PDA

View Full Version : oooooooooooooohhh!

ElizaLeahy
18th January 2009, 06:21 PM
Next door to me is a huge mango tree. I've been watching it die for a year.

The lower section of this tree is COVERED in burls!

It's on a housing commission property - and the place has just become vacant!

Guess who is going to call them tomorrow and tell them that the tree needs to come down before it becomes a danger and falls on their car (my car!)

Guess who is going to be hanging over the fence directing what pieces of wood gets thrown to her?

heehee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yeah:

rsser
18th January 2009, 06:57 PM
Luvverly!

Go for it.

Just bear in mind it's fickle stuff when green, and needs some care ASAP.

Search this forum.

artme
18th January 2009, 06:59 PM
Need a hand? :?:D:p

LogDog
18th January 2009, 07:10 PM
You Go Girl! Mango can be really beautiful especially those old, hard grown, suburban trees.
What have you got to cut it up with or do you turn it as a whole branch?
Be carefull of nails and wire, backyard trees are netorious for it.
I have broken many a blade on hidden inate inclusions. Maybe a stud finder or some sort of metal detecting device can help detect and prevent damage to your blades.:2tsup:

I am timber mad and would really like to see the timber you talk of when you are done.
What are you thinking of making with it?.:rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
18th January 2009, 07:10 PM
Need a hand? :?:D:p

Definately. I don't see why, if they do drop it, we can't harvest a lot of it. It's a HUGE tree. I'll let you know - we can get the guys from the club mobilised!

I'll phone them tomorrow - I might even suggest that we let the guys from the club take away the tree for them, once it's cut up. Minus my finders fee, that is.

ElizaLeahy
18th January 2009, 07:11 PM
You Go Girl! Mango can be really beautiful especially those old, hard grown, suburban trees.
What have you got to cut it up with or do you turn it as a whole branch?
Be carefull of nails and wire, backyard trees are netorious for it.
I have broken many a blade on hidden inate inclusions. Maybe a stud finder or some sort of metal detecting device can help detect and prevent damage to your blades.:2tsup:

I am timber mad and would really like to see the timber you talk of when you are done.
What are you thinking of making with it?.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of getting the local timber club involved and then it's their problem looking after it until it's dry. No way I could use a full tree!!! ;)

Robomanic
18th January 2009, 08:53 PM
Like ants to a Tim Tam :2tsup:

dai sensei
18th January 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm thinking of getting the local timber club involved and then it's their problem looking after it until it's dry. No way I could use a full tree!!! ;)

Great score, but even the burls will need carefull drying to avoid the blue. Watch out for nails etc in the tree when cutting, apart from past cubby houses, owners often used nails to promote fruiting.

Cheers

new_guy90
18th January 2009, 09:56 PM
nice score mango's nice to turn :2tsup:

Calm
18th January 2009, 11:35 PM
If you intend to turn any of ths yourself remember this when making the purchase of your lathe

Great score all the same.

Want to swap some for Blackwood??

Cheers

ElizaLeahy
19th January 2009, 10:19 AM
If you intend to turn any of ths yourself remember this when making the purchase of your lathe

Great score all the same.

Want to swap some for Blackwood??

Cheers

Let's see if I can get the mango first! I'll let you all know.

woodcutta
19th January 2009, 11:23 AM
Next door to me is a huge mango tree. I've been watching it die for a year.
:yeah:

A YEAR TO DIE - you obviously didn't mix your RoundUp strong enough!:D:D

woodcutta

rsser
19th January 2009, 11:35 AM
LOL.

Never thought of that ... hmm, Botanical Gardens, midnight ... hehehe

Calm
19th January 2009, 11:38 AM
LOL.

Never thought of that ... hmm, Botanical Gardens, midnight ... hehehe

Ern you realise if an exotic species now carks it there might be suspicion:D:D

Cheers

Ed Reiss
23rd January 2009, 01:21 PM
New rule for Mangos. Once it's been cut into proper sections, they then must be crated up and sent over to the port of Philadelphia, where I've been tasked to quarentine the load and determine if any of the wood is suitable for turning...normally the whole lot needs to be held at my homes wood stacks for observation - its a tough job, but someone's gotta do it:U:q:cool:

skot
23rd January 2009, 01:46 PM
Just be careful when sanding the Mango. I am doing a bowl turning course at the moment using mango and it does have a tendancy to "spault" and we have been told in no uncertain terms by our tutor that we must use dust extraction and masks when we get around to sanding the mango due to the fungus spores.

Keoni
24th January 2009, 06:42 AM
:) Here is some mango that we have in Hawaii. It's been spalted, and extreme precaution was taken when sanding. Be careful it does move alot after roughing. I do the normal 1/10 thickness from the finish size.

Ed Reiss
24th January 2009, 02:00 PM
Keoni...the mango turnings look real good:2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
24th January 2009, 04:17 PM
Woooohooo Giddy Up
Can we have some before and after photos please?
Cheers
Willy

weisyboy
24th January 2009, 04:22 PM
mangos to mutch trouble to dry.

ill take it to the dump for you.

free of charge ofcorse.