PDA

View Full Version : Help please - Brisbane

ElizaLeahy
29th January 2009, 04:12 PM
Anyone in Brisbane got any smallish bits of wood I can wreck while I'm practicing?

Would anyone consider being a mentor, especially with spindle work? I just tried to turn some basic ins and outs shapes in a piece of campher - what could be easier? But in one direction the wood just kept tearing. I'm guessing that's the wrong way to go...

petersemple
29th January 2009, 05:13 PM
There is a woodturning club that meets somewhere near Holland Park, and another at Wynnum somewhere. Not sure about the northside. Which part of Brissie are you in? The clubs usually are good places to get hands on assistance. I don't have the time to be going regularly to a club at the moment or I would probably join one. I have just borrowed a turning DVD form the library (Redlands library) and that sort of thing may be a good option too.

Peter

crow400
29th January 2009, 05:27 PM
Peter's advice to join a club is spot on. I am the slowest learner at the Caloundra Club where the blokes are very helpful. They have multiplied my enjoyment and ensured that not everything ends up in the bin. Bowls can become eggcups.
Crow

STAR
Anyone in Brisbane got any smallish bits of wood I can wreck while I'm practicing?

Would anyone consider being a mentor, especially with spindle work? I just tried to turn some basic ins and outs shapes in a piece of campher - what could be easier? But in one direction the wood just kept tearing. I'm guessing that's the wrong way to go...

Eliza.

I know it is hard for a lady but if you have the opportunity try to attend one of our Woodies BBQ like we had at Neil's last Monday.

When the next one comes around if you are interested we will try to get one of the ladies or a guy with his partner to pick you up for the first one to break the ice. We all had to start somewhere these guys and gals have helped me and got me pointed in the right direction.

Once somebody knows you personally, it all seems to fall into place, and you will get all the help you need. I know a guy can be a bit more forward but their are some top people here. It is amazing how a common bond has knitted everybody so close together.

We have something special with this forum.

ElizaLeahy
Yes, at Greenslopes. I have a medical alert dog and she isn't allowed where there is machinery, so that's one place I can't take her. I went once without her, but I had to leave after an hour.

They seemed a really nice bunch of guys, and I had a talk to Rod (Rob?) and he was extremely knowledgable. I just can't do it.

ElizaLeahy
29th January 2009, 05:30 PM
Eliza.

I know it is hard for a lady but if you have the opportunity try to attend one of our Woodies BBQ like we had at Neil's last Monday.

When the next one comes around if you are interested we will try to get one of the ladies or a guy with his partner to pick you up for the first one to break the ice. We all had to start somewhere these guys and gals have helped me and got me pointed in the right direction.

Once somebody knows you personally, it all seems to fall into place, and you will get all the help you need. I know a guy can be a bit more forward but their are some top people here. It is amazing how a common bond has knitted everybody so close together.

We have something special with this forum.

I'm sorry I missed that BBQ - reading about it later, it sounded like a great day! I'll try to come along to one sometimes, but even BBQ's with my own family are hard.

I didn't leave the house by myself for 10 years, so I'm doing pretty good, honest!

Check out the pot I just made - no, I'm going to give it its own thread...

unixbigot
29th January 2009, 06:08 PM
You're welcome to raid my woodpile and bandsaw if you're anywhere near chapel hill, I was just sorting thru the racks last weekend and thinking I have way more small logs in the 'spindle stock' category than I have peppercorns need grinding ;-)

The brisbane city library has the richard raffan turning books and dvds, which might be helpful (or dismaying) for an absolute beginner.

ElizaLeahy
29th January 2009, 06:40 PM
You're welcome to raid my woodpile and bandsaw if you're anywhere near chapel hill, I was just sorting thru the racks last weekend and thinking I have way more small logs in the 'spindle stock' category than I have peppercorns need grinding ;-)

The brisbane city library has the richard raffan turning books and dvds, which might be helpful (or dismaying) for an absolute beginner.

Thanks! I'm in Norman Park - I'll PM you. :)

Mobil Man
29th January 2009, 11:56 PM
Eliza, Have you tried "U-tube.com" Search for 'spindle turning" "bowl & or pen turning. There are lots of good videos there. Also videos on how to use different turning tools.

munruben
30th January 2009, 10:04 AM
Eliza, I am only a beginner myself so am not good enough by a long shot to teach anyone the lathe but maybe one of our more experienced wood turners who live close to you might be able to give you a few pointers. Come on guys, help the lady out. I was in the same position a few months ago and had some great help from forumites. How about giving a lady a helping hand.

RETIRED
30th January 2009, 11:01 AM
If she lived closer it would be no problems.:D

DJ’s Timber
30th January 2009, 11:47 AM
If she lived closer it would be no problems.:D

Maybe it's time to load the camper up and hit the road :roll: :U

ElizaLeahy
30th January 2009, 03:13 PM
I do really appreciate all the help and advice (and wood!) that I'm getting from the folks on the board - all complete strangers! With online help I'm getting there, after all, there is no hurry! :)

weisyboy
30th January 2009, 08:31 PM
i think i could spare a few hundred meters of ofcuts for you if you wanna cone out and collect.

i got heaps of hardwood blocks and bits of hardwood 4x2 also plenty of other sawmill ofcuts.

artme
30th January 2009, 08:39 PM
I have some lengths of Radiata about 75mm square that can be docked to suitable lengths.

ElizaLeahy
30th January 2009, 09:00 PM
I have some lengths of Radiata about 75mm square that can be docked to suitable lengths.

Where are you artme? I'd love some thanks :)