PDA

View Full Version : new member wanting to purchase a lathe and tools

snowplough
18th January 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi all, i am a new member and a beginning turner. I have been in the joinery trade for over fifteen years, so know my way around most areas of woodworking, but turning is something i have done very little of. I am looking for some advice on what lathe to buy and what tools i will need to start. At the moment i am looking to turn bowls and light ornamental stuff. i have been reading this forum for a long time now and i have found it most helpful, and i know that as soon as i start turning and experimenting i am gonna be on here a lot, so i thought it was about time i registered!:2tsup:

I have been looking around on the net and have a few lathes in mind, but would really appreciate experienced opinions.

lathes looking at so far: <TABLE class=productListing-data cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=productListing-odd><TD class=productListing-data>Carba tec mini lathe for $320
Taknatool TL1000 for $500
Leda H1000 for $1000
MC900 for $200
Hafco woodmaster 1100 for $480
woodfast m305 for $495
toolex tx531161 for $700
carba tec mc1100 for $850

</TD><TD class=productListing-data>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
all advice is apreciated,

Cheers,

Calm
18th January 2009, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the madhouse.

First question - What are your other tools like - if the answer is top quality professional tools then i think you should purchase the same in turning equipment. If you are used to the best then you will be disapointed in the cheaper end of the market.

You mention Bowls - if you intend to do bowls of 300 mm diameter and bigger, then the chances are the blank will be oout of balance. With lumps of wood this size you need slower speed than 500 RPM ( i suggest about 300 as a minimum)

I would suggest you look at the JET 1642 or a vicmark, stubby or even a woodfast or Nova, all with EVS ( dial up speed from 50 to 3000 rpm).

If on the other hand you are used to middle of the range equipment then that is what you have listed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

rsser
19th January 2009, 07:46 AM
The forum search function will throw up posts relating to some of those Steve.

And welcome.

snowplough
19th January 2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys, and thanks for the welcome.
I do prefer good quality tools and get frustrated with mediochre, cheap and nasty copies, only thing is that the budget is a bit tight at moment (when isn't it i hear you say) and i'm afraid if i dont get into turning now, i will put it off for another fifteen years!
If i start with middle of the road equipment, and get sucked into the addictive trap that this turning game will become, i can upgrade later with a bit more of an idea on what best suits my needs. in saying that, perhaps i should just bite the bullet and get something worthwhile - maybe i need to save a little! argghh - confused already!
:doh:

RETIRED
19th January 2009, 09:30 AM
Snowy, have you heard about the Wagga turnabout in March?

Pat
19th January 2009, 09:43 AM
I have the TL 1000 8s and it is a good leaning lathe, being able to spin up to 300mm bowls and 1000mm spindle turning. It is capable of speeds from about 300 rpm to 3000rpm (from memory). Whats more it is basically idiot proof.:U

NeilS
19th January 2009, 10:49 AM
Snowplough - Don't forget about 2nd hand lathes. All lathes, even the professional end of the market, lose up to half their value secondhand. For a few extra dollars you can get yourself a better quality secondhand lathe that will outperform and outlast the entry level machines.

The Wagga Turnabout may provide a good opportunity to find out if there is any 2nd hand lathes up for sale in your area. There will also be experienced people there who can have a look over any lathes and advise you on their condition. You might even get some expert tuition thrown in on a deal :).

Put some feelers out before the event via the organisers might be the way to go if this idea appeals to you.

Neil

snowplough
19th January 2009, 10:55 AM
Snowy, have you heard about the Wagga turnabout in March?

Snowplough - Don't forget about 2nd hand lathes. All lathes, even the professional end of the market, lose up to half their value secondhand. For a few extra dollars you can get yourself a better quality secondhand lathe that will outperform and outlast the entry level machines.

The Wagga Turnabout may provide a good opportunity to find out if there is any 2nd hand lathes up for sale in your area. There will also be experienced people there who can have a look over any lathes and advise you on their condition. You might even get some expert tuition thrown in on a deal :).

Put some feelers out before the event via the organisers might be the way to go if this idea appeals to you.

Neil

thanks fellas. i think i'll get in touch with the wagga turnabout crew. anyone got their contact details?

Calm
19th January 2009, 11:19 AM
:google: Wagga Wagga Turnabout

6-8 March 2009
Riverina Woodworkers 11th Annual Turn About
Borambola Sport and Recreation Centre
Borambola via Wagga Wagga, NSW
Larry Sloan: 02 6926 1536
Keith Gates: 02 6922 7380
http://www.woodreview.com.au/images/spacer_blank.gif

rsser
19th January 2009, 11:33 AM
Steve, sounds like you're the kind of guy who'd prefer to cry once ;-} (ie. at the price of a decent unit; not twice, at initial cost and then finding that that cheaper unit gets up your nose).

If you're not in any rush, then do your research and also see what comes on the market 2nd hand.

In my experience, good lathes don't appear all that often 2nd hand. There was a Nova DVR XP at 2 grand on the Buy Sell Swap section of the forum not too long ago; and a Vicmarc 175 at 2.6k before then. You could use one of these for several years and sell for close to what you paid for them.

And hooking into local networks of turners will provide a good chance of hearing of something going before it's even advertised.

snowplough
19th January 2009, 03:15 PM
just saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOODLATHE-WOODFAST-MADE-IN-AUSTRALIA_W0QQitemZ280302385875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Construction_Industrial_Equipment?hash=item280302385875&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

it is pretty old, and i would need to convert it so it runs off standard 240 volt power, but thought i would ask you lot if it was worth me having a second thought about it or not. i have heard that the big heavy cast iron lathes are very sturdy and good for reducing vibrations, and i love the idea of having a disc sander on the lathe for odd bits and pieces.

thoughts anyone, or am i wasting my time even looking at it on fleabay?:)

Calm
20th January 2009, 02:07 AM
just saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOODLATHE-WOODFAST-MADE-IN-AUSTRALIA_W0QQitemZ280302385875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Construction_Industrial_Equipment?hash=item280302385875&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

it is pretty old, and i would need to convert it so it runs off standard 240 volt power, but thought i would ask you lot if it was worth me having a second thought about it or not. i have heard that the big heavy cast iron lathes are very sturdy and good for reducing vibrations, and i love the idea of having a disc sander on the lathe for odd bits and pieces.

thoughts anyone, or am i wasting my time even looking at it on fleabay?:)

Could you add a EVS to give variable speed or is this motor not suitable??

Cheers

artme
20th January 2009, 06:54 AM
That is a good solid machine. You need to buy a separate motor and control unit for conversion to EVS. Get in touch with Jim Caroll.

Calm
20th January 2009, 08:45 AM
What sort of motor do you fit one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-5KW-2HP-Brand-New-single-to-threephase-VSD_W0QQitemZ280303673687QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item280303673687&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) too?

Cheers

old pete
20th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Hi Snowplough,

If funds are short go for a second hand heavy cast machine. Its pretty easy to assess the condition of a second hand lathe. There's not much beyond a couple or three bearings in a lathe to wear out and they are easy and fairly cheap to replace. Take someone with you from a local Guild who knows the game. Conversion to variable speed requires replacement of the motor and addition of a controller. I have the set up from Carrolls and it works just fine. It'll cost you about $750 if you do it yourself.

Good luck

:roll: old pete

NeilS
20th January 2009, 01:19 PM
Could you add a EVS to give variable speed or is this motor not suitable??

What sort of motor do you fit one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-5KW-2HP-Brand-New-single-to-threephase-VSD_W0QQitemZ280303673687QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item280303673687&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) too?

3 Phase motors come in two wiring configs, something like delta and star, only one of those is suitable for variable speed. I think you need delta. So you will need to do a little homework. I think this topic has been covered before somewhere on these forums....OK found something, start by reading from post #9 here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=76115&highlight=phase+motor+wiring)

Those earlier Woodfasts were very solid and well made (I used one for may years up until recently and was very happy with it), but would get someone to have a look at it first. 2HP is a bonus. Three phase indicates that it was probably used in an industrial setting at some stage, which can mean everything from heavy use to rarely ever used. The outboard rig is halfway there for outboard turning, which is a plus.... worth asking if there are any other bits and pieces that go with the lathe.

I think $850 is OK if the motor wiring allows for variable speed addition (later if the budget doesn't allow for it now). The fact that they say 415/240v motor sounds promising for VS. If you have no intention of going VS now or later I think the $850 is a bit high, by about $100-150.

Neil

Sawdust Maker
22nd January 2009, 09:31 PM
you can always go for the cheapish entry level machine now. save up your pennies and get the Vicmarc, Stubby or Nova later (I'd like a stubby but SWMBO is still getting over the Nova purchase :o )
I'd suggest that the tools and chuck are reasonably (very) costly up front, and quality here can cost a lot of money

snowplough
22nd January 2009, 11:03 PM
thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. :)

This afternoon i ordered a new lathe from Jim Carrol who was very helpful and i am very excited about the set-up. I have decided to go for a woodfast midi M305 with a Vicmark 100 chuck. i have commandeered some turning chisels i had at work from when i was just an apprentice, that are in great nick and will do me for a while till i decide what i use most and then i might upgrade those chisels - thats if i need to of course!

The reason i decided to go for the midi is because i figure that for what i am doing, it is more than adequate, and besides, it will give me a chance to impress my gorgeous wife with some nice creations in a lame attempt to woo her over should i need to purchase a stubby or vicmark later on!!!

Funny story - The missus was not that keen on me having a big lathe next to our car in our already small garage, and so i was relegated to a small room under my house which i call the dungeon! .....so i waltz on down there yesterday to have a look and find that i have a beautiful little abode with built in workbenches, concrete floor and power, and a very solid bench, perfect for my little woodfast to sit on. ( i bought this house two years ago, but the dungeon just looked a bit too dark and scary :o so i didn't have a real good look in there and put it in the "i'll get around to it one day" basket.!)

Well i am getting around to it in the morning and my 10 year old daughter is real keen to help me (she can hold my hand if it gets too dark and scary), and by the end of the day i should have my woodturning area all decked out. i may even put in a light (to make it not scary), a radio (to inspire the creativity) and a fan (cause it is bloody hot at the moment!), plus of course all my tools etc. and fit a more secure door and lock. now all i need is a lathe, which Jim is taking care of, and i will be butchering timber in no time!

thanks all,

much appreciated,
:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2009, 08:11 AM
Your wife is about to become a lathe widow :o

snowplough
24th January 2009, 07:40 PM
ha ha, - is it that addictive?

i think she is aware of this, that is why she relegated me to the dungeon, but as soon as she sees the first few finished products i am sure she will be o.k.:)