PDA

View Full Version : Woodturner's corner

jefferson
19th January 2009, 04:29 PM
I've been busting my butt lately trying to finish all parts of the shed. For those that have visited, you will note some serious changes.

Today, Indigo Valley (a member, but yet to post) and I lined two bays with 19mm yellow tongue. I hope to paint it tomorrow. Also, installed 3 melamine cabinets, total 3 metres. Yet to cut the doors, but I was in a hurry.

The top is also yellow tongue but doubled. I think I need to glue the sheets together, as there's too much give. Screws from the underside at this stage.

I intend to put my two grinders on this bench:

After painting, I'll probably use the spare wall for tools, calipers etc. Any and all ideas welcome, as there is quite a bit of stuff to store. Chisels (in 's racks), chucks, sandpaper etc etc.

I'm still not sure about where to put the VL100. I'm spinning the VL300 around so that is runs at right angles to the grinding bench. Again, all thoughts and ideas welcome.

So what else has been happening in the shed reno?

More work down the other end:

Surely this all must end soon! I want to start turning again.

Jeff

Waldo
19th January 2009, 04:39 PM
:2tsup: Jefferson.

There's lots of fun to be had in planning and setting out a shed, the next bit - the playing in it is the best.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2009, 04:43 PM
Don't forget to invite down to test out your new layout.

I'm sure it won't be long before he finds all the nooks & crannies that need some form of seal and/or door over 'em to keep the shavings out... :D

jefferson
19th January 2009, 05:06 PM
Skew, you are dead right.

is very welcome here - so long as he doesn't turn.

I've got chips / shavings / dust in places that have never seen timber before! It's so bad that I'm thinking of putting up so barriers just to keep the mess in roughtly the vicinity of the lathe.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he did it deliberately. I'm sure he spent as much time aiming the shavings as watching the turning. And he does so like to show off what he can do with a chisel! And the bugger can. (I hope that statement is OK with the mods).

I'll fix him one day. Dunno how but I will. I might have to import an expert turner from OS just to keep him honest. Or hire Raffan for a day or two. Yes, something to ponder on.

Jeff

Hardenfast
19th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Jeff, the double thickness yellow tongue benchtops should be rigid enough, but you may need to run a top rail across the top of the cupboard carcases to support the YT across the opening. The rest of the setup looks good.

rsser
19th January 2009, 06:40 PM
Jeff, when you turn you accept the cosmic principle: chips and dust go everywhere.

That's the downside of the upside: it is, or should be, a sh*tload of fun producing them ;-}

Sawdust Maker
19th January 2009, 08:28 PM
Did I see a bar fridge in one of those cupboards :U

thefixer
19th January 2009, 08:36 PM
Looking good Jeff. I'm extremely jealous. One thing I noticed is there are not too many power points. With the power points and additional power boards I have in my shed there are 48 places to plug something into and I still have trouble finding a spare when needed.:oo:

Cheers
Shorty

Chipman
19th January 2009, 08:49 PM
Good one Jeff,

I was planing on lining my shed with yellow tongue to so I would be interested in how you did it.

Mine should have been done over the year end but the good wife got sick so the shed can wait.

I have built stud walls inside my ranbuild shed, will put bats in between the studs then the yellow tongue. Good idea to paint it white too... makes it a lot lighter.

If you are finding your double yt benches are moving... maybe the span is too big. If as others have said, you run a rail or rails along underneath it, it will be rock solid. (could even do an angle iron or square section underneath it.

Anyways, you can be very proud of it.

Nothing you can do about the dust and chips mate... you should see my shed!!!!!

Can you put a through the wall fan in like 's

At the moment, I have a pedestal fan behind me... keeps the dust away from me but it blows stuff everywhere.

Have fun,

Chipman

Ed Reiss
20th January 2009, 01:25 AM
....ahhhhh, memories of when the shop was clean!!!:C

artme
20th January 2009, 06:48 AM
:wts:

RETIRED
20th January 2009, 08:18 AM
Gooday Jeff.
I have been thinking about your little turning nook and a few things you probably need to think about.

You mostly turn Red Gum which gives off a lot of dust more than shavings. The problems with this is many.
1: It clogs your nose as you know.
2: It turns you black which you also know:D.
3: It gets into every nook and cranny which you now know:wink::D
4: The biggest problem is it coats everything in a red film which absolutely kills light because of the light spectrum.

The answers for the first 3 are easy,
1: Wear a mask or respirator which I know you do. Or get a bigger screwdriver to get it out.
2: Lemon juice or citric based hand cleaners generally remove most of it.
3: Lock up your cupboards (daughters are safe) when I come up.:D
4: Paint all surfaces in white washable paint and have lights that are easily accessible so that you can clean them.

Dust extraction and lots of it certainly helps a great deal also.

Looks good and I look forward to road testing it on completion. :whistling:

Calm
20th January 2009, 08:38 AM
Jeff somewhere on here i saw that someone had shower curtains they put up to confine the dust/shavngs to one area when turning, maybe some movable screens or drop curtains would help..

Still WHAT A SHED i want one. :insert jealous smilie:

Cheers