PDA

View Full Version : What I turned today - feb3rd

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 06:40 PM
The bowl is poplar - what an boring wood. Light in both colour and weight. I got the walls nice and thin though, it's nice to work with.

The little pot is campher laurel.

The hair sticks are...

silver ash, camper laurel, qld mapel, red cedar (you guess which is which)

The big problem of the day is still a problem, I think I'll ignore it until it crawls away. The knot FLEW out at me, and now it has a HUGE hole in it! What do you think? Firewood?

Oh - the bowl inside the bowl - that's the one I turned yesterday. The little one is Zoe's M&M bowl, the big one is MINE MWHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!

watson
3rd February 2009, 06:49 PM
The big problem of the day is still a problem, I think I'll ignore it until it crawls away. The knot FLEW out at me, and now it has a HUGE hole in it! What do you think? Firewood?

G'day Eliza,
I'm not a turner, but I watch your stuff and enjoy it.
sometimes a knot hole like that would be a good thing, so maybe make it a feature.

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 07:54 PM
G'day Eliza,
I'm not a turner, but I watch your stuff and enjoy it.
sometimes a knot hole like that would be a good thing, so maybe make it a feature.

Problem is - I think there is something LIVING in it!!!

:o

watson
3rd February 2009, 08:08 PM
:rotfl:

Ad de Crom
3rd February 2009, 08:27 PM
Eliza,very nice work at the hair pins and the holder.
Poplar a boring wood? I'm not agree, I turned lots of poplar in the past, yes it's light weight turningwood, but it can be surprising wood too. I like your poplar bowl you made for yourself.
That black spot in the piece on your lathe looks like rotten wood, don't know how deep you have to go to get rid of this nasty spot. But I don't think there is something like a creepy little animal waiting to meet you :D
It seems to me that you have a lot of fun in your workshop, by seeing a lot of turnings from you the latest time. Well it's a wonderful hobby, when I smell wood I'm lost :)
Keep em going!!!
Ad :2tsup:

orificiam
3rd February 2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Eliza I've been following your lathe work since you got your lathe and I can't believe
how far you've come,love your work.keep it coming.Anyway wood is wood if you can turn it ----Turn it.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
4th February 2009, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I agree with Ad de Crom about the poplar. Nothing wrong with the timber, nor is nothing wrong with that bowl you turn out of it. In fact, for what I can see from the pic, the piece was very well finished, I like it!
Would it be boring if all the timbers were medium to dark red or brown?, same grain pattern?, some weight?, same texture?, same smell? and feeling? did I forgot anything else...? :doh: :D

I got a medium size branch (8" diameter at the bigger end) of liquid amber yesterday, this is also a very light coloured timber, as I notice from some other pics on this forum previously. Is my first time with liquid amber, I only wish that I could have the whole tree (it is big...!)

Some fresh cut green poplar, can be almost snow white, and there is a special liquid (sealer) that maintain that light colour for ever. This product stops the darking/ageing of timbers but has to be used immediately after the timber comes out of the lathe or exposed to air.

Snow like wood shavings from poplar logs I cut a few months ago, pics bellow.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Paul39
4th February 2009, 11:05 AM
Eliza,

It has not taken you long to get addicted and quite good at turning.

I am jealous of your output. It hovers above and below 0 C. here at the moment, high of -4 C. tomorrow, and my lathe is in an unheated semi-open basement.

The stick with the knot hole would be good to practice your interrupted cut turning abilities. Take very light cuts. I would use a gouge rather than a skew. Getting the pointy part of a skew in the knot hole will be exciting. Be sure you wear your face shield in case you hook the knot hole and the stick comes out of the lathe.

You are progressing wonderfully, keep turning.

Lutefisk
4th February 2009, 11:09 AM
You could always fill the knot with coffee grounds and soak it with thin superglue. That finishes off nice. Good work on the hair sticks. I may have to make myself some for summer.
Dale

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 11:24 AM
Coffee grounds and superglue sounds fun! It will have to wait until I have both. But it didn't crawl away in the night, so I guess it will hang around until I'm ready.

I just realised that at this time of year the sun is on my lathe at this time of day... I'll have to come inside for awhile :(