PDA

View Full Version : My first "Arty" bowl with finials

dai sensei
18th January 2009, 10:01 PM
I’ve made heaps of bowls over the years, but I have never done any arty type ones, nor any finials. So after getting some inspiration from Cindy Drozda (http://www.cindydrozda.com/) from the USA and our own TTIT (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/) I decided to branch out and give it a go.

I started with a piece of Budgeroo (Lysicarpus angustifolius) and turned tennons on the top and bottom for holds for my Vicmark jaws. Then using the Bowl Saver (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146630) I cut out what was to become the lid. I placed it in a bucket weighted down and cast black tinted resin around the outside. While that was setting I turned the main body of the bowl inside and out.

Next was shaping the side of the lid and turning the resin to be a “tight fit” to the main body holding it by the tennon. I also finished the base of the lid and put in a small recess to hold it when finish turning the top of the lid, and to put my name etc into.

I then placed the lid in the main bowl, and holding it there with the tailstock, I turned the final shape of the top of the bowl and lid at the same time to ensure the lid was a perfect fit shape wise. Holding the lid by the recess, I removed the tennon, cut a recess, then and glued in a piece of Ebony (Diospyros ferrea) for the finial.

Before turning the finial, I turned each of legs out of Ebony trying to match the bowl and each other, they took 2-3 hours each. I took a photo at that stage, they are not the same, but not bad for my first attempt at finial legs. I then finished the finial and the lid top to suit the legs. I also sanded the edge of the lid so it was an easy suction fit. The finishing touch was cutting short lengths of ¼” stainless steel rod and drilling holes so it could all be joined together with epoxy.

The finished bowl is 190mm dia x 45mm deep with a 75mm finial. The finial and legs are max 20mm dia and the legs 120mm long. I’m pretty happy with it.

Cheers

ps The legs are all vertical and straight, it's just the photo that makes them look out

efgee88
18th January 2009, 10:43 PM
Neil,
From someone who is just starting on the turning voyage, a compliment probably doesn't mean much. However, this piece gives me much inspiration. Beautifully done and a great idea to use these finial legs as part of the piece.
Cheers,
FrankG.

tea lady
18th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Very specky. :cool:

What do you mean "put in a bucket etc" for the resin casting? Did you use the bucket like a mold? Any pics of that bit?

Cindy Drozda link doesn't work BTW.

Ed Reiss
18th January 2009, 11:01 PM
:cool::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
18th January 2009, 11:20 PM
Neil Mate that is awesome. NIce job you dione a great job.
bye Toni

tea lady
18th January 2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.cindydrozda.com/

http://www.cindydrozda.com/images/8430SeedsOfChangeWEB.jpg

:oo:

RETIRED
18th January 2009, 11:30 PM
Very specky. :cool:

What do you mean "put in a bucket etc" for the resin casting? Did you use the bucket like a mold? Any pics of that bit?

Cindy Drozda link doesn't work BTW.Works now.

TTIT
19th January 2009, 12:13 AM
Awesome piece Neil - love it :2tsup: Must admit, I'm curious about the 'bucket' technique too :?

OGYT
19th January 2009, 02:27 AM
Fine work. What a gutsy attempt! You did it!
Okay... now for the "bucket" thing... time to 'fess up. :D

Calm
19th January 2009, 06:59 AM
Neil

I am dumbstruck,:2tsup: i dont care about the bucket, I think it is awesome:2tsup: and definetly well out of the range of my abilities EVER.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great peice, dont know what else to say about it.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

artme
19th January 2009, 07:25 AM
:o:oFabulous turning Neil!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mic-d
19th January 2009, 07:38 AM
Wow. Wow! That's beautiful Neil. Reminds me of the city in the Empire Strikes Back
(although my memory seems a bit distorted after just seeing an image of Cloud City)
Cheers
Michael

tea lady
19th January 2009, 09:07 AM
Further on the "Empire Strikes Back". I reckon forget making all the filial the same. Make them all completely different, and even crazier. And the "bowl even more "spaceshipier".:cool:

RETIRED
19th January 2009, 09:28 AM
Further on the "Empire Strikes Back". I reckon forget making all the filial the same. Make them all completely different, and even crazier. And the "bowl even more "spaceshipier".:cool:Whatchusmokin?:D

tea lady
19th January 2009, 10:00 AM
Whatchusmokin?:D

:? Should I have my 2nd cup of coffee?:C:D

rsser
19th January 2009, 12:30 PM
Great job pushing the boundaries Neil.

mic-d
19th January 2009, 03:48 PM
Further on the "Empire Strikes Back". I reckon forget making all the filial the same. Make them all completely different, and even crazier. And the "bowl even more "spaceshipier".:cool:
:coffee::stooges:
:D

Cheers
Michael

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2009, 04:34 PM
Nice work replicating the finials! :2tsup: I can't help but wonder how many ended up in the bit bucket?

It's not really my cup of tea... but arty-farty has never been my thing. (Can't handle the technobabble BS. :wink:)

jefferson
19th January 2009, 05:12 PM
Neil,

you've obviously got too much time on your hands! The amount of practice to get thus far boggles the mind.

Great turning and thanks for sharing.

Jeff

BernieP
19th January 2009, 06:42 PM
G'Day Neil

Very interesting concept, well done look forward to seeing your next one.

Cheers
Bernie

dai sensei
19th January 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the comments :B

Yes the bucket was the mold, perfect dia, the resin poured in until it overflowed the top of the lid lip. I weighed down the lid with a pepper grinder blank so it didn't float. Sorry no photos.

Cindy Drozda link doesn't work BTW.
Works now.

Thanks , not sure what happened.

Should I have my 2nd cup of coffee?

Sounds more like you have had too many already :U

Nice work replicating the finials! :2tsup: I can't help but wonder how many ended up in the bit bucket?

I broke one of the legs just above the foot trying to repolish the thin end - why did I do that :?. Reglued it, returned and resanded the join, then started polishing and gues what, I did it again :doh: and yet again :banghead:, forth time lucky I resisting the temptation to polish :rolleyes:. Lucky with Ebony, you cannot see it :U. I also broke off one of the tips and it got sucked down the dusty, so turned another one with a tiny tennon and joined it on :-, unfortunately you can see it if you look closely :((.

Harry72
19th January 2009, 09:47 PM
Nice work Neil

powderpost
19th January 2009, 09:51 PM
Very interesting... and challenging piece. I like the concept, but I think there is too much detail in the finials, they take away from the overall effect. Hope you don't mind me saying so.
Still a very interesting piece, well done :2tsup:
Jim

dai sensei
19th January 2009, 10:00 PM
Very interesting... and challenging piece. I like the concept, but I think there is too much detail in the finials, they take away from the overall effect. Hope you don't mind me saying so.
Still a very interesting piece, well done :2tsup:
Jim

I don't mind, and tend to agree. I seem to have lost the delicate touch a finial normally adds. I'm doing the Turnfest in March that Cindy is attending, hoping to learn some more hints, especially how she does her single stands.

tea lady
20th January 2009, 12:28 AM
I don't mind, and tend to agree. I seem to have lost the delicate touch a finial normally adds. I'm doing the Turnfest in March that Cindy is attending, hoping to learn some more hints, especially how she does her single stands.

Oooooh! That would be cool. So where is that Turnfest? You do get about a bit don't you?:rolleyes:

joe greiner
20th January 2009, 01:16 AM
Very well done, Neil. I'm amazed you got the legs nearly identical.

Cheers,
Joe

Allan at Wallan
20th January 2009, 10:10 AM
Great effort Neil.:2tsup:
Hope it leads to more challenges ahead.

Allan

dai sensei
20th January 2009, 07:22 PM
Oooooh! That would be cool. So where is that Turnfest?

This one is close to home, see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=78519&highlight=turnfest)

RufflyRustic
20th January 2009, 09:37 PM
Beautiful work Neil - very interesting design! Nothing like challenging one's self and coming up trumps:2tsup::)

Looking forward to admiring it in person.

cheers
Wendy