PDA

View Full Version : My beginner works

swedenturner
18th January 2009, 08:39 AM
Hello again

Here are some of my beginner works. All are maid of birch and finish is always parafin oil.

Texian
18th January 2009, 09:49 AM
S.T.,
Looks like you are off to a good start. Am not familiar with the term "paraffin oil". Can you explain what it is?

artme
18th January 2009, 10:45 AM
Good work there Swede!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Pat
18th January 2009, 11:42 AM
S.T.,
Looks like you are off to a good start. Am not familiar with the term "paraffin oil". Can you explain what it is?

Paraffin Oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin)

OGYT
18th January 2009, 12:00 PM
I heat one paraffin block in a large mouth fruit jar, over a double boiler (hot plate, pan of H20). When it's all melted, I pour in mineral oil..... when it's cooled off, if it's not the consistency I'm looking for, I'll add more paraffin or oil, and reheat.
It's good for spreaders and other wooden utensils.

Hey, ST. Good start! Looks like your on the way. I like the tops! I need to turn some for my grandkids. Welcome to the forum! :)

Robomanic
18th January 2009, 12:13 PM
I heat one paraffin block in a large mouth fruit jar, over a double boiler (hot plate, pan of H20). When it's all melted, I pour in mineral oil..... when it's cooled off, if it's not the consistency I'm looking for, I'll add more paraffin or oil, and reheat.
It's good for spreaders and other wooden utensils.

Do you still get water spots on the finish or does it stay uniform?

new_guy90
18th January 2009, 12:39 PM
very nice work there well done :2tsup:

lol i use candle wax on my stuff

happy turning

Patrick

Ed Reiss
18th January 2009, 01:08 PM
Your definitely getting the hang of it:2tsup:

Welcome to the forums SwedenTurner

tea lady
18th January 2009, 04:25 PM
Looks tops!:D Runging rings around.........:rolleyes:

Paraffin oil? I thought it was mineral oil. Ern said somewhere that paraffin oil is differant to paraffin wax. :hmm:

swedenturner
18th January 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I saw, that I wrote a little mistake, some of the spinning tops are made of pine. :B Our two cats love the pine spinning tops to play with. They rattle and ping when the cats rap on the tops.
All the questions are answered - I think so.

NeilS
19th January 2009, 05:55 PM
Paraffin oil? I thought it was mineral oil. Ern said somewhere that paraffin oil is different to paraffin wax. :hmm:

Yes TL, paraffin oil in Oz is mineral oil, eg baby oil, and pharmacy grade paraffin oil (Faulding make one) is OK for food containers & implements.

The confusion comes with the Brits who call their kerosene paraffin. Kero is the same as aviation fuel and has that distinctive petroleum smell, not something you would want to apply liberally to your woodturings.

The difference between paraffin oil and paraffin wax is that the wax is a heavier fraction and solid at room temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin

Well I think that clarifies the difference, well at least in my mind again :).

Neil

tea lady
19th January 2009, 09:21 PM
I saw some stuff in Ikea the other day. (I didn't buy anything....Just research!!!!:C ) They were selling Mineral oil, to refinish chopping boards and stuff (I thnk. ). Is that parafin oil or what? :hmm:

swedenturner
20th January 2009, 12:06 AM
I think, that you mean "behandla" (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30057467). It is made from Beeswax, Wax, Linseed oil and Wood oil.
Isn't it?

tea lady
20th January 2009, 12:23 AM
No! :no:

I found it.:cool: Skydd. (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00046786) Says its white mineral oil for food utensils.:)

Hardenfast
20th January 2009, 08:12 AM
Hej Stephan. Hur mar du?

Nice looking collection there. Quite a lot of variation from a "beginner", and nicely turned. Sounds like you need to find a supplier of the great U-Beaut finishes in Sweden.

Wayne.

OGYT
20th January 2009, 11:25 AM
Do you still get water spots on the finish or does it stay uniform?
I don't get any water spots on the finish, that I know of. Her Majesty washes them after each use, and dries them. Is that what you were speaking of?

Robomanic
20th January 2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah the last time I tried straight paraffin wax water drops on it left little dull circles. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the exact conditions though.

Nice work by the way, can really see that you were having a go at anything you could think of. I'm sure it will be a lasting relationship.

NeilS
20th January 2009, 12:33 PM
I saw some stuff in Ikea the other day. (I didn't buy anything....Just research!!!!:C ) They were selling Mineral oil, to refinish chopping boards and stuff (I thnk. ). Is that parafin oil or what? :hmm:

Sounds like paraffin oil/mineral oil to me. If the label indicates that it can be used on wooden chopping boards and other food utensils then I would be confident that it is pharmacy grade and can be safely used on any woodturning that will be in contact with food. Just check to see if it is only mineral oil without any other ingredients.

It's not that other finishes (eg waxes and nut/seed/veg oils) aren't food safe for most people, it's just that a few people are allergic to these. Most of them, other than mineral/paraffin oil, are also nutritious to bacteria and will help them breed up on/inside the wood. There are also rancid smells as some of those other oils age. If you are selling to the public it's safer to avoid these potential issues.

As you know TL, I mainly make bowls and the issue for me is what eventual uses will be made of a bowl once it has left the gallery. I may think of a particular piece as a display bowl and apply a wax finish which I think is best suited to that use, but the end user may decide to use it as a salad bowl. I tend to make my display bowls heavier which is suitable for the purpose and discourages its use as a pass-around food bowl, but I expect that doesn't always work.

I have started to add advice to the info that goes with each piece about dressing it with paraffin oil if it is going to be in contact with food. Just hoping that none of them end up in the UK... :o.

Neil

tea lady
20th January 2009, 10:43 PM
Sounds like paraffin oil/mineral oil to me. If the label indicates that it can be used on wooden chopping boards and other food utensils then I would be confident that it is pharmacy grade and can be safely used on any woodturning that will be in contact with food. Just check to see if it is only mineral oil without any other ingredients.

It's not that other finishes (eg waxes and nut/seed/veg oils) aren't food safe for most people, it's just that a few people are allergic to these. Most of them, other than mineral/paraffin oil, are also nutritious to bacteria and will help them breed up on/inside the wood. There are also rancid smells as some of those other oils age. If you are selling to the public it's safer to avoid these potential issues.

As you know TL, I mainly make bowls and the issue for me is what eventual uses will be made of a bowl once it has left the gallery. I may think of a particular piece as a display bowl and apply a wax finish which I think is best suited to that use, but the end user may decide to use it as a salad bowl. I tend to make my display bowls heavier which is suitable for the purpose and discourages its use as a pass-around food bowl, but I expect that doesn't always work.

I have started to add advice to the info that goes with each piece about dressing it with paraffin oil if it is going to be in contact with food. Just hoping that none of them end up in the UK... :o.

Neil

:2tsup: Thanks Neil. I think that is all clear now.:) With my ceramics I include washing instruction with the piece, and will do the same for the wood pieces. I was thinking of maybe giving a little bottlw of the finish for future re-touches. :shrug: It will prolly gt lost with all those extra bottons one gets with shirts, but would be a nice touch.

Is this a hijack?:C

swedenturner
20th January 2009, 11:00 PM
No! :no:

I found it.:cool: Skydd. (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00046786) Says its white mineral oil for food utensils.:)
I've never seen before. Here in Sweden is the product information also: white mineral oil. When I'm next time at IKEA, I will buy a bottle of this oil and try with one of my next work. I think also, that's "the same" - paraffin oil/mineral oil - like Neil wrote.

Hej Stephan. Hur mar du?

Nice looking collection there. Quite a lot of variation from a "beginner", and nicely turned. Sounds like you need to find a supplier of the great U-Beaut finishes in Sweden.

Wayne.
Hej Wayne, tack det är bra. Ock själv?
If I try something, so it should be more than one different pieces. It's a kind of searching the right shape and I'm still searching :).
There are many suppliers of finishes, but I decide to take paraffin oil, if the work is for us, because I don't want, that our cats chew on some rubbish. I have also bought some other staff like Danish Oil, Chinese Tung Oil, Carnuba Wax and so on. This (http://www.slojd-detaljer.se/pslweb/deptlist.aspx?deptid=37) is my supplier here in Sweden.

Gil Jones
21st January 2009, 05:31 AM
You have made a fine start in woodturning:2tsup:
Welcome aboard!!

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 08:44 AM
Love the cup with the ring - even without the ring it has beautiful proportions.

NeilS
21st January 2009, 05:24 PM
I've never seen before. Here in Sweden is the product information also: white mineral oil. When I'm next time at IKEA, I will buy a bottle of this oil and try with one of my next work. I think also, that's "the same" - paraffin oil/mineral oil - like Neil wrote..

Yes ST, white mineral oil is another common name for paraffin oil. The only thing to watch out for is the applications specified on the bottle. Less refined paraffin oils are used for many applications that do not require a pharmacy grade of oil and therefore are not suitable for consumption or application to food contact utensils. For example, I wouldn't use the white oil that is sold as a pest spray for fruit trees on my food bowls. By reading the specified applications on the bottle you can work out if it is a suitable grade of oil. For 'internal consumption' will always be safe. For 'dressing wooden chopping boards, is also going to be OK.

Neil

NeilS
21st January 2009, 05:48 PM
.... With my ceramics I include washing instruction with the piece, and will do the same for the wood pieces. I was thinking of maybe giving a little bottlw of the finish for future re-touches.

Nice touch, TL.

BTW, I don't refer to it as 'mineral' oil in my care instructions... as it sounds a bit industrial for a natural handmade product. So I refer to it as 'pharmacy paraffin oil', it sounds bit safer and more natural, and it may help steer some ##### away from thinking they can just use their sewing machine oil!....:o

.... Is this a hijack?

Yes, I think we have. Apologies ST.

Neil

swedenturner
22nd January 2009, 01:02 AM
Yes, I think we have. Apologies ST.

Neil
No problem!

Thanks Gil and Eliza!

rodent
30th January 2009, 07:36 PM
Also used to shine and seal horses hoofs ( toe nails ) . Medical grade also used on our insides for lubrication of the bowel , in blockages ie laxative . also kid safe when dry.