PDA

View Full Version : Dabar Lathe

CameronPotter
1st February 2009, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

I have noticed a Dabar lathe for sale at $1500 plus accessories. This seems a little pricey to me - but I guess it depends on the quality of the lathe, I could probably convince myself to get a Stubby for that price!!! Does anyone have any experience with Dabars?

Cheers

Cam

Mulgabill
1st February 2009, 11:50 AM
G'day Cam!
Apparently Dabars were made in Tas. Refer page 7 of attached PDF.
http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/regions/western/newsletters/nov2006.pdf

old pete
1st February 2009, 05:46 PM
G'day Cam!
Apparently Dabars were made in Tas. Refer page 7 of attached PDF.
http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/regions/western/newsletters/nov2006.pdf

Hi cameron,

Yes the Dabar was manufactured for a few years in Hobart in the late 60's. There are six of them in the Hobart TAFE and sadly they only get used now for Adult Ed classes. The Dabar is pretty well a direct copy of the three foot bed Woodfast. My memory is dim on this but I think I recollect a lawsuit between Woodfast and Dabar over patent breach in Dabar making the copy. Anyway they are a nice old fashioned conventional fully cast four speed belt drive machine. Bit of a bugger to change speed but I almost always turn at the third highest speed anyway unless the square id 100mm plus to start.Very nice to use and pretty well free of vibration all things being equal. They would be close to 40 years old although that's not of significance in itself. I'd have thougjht that $1500 was far too much for a Dabar rig depending on what comes with it of course. New HSS chisels average $60 ea. without handle and if you have a couple of self centring chucks and a steady or two you would soon get up there. I saw an as new version of the same in Woodfast sell for $600 a couple of years ago at auction but it had nothing but two rests and two centres as accessories if that gives you guidance. As a machine that will serve you well at professional level I would be happy to commend the brand providing it is in good condition. Old Pete

CameronPotter
1st February 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys,

I thought that it might be a bit pricey. I am really looking for a lathe to do everything from pens to plates so I was more interested in a lathe with a bit more than 4 speeds - I could retrofit a VS motor from Jim Carroll - but that would take the total to about $2500 - and I can get a new VS Woodfast for about that price...

Maybe I will give him a call in a few days and see what price might be on it later...

Cheers

Cam