PDA

View Full Version : Hard Wood/Timber

Tony Morton
2nd February 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi All
First post for the year,I thought i would tell you about this afternoons effort. Well last week I selected a large jarra burl blank to make a bowl cut it to shape with bandsaw and chainsaw mounted on lathe and turnes till i had a bowl out side about 400 by 120 mills a couple of bark inclusions and a hole from rotten branch though I d leave this one natural as the previous burl I spent hours filling cracks and holes. Was able to finish the out side this morning and remounted on the lathe for start to hollowing after lunch. Well this is where the fun started started with p&n bowl gouge got a fef mills from starting point then nothing but dust and smoke. had a look at face od blank eveything clean but dry so sharpened the gouge and 30 mm scraper 10 seconds and dust I could get aprox 20mm wide stripabout 3-5 mmdeep per sharpening so I dug out another three heavy scrapers and old P&n and ran them in relay when they were all blunt Id sharpen the five this lasted for about the first inch then it gradually got softer and i eventually got it finished sandad to 400 grit and coat of wood wipi citrus and nut oil. Definatly the hardest piece of timbe that I have come acress so far.

Cheers Tony

Sawdust Maker
2nd February 2009, 08:40 PM
:photo2:

Ed Reiss
3rd February 2009, 01:28 PM
:worthless:

rsser
3rd February 2009, 01:49 PM
Sounds character-building Tony ;-}

Tony Morton
3rd February 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Nick & Ed
Took photos this morning and back to computer but cant find directions for posting photos any one know where they have gone.
Ern Yes certainly tried patience but well worth while in the end.

cheers Tony

Pat
3rd February 2009, 09:05 PM
In the FAQ (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_making_a_post)

rsser
4th February 2009, 11:51 AM

cheers Tony

Absolutely.

Have done one. Didn't have the dust you mentioned. Was it ingrained dirt do you reckon? Could explain the blunting of the tools.

Mine had one major crack. Stopped it with Blu-tak and poured in the epoxy. Mistake. Getting the Blu-tak out was a major undertaking as I'd left the bottom au naturel.

Got another, 'unnatural', blank sitting in the bank.

DJ’s Timber
4th February 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi Nick & Ed
Took photos this morning and back to computer but cant find directions for posting photos any one know where they have gone.

cheers Tony

Posting Pictures to Your Post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760)

Tony Morton
5th February 2009, 04:36 PM
Hi DJ and Pat
Thanks for the info have had trouble sizing photos got them down to 800x 680 but they were still way over the 100Kbs any way I think I have it now.
Ern The blank was very clean almost shiney grey and very dry but did have some gum viens whick may have been filled with abrasives you dont know what those fellows from the West will do when they know its coming over to this side, anyway the result was pleasing in the end.

cheers Tony95683

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2009, 08:19 PM
That's better
We believe now!
Nice bowl, Jarrah I believe has some silica in it and is thus a bit of a bugger on tools

rsser
5th February 2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, spekky bit of timber.

FWIW, apart from one burl bowl I've done several pencil jars out of Jarrah and not found the stuff to be anywhere near eg. brushbox for edge dulling, tho b/box is notorious for its silica content.

Ed Reiss
6th February 2009, 12:55 AM
Sounds like it was a real challenge and rough on the tool edges....but you did good, nice bowl:2tsup: