PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to turn!!

Ed Reiss
5th February 2009, 01:39 AM
:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no: ...boys and girls, don't try this at home, it might be hazardous to your health:doh:

YouTube - black walnut 2

Woodturnerjosh
5th February 2009, 08:12 AM
That was almost painful to watch!:o

ElizaLeahy
5th February 2009, 09:52 AM
At first I thought this thread was about me! I'm so relieved!

It's like watching a hoon mis drive a lovely car. You think "he doesn't deserve that car! I should have it!"

Robomanic
5th February 2009, 01:22 PM
Good clutch :doh:

watsrags
5th February 2009, 01:56 PM
I am pleased that I am joining my local woody's club , otherwise I could end up like that ********** or badly injured

RETIRED
5th February 2009, 04:03 PM
Ok. So what is he doing wrong?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th February 2009, 04:16 PM
Mainly just not keeping his tool-rest in close enough, esp. considering the way he's cutting aggressively enough to constantly stall out his underpowered lathe.

I know those who'd argue that back-cutting "uphill" with the gouge is a no-no, but I'd disagree. He has hogged it out quickly, if a tad scarily to an onlooker, and he did make most finishing cuts downhill, so no real boo-boo there.

His biggest "mistake" was forgetting to edit out the comment about "once it's on the computer we can edit..." :D

Woodturnerjosh
5th February 2009, 04:25 PM
Considering that it looks like it's a rather large capacity bowl lathe I'd say he's incredibly underpowered (although that has nothing to do with him) or his belts are too slack.
I'm not going to argue with the up-hill cutting thing but from my very limited experience with green turning and roughing out I'd say that he could have done the job faster and with more control going from the rim to the center.
I totally agree with Skew about the tool-rest!
Cheers
Josh
p.s. I am more than happy to be wrong about all of the above (even my name:U)

ElizaLeahy
5th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Mainly just not keeping his tool-rest in close enough, esp. :D

Yay! I got it right! I also said to Zoe that he was pushing instead of letting the tool edge do the work.

bosco555
5th February 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi All,

Innovative lathe, even if he seems a bit of a "bush" turner. Mr. Safety himself!!
Nevertheless, It would've worked better if:
1) He had "trued" the work first - all faces
2) He had a sharp gouge
3) The lathe ran at slightly faster pace
4) He didn't maul the poor piece of wood - Geppetto's turning in his grave, excuse the pun....

texx
5th February 2009, 09:54 PM
i think he should replace the belts and pulleys with sprocket and chain , for drive system :o
then it would be fun to watch

Ed Reiss
6th February 2009, 12:43 AM

Do you mean aside from torturing a beautiful piece of walnut, torturing the viewing audience, and the stupid-a&% statement of "that's what I'm talking about"??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th February 2009, 06:44 AM
Do you mean aside from torturing a beautiful piece of walnut, torturing the viewing audience, and the stupid-a&% statement of "that's what I'm talking about"??

Aw, c'mon! If the ability to make an entertaining video or to NOT spout inanities are prerequisites to being a "good" turner, I'm changing hobbies... 'cos I'm a dismal failure at this one! Maybe I should become a wood-torturer instead? (I'm already well on my way... :D)

Maybe you should've titled the thread "How NOT to make a turning video" instead? Or perhaps "10 good reasons to edit before you post in public..."? :wink:

Ed Reiss
6th February 2009, 07:09 AM
Aw, c'mon! If the ability to make an entertaining video or to NOT spout inanities are prerequisites to being a "good" turner, I'm changing hobbies... 'cos I'm a dismal failure at this one!

...in this guy's case, the two weren't mutually exclusive:doh:

Maybe I should become a wood-torturer instead? (I'm already well on my way... :D)

...I can understand that after wrestling with that Red Mallee piece a few months ago:C:~:U

Maybe you should've titled the thread "How NOT to make a turning video" instead? Or perhaps "10 good reasons to edit before you post in public..."? :wink:

...sure, why not...all equally descriptive:U

Robomanic
6th February 2009, 07:53 AM

On that shape in Walnut - not using a bowl saver and keeping the cores!