three times all from pneumonia. Funnily enough all around August to October.

kiwigeo
9th August 2004, 12:23 AM
Picture this....

Its the middle of winter, you have a raging flu and you feel like death warmed up...you get told you have to head down to Penola SE Sth Australia (=antarctica) and relieve a geologist on a job there. Hes got the flu too but because his flu is "slightly" worse than yours he gets to head home and recuperate.

3 weeks on a crappy land rig outside Penola with the flu. ...cold as hell and its raining sideways every 5 minutes.

That was the last year I went without flushots and the last time I had the flu. I get a few little colds now and then but working on oil rigs with suspect air conditioning systems and with people coming in from all corners of the globe Im doing fairly well.

kiwigeo
9th August 2004, 12:29 AM
I'm sure you're right about the upper arm. However, this particular tetanus shot was delivered about 35 years ago, by a former girlfriend. :( My bad luck that she was on duty in Casualty that evening!
Good god man you never let your partner stick a needle in you.....

Im married to a nurse but she never comes near me even with something as simple as a bandaid. The last time she administered her trade on me was when I asked her to put a bit of hair removing cream on my nether region (dont ask for details)....Im sure she must have stuck the cream in the freezer for a couple of hours beforehand.

beejay1
14th March 2005, 07:01 PM
Two years ago, contracted another version while visiting the UK, spent six days unable to walk
I have probably had my share of serious 'flu's, but figure if a little jab will help, then it's for me!!P
Not possible to catch flue in this country, the virus doesnt stand a chance over here its too bloody cold for it.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif What you experienced is what all UK tradespeople experience annually,,,,holiday fortnight,,, 14 days of booze induced leglessness.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9