PDA

View Full Version : The repair job

powderpost
1st February 2009, 06:26 PM
We all stop the lathe when adjusting the tool rest, right? Yeah right. Was just finishing off the rim and needed to adjust the tool rest... well I think you can work the rest out. Gee golly whisker, poo dam and bugger, well something like that. Anyway the damaged rim was cut off and another one fitted. Turned out all right in the end I suppose. Red cedar and silver ash, 320mm diameter. Grain filled with sanding sealer and five thin coats of lacquer. This one turned out not too bad.
Jim

dai sensei
1st February 2009, 06:34 PM
We all stop the lathe when adjusting the tool rest, right?

Of course, always, wouldn't consider anything else, not me :rolleyes:

Beautiful end result Jim :2tsup:

coffenup
1st February 2009, 10:15 PM
as usual jim bloody marverlous work looks great
Regards Michael

Harry72
1st February 2009, 10:46 PM
What he^^^ said:)

Ad de Crom
1st February 2009, 10:49 PM
Jim, I tried to grab it from the screen of my computer, didn't work, else it was mine.:D
All I can say, I love it !!
Ad :2tsup:

joe greiner
2nd February 2009, 12:45 AM
Great recovery, Jim. :2tsup: And another "learning opportunity," "mid-course correction," "accidental design feature," or whatever you want to call it.:wink:

Cheers,
Joe

wheelinround
2nd February 2009, 08:52 AM
Jim well done great design a piece to be proud of :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 09:29 AM
That is so beautiful! I'm glad you were able to save it!

And yes, I always stop the lathe when moving the tool rest - and certainly will make sure that I always do now!

Thanks for the warning and showing us this beauty

Ed Reiss
2nd February 2009, 01:07 PM
Turned out great Jim:2tsup:

OGYT
2nd February 2009, 03:16 PM
Marvelous... just marvelous! What patience you segmenters have!! Two thumbs up!!

powderpost
2nd February 2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the nice comments folks. New years resolution, always stop the lathe before adjusting the tool rest. :rolleyes:.
Jim

orificiam
3rd February 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Jim-- Did you say it turned out not too bad? you've got to be joking That is some
Beautiful Segment Turning.alway look forward to your work. Keep them coming Please. Maybe some work in progress sometime?
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup::oo::oo:

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2009, 09:50 PM
very nice frisbee :D
great catch er save and I think the finish is super
I keep thinking of doing some segmenting and then see your work and think "aim lower", "do something simpler first!"