PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in the window !!! --- What do you do?

mick2000
17th May 2004, 04:54 PM
:confused: Hi Folks,

I have just recently noticed there is quite a bit of a gap in many windows in my house, making the house cold. :mad:

With the winter setting in, i have wondered if there is any rubbery type products ( or any type ) i can get ( buy/make ), whick can be used to seal these gaps on the inside of the window frame. i would of course still want to be able to open these windows easily.

I would appreciate any suggestions if you have been in this situation before and have done something about it.

Cheers Big Ears!

Mick :cool:

jackiew
17th May 2004, 05:05 PM
mick ... what kind of windows do you have? casement (hinged on the side ),
awning ( hinged on the top ) or sash ( slide up and down ). And where are the gaps (hinge), where the window shuts? where the sashes meet?

mick2000
17th May 2004, 05:31 PM
I 'd say it is the awning tpye with sliding hinge on both side. You push the window open with a handle on the button.

The gaps (2-3mm) appear to have been caused by either the warpping window or frame.

Mick :confused:

Gumby
17th May 2004, 07:24 PM
Strips of foam with self adhesive backing available at Bunnings or most similar type stores. Comes in a roll, a couple of different thicknesses and it's cheap.

jackiew
18th May 2004, 09:31 AM
i recommend the foam too. Got it round quite a few windows and doors and it does make a difference.

just make sure that you follow the instructions about cleaning the surface before you stick the foam down. If you don't then sections come loose, miraculously turn themselves over, stick to the opening light and then when you open the window the whole lot rips off :-(

mick2000
18th May 2004, 09:57 AM
Strips of foam with self adhesive backing available at Bunnings or most similar type stores. Comes in a roll, a couple of different thicknesses and it's cheap.

Much appreciated. i guess i will be going to Bunnings again then.

Thanks again

Mick2000

mick2000
18th May 2004, 10:00 AM
i recommend the foam too. Got it round quite a few windows and doors and it does make a difference.

just make sure that you follow the instructions about cleaning the surface before you stick the foam down. If you don't then sections come loose, miraculously turn themselves over, stick to the opening light and then when you open the window the whole lot rips off :-(

Thanks for the suggestion Jackiew. i shall give the foam a go this weekend.

Mick2000 :)

Bert
18th May 2004, 05:11 PM
Try this link

Raven seems to have the product you may be after.

http://www.pacificcommerce.com.au/raven/search/catalog1.asp?category=107811&cat=2

Bert
18th May 2004, 05:13 PM
Raven's home page if you need it.

http://www.raven.com.au/domino/raven/ravenweb.nsf/html-v/homepageAU