PDA

View Full Version : breathing and masks

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 09:04 AM
After only this short time my asthma has returned.

I'm looking at this...

http://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-masks-safety-gear/purelite-xstream-lightweight-battery-powered-airshield

But - they don't give a price. Anyone know approximately how much they are? Would they be what I need?

Many thanks!

:)

DJ’s Timber
2nd February 2009, 10:09 AM
Are you sitting down?

Yes, ok then get ready for it.

Over $500, somewhere around the $800 I believe

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 10:12 AM
Oh.

Well, breathing isn't really that important, is it?

Is there an affordable alternative?

No wonder they didn't put the price on the page! LOL

DJ’s Timber
2nd February 2009, 10:19 AM
Triton mask (http://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-masks-safety-gear/triton-powered-respirator) from Carbetec work OK, a bit on the heavy side and would require a second battery for use all day

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 10:24 AM
Is this one a waste of money?

http://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-masks-safety-gear/economy-powered-dust-mask

Paul39
2nd February 2009, 11:38 AM
Eliza,

I have managed to live far beyond my means by fixing something or building something that does the same thing.

Here is a list of progressively more complicated and expensive steps.

I suspect from your output you have been spending about 8 hours a day at the lathe. You might want to take a couple days off to let the asthma calm down.

I believe you are working outside on a patio. If there is a prevailing breeze going through there, position your lathe so that the breeze comes from the left or right behind you toward the lathe. Get a fan on a pole or set a box fan on a chair to add to the breeze. That blows the chips and dust away from you. Get a red, or blue, or purple bandanna like the train robbers in US Westerns used, fold corner to corner and tie behind your head above your ears.

No relief, exchange bandanna for cartridge type dust mask from lumber store, or auto paint supply places.

If you must have a supplied air mask, the auto paint supply places have very good ones as some of the two part paints used on modern cars will knock you down and kill with just a couple of breaths. This may or may not be cheaper than the carbatec.

I have considered making a supplied air mask as I turn a lot of spalted and sometimes rotten wood. So far the bandanna has been enough. I have a bushy beard so the cartridge masks are not as effective as they would be on a shaven person.

I was buying some metal turning stuff from a gentleman who's wife had died from respiratory difficulties. He had a medical compressor and 20 feet of light plastic hose that she used to provide a positive pressure for breathing. I got it for US$25.00, and I was not holding a gun. I am sure they cost an arm and a leg new. I stick the hose under my face shield so that it blows in front of my nose.

This rig does tether one to a fixed position, but when I am turning I am in front of the lathe or two steps to the right to the grinder.

I found a 3 X 6 inch HEPA filter (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA) for a Eureka Vacuum and will make a housing for it from cardboard and duct tape for the intake on the compressor.

Wagner makes a High Volume Low Pressure compressor for the HVLP spray gun. This with light hose would work.

An old vacuum cleaner that has the centrifical fan separate from the motor would also work. Clean out the air path, put a filter on the intake, a T on the output and hose to your mask. The T would provide a place to bleed off excess air so you don't get too much on the face. A household light dimmer would also reduce the speed of the motor and cut down the noise.

I am sure the inventive and helpful bunch on this forum will have other ideas and possibly photos of what they have built.

I have the additude that a man or woman designed and built that, I am a man, I can build that. Or a reasonable kluge. Most of the time, anyway.

If you want to build something and have questions or snags, ask, there is plenty of help available here.

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 11:44 AM
8 hours a day? oops, no! The most at one time was 3 hours. Yesterday I didn't get to the lathe at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions you made. I'm not much at making things as I don't have tools (other then the lathe etc) but I'll check the ones for spray painting, and I'll keep an eye out for second hand.

Paul39
2nd February 2009, 12:35 PM
Eliza,

Here are some AU references.

http://www.workershealth.com.au/facts014.html

http://www.ferret.com.au/c/R-C-R-International/Disposable-Respiratory-Protection-P1-and-P2-Dust-Masks-p15919

Here is another that will not show a price, looks like the ultimate turners mask with crash helmet and face shield. Those who own $13,000 bowl turners lathes probably have them.

http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Helmet-Integrated-Systems-Design/Purelite-Xstream-Lightweight-Battery-Powered-Airshield-from-Helmet-Integrated-Systems-p16529

http://www.sea.com.au/suppliedair/types.htm

This would be a good one, I can't find a supplier in AU:

Amazon.com: 3M 6291 P100 Respirator Assembly Medium: Home Improvement

Here is one on eBay, AU:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Two-Cartridge-Filter-Respirator-dust-Proof-mask-safety_W0QQitemZ390027642029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Protective_Gear?hash=item390027642029&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Two-Cartridge-Filter-Respirator-dust-Proof-mask-safety_W0QQitemZ390027642029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Protective_Gear?hash=item390027642029&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

I like the 3M one if you can find it.

Good luck.

Paul39
2nd February 2009, 12:46 PM
HVLP sprayer: Look for one of these compressors used.

http://www.melspray.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=268

rsser
2nd February 2009, 03:07 PM
Some turners use a disposable thing called something like Dust-b-gone but they're not cheap. I think 3M do something similar.

Cheap solution would be basic paper face mask with a big fan behind you pushing the dust out of your way ( open verandah? or windows in one?).

Best single sustainable solution IMO is the Trend Airshield at around $550 IIRC; that's a filtered visor with dual filtration.

The problem is small dust particles that are invisible and float in the air. Breathe them in and they stay in your lungs. Pfizer are working on just this principle for delivery of medications and they like a 4 micron size for it.

crow400
2nd February 2009, 03:28 PM
The Dust Bee Gone mask seems to be good. See Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies (top of thie page). Quite a few of our club members use them.
Grow

rsser
2nd February 2009, 03:40 PM
Yep.

But one heads-up for blokes with beards: press-on type facemasks are likely to leave gaps. If your face fungus is fine you can slather on some petroleum jelly to reduce the gaps. If not, you're looking at a filtered visor. This has the advantage of creating positive pressure within the mask.

I'm a fan of the Trend since it's a unitary item: includes replaceable filters, full face protection, replaceable visor film and rechargeable battery pack. It's light enough to wear all day, and doesn't recycle your own emissions. Also appallingly expensive but what's a pair of lungs worth?

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 04:11 PM
I just found out that I'm getting paid for a website that I thought I was doing for free. Well - that's nice!!!!!!!!

Don't know when - but now I know what the money will be going towards!

Thanks for all the advice and choices.

Woodturnerjosh
2nd February 2009, 05:26 PM
The best respirator I've found so far is the 3M 7500 series one that uses the round fabric disc filters. I've been using mine for two years now and I think it's great. Thin disc filters (3M number 2125) don't interfere with the face-shield and the exhaust is aimed down so you get almost no fogging unless it's really cold in the shed. The attractive bit about them to me is that you have no batteries to worry about and you don't have to strap yourself into anything like you do with the Triton. I can still wear this with the face-shield and earmuffs without any trouble.
Cheers
Josh

jchappo
2nd February 2009, 05:54 PM
Get a Dust B Gone from Jim Carroll
At $60, for what looks like a disposable mask, they seem expensive, but they are washable and with care, are said to last for 5 or six years.
I bought one recently and use it all the time - no more coughing!
Also, my glasses don't mist up.

snapman007
2nd February 2009, 06:39 PM
After only this short time my asthma has returned.

I'm looking at this...

http://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-masks-safety-gear/purelite-xstream-lightweight-battery-powered-airshield

But - they don't give a price. Anyone know approximately how much they are? Would they be what I need?

Many thanks!

just order it online, they're free.

scotty60
2nd February 2009, 09:00 PM
just go to a automotive paint supplier and get a sunstrum face marsk,pre filter {packs of 10} and dust filter should be fine a3 or a5 cant look at my marsk its at work.they are a proven marsk they are used in just about ever smash shop in australia and have been for more then 20 years.not sure on price now but maybe around $80-90
cheers
scott :2tsup:

WOODY70
3rd February 2009, 08:53 AM
Hello Eliza,

You can grab the dust be gone mask from Dave at Slacks Creek.

For the guys that have not used them. They are garrenteed for 5 years cost $65-00 and are available in three sizes. Small, medium and large. Large for the guys with beards.

They DO NOT fogg your glasses! If they do it is an indication that they need a wash.

Best value for money dust mask you will ever buy.

Cheers
Woody
:2tsup:

Rum Pig
3rd February 2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Eliza
I'm like Paul and have facial hair so I find that dust mask's do not work for me so I use an industrial fan but a cheep $15 pedestal fan would be just as good. If you find that you are still getting dust then you can use it with the dust mask. you certainly do not need to speed $500 - $800 on a vented mask. If you know other turners in your area maybe go and look at there set up (and listen to there breathing).

Good luck

steck
3rd February 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Eliza,
I use a Triton Respirator.
As a part time asthmatic, one of the really good features of these Helmet and hood type respirators is that they keep dust off my head and neck as well.
I give myself a dusting off before I remove the helmet so there is not much dust left on me. When I remember to wear a dust coat, I can just about leave all the dust behind.
I have found some timbers much worse than others. American Red Cedar gave me asthma which lasted for weeks as well as skin rashes.

bobsreturn2003
3rd February 2009, 02:48 PM
its all a lot cheaper than a set of breathing gear!!!! safe turning bob

NeilS
5th February 2009, 03:39 PM
It all depends......

If your lungs are in good order and you only expect to turn from time to time for another 5-10 years, you might get away with fans and the like.
If your lungs are in good order and you are looking forward to turning for another 10-25 years and you don't use effective filters, you're at serious risk of developing lung disease according to research conducted by the Department of Public Health And Community Medicine, Faculty Of Medicine, University Of Sydney and the National Occupational Health and <O:p</O:pSafety Commission. Keep those good lungs in good order with effective breathing equipment.
Finding a few turners who have been at it for years and still going OK isn't a very scientific basis for making decisions. Also find those who can no longer manage to turn due to lung disease before you decide how important this is for you.
If you smoke, or already have any level of reduced lung function, or tend to have allergies, and, no matter how much turning you expect to do, you should adopt the most efficient air filtering methods that you can manage.
Spending some time with someone who has to carry a cylinder with them to get enough oxygen into their lungs to do anything other than sit may help you to decide how serious you want to take this and whether the breathing gear is worth the cost and hassle.
Being a No 4 (an asthmatic like Eliza, but not a smoker), for me it's a full helmet with high speed HEPA filter and high efficiency cyclone setup. I enjoy my turning and would like to continue to do so for many years yet.

Neil

Woodturnerjosh
5th February 2009, 04:05 PM
Just out of curiosity NeilS, what brand of respirator do you use?
Josh

Anne Munro
5th February 2009, 09:07 PM
I use a "North" Brand Full Face Respirator. It only cost about $300. It covers my whole face and does NOT fog up. You breath through two replacable air filters which you can replace when they are full of crap. There are no batteries involved. It is very easy to put on, fits snugly around my face and generally does a great job. It is not too heavy. I might add that I also have a microclene air filter which is always the first thing I put on when I go to my workshop. I also have a dust extractor which I ALWAYS put on just before I sand. Yet despite this I am onto my fourth set of air filters. Scary isn't it and I only bought it in about September last year and I am strictly a hobby turner. Anyway I bought it from my local OH and S supplier.

NeilS
6th February 2009, 02:13 PM
Just out of curiosity NeilS, what brand of respirator do you use?
Josh

Hi Josh

I use two respirators. An old Racal/3M Airlite Respirator (no longer on the market, but equivalent to Trend Airshield) for when I need to be very mobile and my own high efficiency rig for when I'm working about the lathe or bandsaw.

Some details of my rig here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=748248&postcount=14). Also a couple of photos attached. Sorry about the one of the mask, it was taken for another purpose but it is the only one I have to hand. It looks awkward as hung up there out of use, but I find it works just fine in use. The mask was constructed from a standard high impact face shield and connected to the HEPA via medical hoses and swivel joints (to avoid coiling).

The black hose is suspended on a system of flying foxes (can be partly seen in bottom left of first photo) that allows me to move about the workshop freely. The grey hose is very light and flexible and I am rarely aware that I have the mask on. The fact that I use it in preference to the Racal, besides the efficiency factor, is an indicator of this. For one thing it is much quieter.

I made the rig up for less than half the cost of the Racal/Airshield and it provides far greater filtering capacity.

Neil

Arron
9th February 2009, 10:36 PM
I hope this doesnt count as a thread hijack, but can anyone tell me where I can buy a dust be gone mask in Sydney

cheers
Arron

RETIRED
9th February 2009, 10:44 PM
I hope this doesnt count as a thread hijack, but can anyone tell me where I can buy a dust be gone mask in Sydney

cheers
ArronGet it mail order from Jim.

Arron
9th February 2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks but I'm after a bit of personal shopping here. Anyone ????

Arron

RETIRED
10th February 2009, 06:54 AM
I think Trend Timber might have them.

ElizaLeahy
10th February 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm getting a dust be gone at the end of the week from Dave.

Also pin head chuck!

Arron
10th February 2009, 09:08 AM
I think Trend Timber might have them.

Just rung them, apparently not - thanks anyway. Any other input welcome.

Arron