PDA

View Full Version : I give up...

ElizaLeahy
27th January 2009, 03:40 PM
I'm going to buy a steady rest.

Black Ned
27th January 2009, 03:56 PM
Just have a strong cuppa and a good lie-down.

skot
27th January 2009, 04:16 PM
ElizaLeahy,

Maybe you need to step up the speed if you are having probs with thin turnings

ElizaLeahy
27th January 2009, 04:30 PM
ElizaLeahy,

Maybe you need to step up the speed if you are having probs with thin turnings

Yeah, then they can break faster! LOL

To be honest - I tried!!! I opened the back, I released the bolt on the motor, I lifted the motor with my right hand and tried to move the belt with my left - and I couldn't move it. I'm getting a longer tool rest from Dave, so when I go down to pick it up I'll ask him to show me how to do it. I mean, I *know* but I still couldn't do it! Probably making some obvious mistake.

rsser
27th January 2009, 04:32 PM
So which of the other suggestions have your tried Eliza?

Same prob every time?

ElizaLeahy
27th January 2009, 04:59 PM
I tried holding it with my hand but I'm too scared of the chisel. Possibly with more practice - but I don't want to break that much wood! lol

Alternatively I need something thicker I can make while I'm practising.

So - what else can I turn between centers?

rsser
27th January 2009, 05:02 PM
Rolling pins would make for good skew practice.

old pete
27th January 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Eliza,

Can I make a few suggestions as one who has turned for many years (40+) and has also taught turning for some years to Year 10 high school students.

1) Don't even think about trying to make product at this stage
2) Don't turn anything thinner than 30mm dia and longer than about 350mm at this stage
3) Buy yourself a wheelbarrow load of radiata pine 50mm square timber for practice. It's easy to turn and more importantly it doesn't blunt the tools quickly so you can practice turning and not be sharpening every two or three minutes.
4) If you can do it then plane the corners off the radiata so rounding up is less traumatic
5) Don't even think about using the skew for rounding up or forming profiles except for v's at this time.
6) Turning single handed while back holding with the other hand is an advanced turning maneouvre and not to be attempted by beginners. The steady rest introduces as many problems as it solves for beginners. The way forward is not to try to turn thin stock until you are ready.
7) Start your learning process by turning square to round and then forming multiple beads and coves and v's on the length of the cylinder then run them off and do it again and again and again. Try some straight tapering on the cylinder ends using the detail gouge and the point of the skew. Try forming the vase shape and the tulip shape with the detail gouge as you gain skill and confidence.
8) Don't use any sandpaper to brutalise your efforts into the shape you intended. Persevere with getting very close with the tools.
9) I think about 50 hours practice on just the above should see you developing your skills quite nicely. It's relatively easy to turn anything that's a spindle but it's a different thing if you have to make 40 the same.
10) Don't get discouraged. I can finish turn a colonial dining table leg in about an hour but I know those who can do it in a bit over 10 minutes.
11) How will you know when you are getting there? When you suddenly realise you haven't had a run back for more than a week and you can commence sanding with 150 grit or even higher.
12) Stop by next time you are in Tassie for a few n/c lessons and a yarn.

Good Luck Old Pete

RETIRED
27th January 2009, 05:39 PM
Loosen the tailstock a bit.

ElizaLeahy
27th January 2009, 06:18 PM
, that's an interesting thought - you think I have it too tight?

Pete - that's a great list! Thank you. :)

artme
27th January 2009, 06:45 PM
Practise, practise, practise!!!

Old Pete has given a great list of hints.'

As Ern says, do work on larger items such as rolling pins and also handles.

Ask Dave about a Hamlet Sorensen spindle tool. Great for - would you believe - spindle work.

Sawdust Maker
27th January 2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Eliza,

Can I make a few suggestions as one who has turned for many years (40+) and has also taught turning for some years to Year 10 high school students.

Good Luck Old Pete

I've the attention span of a year 10 student and can I take you up on number 12?

Actually this is super advice. I'm too eager to make something and haven't put in the hours. I really should get out the pine and do as Old Pete says in 4), 5), 6) and 7). but time (allowed:o) in the shed is a factor.

OP have a greenie :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
27th January 2009, 09:05 PM
I'd love to go to Tassie actually. I've got as far as Melbourne once - drove down and it was beautiful. Came back around the edge of Victoria - just beautiful. Saw penguins on Phillip Island. Wanted to go over to Tassie but funds didn't allow.

joe greiner
27th January 2009, 11:14 PM
All good advice here, Eliza. A store-bought steady rest might not be appropriate for tiny spindles anyway.

Google [woodturning "string steady"] for some DIY ideas.

For consistency practise, try some birdhouse earrings: t=57866 Also has a DIY steady.

My four-wheel steady is at t=68735 Even with diagonal pairs of wheels on opposite sides of the frame, the distance between pairs of wheels might be too great for tiny spindles.

Cheers,
Joe

RETIRED
27th January 2009, 11:48 PM
I agree with the last sentence. And yes, I have tried it.

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/SpindleMaster/SpindleMaster.htm

tea lady
28th January 2009, 12:01 AM
I'm going to buy a steady rest.

Geez! You've only had the lathe a week. At least have a go at it for as long as you went shopping for.:rolleyes:

No No Sorry!:C Maybe just try some SLIGHTLY thicker things. Some of those beginner turning books have some project suggestions. Spoons and kitchen stuff. :shrug: Candle holders? :?

Keep going. That's all.:2tsup:

mick61
28th January 2009, 12:27 AM
Rome wasn`t built in a day, practice ,practice practice.Get yourself some slimline pen kits and turn them with skew only after you stuff a couple up you will start to learn how to handle the skew which is the best tool to use for what you are trying to make.

If the skew is sharp it will not slip so there is nothing to be scared of.
Good luck
Mick:D

joe greiner
28th January 2009, 12:40 AM

:? The wheels thing :? or the self-confessed tool freak :? or both :?:wink::D

Cheers,
Joe

bookend
28th January 2009, 02:04 AM
Have a look at the video "Turning Projects" by Richard Raffan. He does a fine spindle on it and demonstrates how to support the fine spindle as you cut with the skew.

RETIRED
28th January 2009, 07:04 AM
:? The wheels thing :? or the self-confessed tool freak :? or both :?:wink::D

Cheers,
Joe
In the long run you'll be better off mastering the skew. And this comes from a self-confessed tool freak.Sorry, second last sentence.:wink:

toolbagsPLUS
28th January 2009, 08:46 AM
If i can offer one more gem..to quote Sir Winston Churchill..
"Never give up!
Never Give up!
Never Give up!"

or my personal favorite..
"If something is worth doing, it's worth doing poorly..to start with" :~+:~+:~=:B

Cheers

Steve

ElizaLeahy
28th January 2009, 10:42 AM
So many to reply to!

- do you think I could reshape one of my tools to make that tool? I have some of the old Marley tools

Tealady - we are the same age, when's your birthday? I wasn't giving up on my lathe, just thinking of giving up trying to make these thin things without the steady.

But I've been given other things to try first, so I'll try them!

And here is the hair stick I made yesterday. It's a shorty because we cut some of the lengths of wood I've been given in half to allow for more practice and less wobble - but I've been holding my bun up with it all morning. Red Cedar (der)

http://www.elizasart.com/hairsticks/wood/redcedar1.jpg

And Dave just phoned to tell me that my longer tool rest has arrived. yay! I'll see about the spindle master while I'm down there.

Forgot to say how short - 5.5" long with usable area just under 4.5"

Ozkaban
28th January 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Eliza,

1) Don't even think about trying to make product at this stage
2) Don't turn anything thinner than 30mm dia and longer than about 350mm at this stage
3) Buy yourself a wheelbarrow load of radiata pine 50mm square timber for practice. It's easy to turn and more importantly it doesn't blunt the tools quickly so you can practice turning and not be sharpening every two or three minutes.
4) If you can do it then plane the corners off the radiata so rounding up is less traumatic
5) Don't even think about using the skew for rounding up or forming profiles except for v's at this time.
6) Turning single handed while back holding with the other hand is an advanced turning maneouvre and not to be attempted by beginners. The steady rest introduces as many problems as it solves for beginners. The way forward is not to try to turn thin stock until you are ready.
7) Start your learning process by turning square to round and then forming multiple beads and coves and v's on the length of the cylinder then run them off and do it again and again and again. Try some straight tapering on the cylinder ends using the detail gouge and the point of the skew. Try forming the vase shape and the tulip shape with the detail gouge as you gain skill and confidence.
8) Don't use any sandpaper to brutalise your efforts into the shape you intended. Persevere with getting very close with the tools.
9) I think about 50 hours practice on just the above should see you developing your skills quite nicely. It's relatively easy to turn anything that's a spindle but it's a different thing if you have to make 40 the same.
10) Don't get discouraged. I can finish turn a colonial dining table leg in about an hour but I know those who can do it in a bit over 10 minutes.
11) How will you know when you are getting there? When you suddenly realise you haven't had a run back for more than a week and you can commence sanding with 150 grit or even higher.

Good Luck Old Pete

Awesome advise Pete. I'm very much in the beginner category myself and that all sounds very sensible. Especially the bit about not trying to make a product at this stage. I tried to turn something (other than a pen...) as a pressie and it was quite disasterous and disheartening!

hmmm, the $%@# skew. I was given Mike Darlow's book and have been practicing with a few of the exercises. It does seem like the skew is worth learning but man it tries your patience!!! I have booked into a beginners course at Trend at the end of next month, so hopefully this will help somewhat.

cheers,
Dave

RETIRED
28th January 2009, 12:08 PM
I have booked into a beginners course at Trend at the end of next month, so hopefully this will help somewhat.Wise move and yes you will.
Give my regards to John.

Paul39
28th January 2009, 12:44 PM
I heat with wood & solar, so I'm always bringing all sorts of stuff home. When cutting firewood I'll see an interesting twist or knobby branch and cut that out and save.

I stick those odd pieces in the lathe and just make turned forms from them. I put hooks in the end and give them as Christmas tree ornaments. Some I put a flat on the bottom and sit on the shelf. Some go into the wood stove.

I don't start with any intention to make something, I just play with the piece of wood.

I make bowls, but the playing around with various tools on the little between center stuff gives me practice on how the various tools work. I have used a skew on making tool handles, but am more comfortable using spindle and bowl gouges, and finishing with razor sharp carbon steel scrapers. I turned bowls for three years before owning a bowl gouge. I had some crazy money last Christmas and took the leap to my first HSS tool. Everything before was carbon steel, files, reground screwdriver parting tool, etc.

Learning to turn is like learning to ride a bicycle, just keep doing it, and one day it just happens.

Paul

rodent
10th February 2009, 02:10 PM
I'd love to go to Tassie actually. I've got as far as Melbourne once - drove down and it was beautiful. Came back around the edge of Victoria - just beautiful. Saw penguins on Phillip Island. Wanted to go over to Tassie but funds didn't allow.
What ! you went all the way down to the island and didn't drop in and see (he is at TORADIN ) . See the people that you are getting your parts from and see if they have or can get a cone center or attachment for one . if not look on the internet for pictures of one , and turn one to go over your tail center .:2tsup:

joe greiner
10th February 2009, 10:21 PM
if not look on the internet for pictures of one , and turn one to go over your tail center .:2tsup:
, with the centre point removed, so you can disengage it with the knockout bar. DAMHIKT.

Cheers,
Joe

Lutefisk
11th February 2009, 08:12 AM
Check out the new issue of Woodturning Design. It has an article on turning knitting needles that would transfer to your hair sticks. If you can't get the magazine down under, PM me your address and I will send you one.
Dale

ElizaLeahy
11th February 2009, 08:24 AM
Check out the new issue of Woodturning Design. It has an article on turning knitting needles that would transfer to your hair sticks. If you can't get the magazine down under, PM me your address and I will send you one.
Dale

We are going to join the local library - can't afford all these books and mags that you guys talk about! Hopefully it will be a mag that they carry.

Thanks!

I'm getting pin jaws for my chuck next week (I think next week) and I'm looking at a set of miniature tools. Yesterday I turned the smallest "head" yet. Actually might be too small to go on a hairpin, but I wanted to see if I could do it. I'll show it when I can photo it.

ElizaLeahy
11th February 2009, 09:02 AM
I know it's not that small in terms of miniatures. Some of my scratchboards are miniatures.

But it's the smallest I've done so far - I think it's going to be a little small for a hairstick top. Now I want some miniature tools :)

The other picture is a scratchboard - actual size is 2.5" x 3.5" It's coloured now, but this scan was obviously taken before I coloured it. I'll have to scan it again. You can see how many lines go into something that small - imagin how many go into larger ones!

ElizaLeahy
11th February 2009, 09:04 AM
oops...

Ozkaban
11th February 2009, 09:09 AM
nice work... you'd be a dab hand at turning pens, I reckon!

oh, like your elvenhair website - nicely put together.

cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
11th February 2009, 09:20 AM
nice work... you'd be a dab hand at turning pens, I reckon!

oh, like your elvenhair website - nicely put together.

cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave! It's getting there. Should have lots of photos after the weekend.

Paul39
11th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Eliza,

You are progressing well with your turning. I really like the shape of the bowl with the crack and hole through the side. I'm sure you learned a lot about interrupted cutting with that.

Yet another book is below as suggested by :

A better book IMHO for the beginner is "Woodturning. A foundation Course by Keith Rowley" Also available from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Woodturning: A Foundation Course (New Edition): Keith Rowley: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Foundation-Course-Keith-Rowley/dp/1861081146)

Raffans book is good once you have the basics.

Of course the best learning is done by hands on at a club.

I bought it used from Amazon last week, and found many things in it that would directly help you - thin spindles, how to sharpen, deep hollowing, jigs and fixtures. Lots of diagrams and photos showing specific moves in turning.

I have been turning off and on for 3 years with no formal training. Lots of trial and error with some demonstrations at the local turning club.

I learned several helpful things with the first quick look through.